The MoFo Top 100 Westerns: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I had Support Your Local Sheriff! at #24. And like Holden I grew up watching this as a kid, and always found it hilarious, and I've seen it a couple times recently, and it's surprising how well it holds up for what it is. I'm glad the two points I gave it made a difference.

One of its classic moments:

Heyyyyy... Just noticed this .. wasn't the cut off 50 points?
No. I would have liked it to be, as that usually requires three or four people have voted for it, at least, instead of as few as two voters that you get in the thirties. But I didn't get quite enough ballots for that and too many people are whiny babies if you make it less than a hundred, so here we are. I was THIS close to publishing it as a Top 75, but I relented and did the hundred.

Enjoy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

No. I would have liked it to be, as that usually requires three or four people have voted for it, at least, instead of as few as two voters that you get in the thirties. But I didn't get quite enough ballots for that and too many people are whiny babies if you make it less than a hundred, so here we are. I was THIS close to publishing it as a Top 75, but I relented and did the top hundred.

Enjoy.
Glad you did 100 for one, I suppose I’m one of the whiny babies

No. I would have liked it to be, as that usually requires three or four people have voted for it, at least, instead of as few as two voters that you get in the thirties.

As it ever been considered to have a minimum number of votes as cutoff instead of a minimum number of points? Just out of curiosity, how many movies have three votes or more?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Considering that I don’t think I’ve ever hated a movie more than I hated The Music Man, that’s not saying much.
Sounds like ...Trouble, to me.
I mean, I guess we can pick a little. Maybe just talk a little? oh the chickies, cheep cheep cheep. talk a lot, pick a little more! You could say my feathers are ruffled. Right here in River City!

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Sorry. I got no spots on the list to brag about, but I'm all over Music Man references. Mostly, just to show my face.

i watched support your local sherriff (and gunfighter) when i was probably 8 or 9 with my family and remember really liking it but i couldn’t justify putting it on my list since i haven’t seen it in so long. but i remember thinking james garner was so damn cool, i still occasionally think of the joke where he stops the fight by just saying “hold it, hold it” and then says “ok go ahead” once he’s out of the way. just rewatched that clip on youtube for the first time in well over a decade and it’s weird that i perfectly remembered the exact intonation of his line reading yet i can’t remember any details about most movies i watched a month ago. also jack elam’s strange face evidently made a strong impression on me because i’ve seen him in several movies since and yet i’ll always think of him as the deputy from this movie.
criticker

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Support Your Local Sheriff! is my #22. It's the funniest film on my list - another film I've watched almost every year. Joan Hackett is especially lovable. Duck, You Sucker! was on my shortlist. Love Coburn, Steiger and the Morricone score.

My List

11. Oklahoma!
22. Support Your Local Sheriff!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
somebody had Local Sheriff as their sixth overall pick, making it the king of the 41s.

I was the one who had Support Your Local Sheriff at #6 on my list. I've seen this movie several times, and it was practically a lock to make my list, but I rewatched it, and I loved it so much that it moved all the way up to #6. I've always been a fan of James Garner, and this is one of my favorites of his movies. I would have liked to see it place higher on the countdown, but I'm just happy that it made it at all.

I tried watching Duck, You Sucker!, but it was one of the few movies that I disliked enough that I turned it off before it was over.

My list so far:
1) Oklahoma! (1955)
6) Support Your Local Sheriff (1969)
12) North to Alaska (1960)
25) Incredible Rocky Mountain Race (TV Movie - 1977)

Duck, You Sucker! (1971)

I have mixed feelings when it comes to the work of Sergio Leone. His films are full of big-ideas, (often with payoff and hit out of the park), other times his ideas get “too big” and he seems to lose focus of what would have made a potentially better picture. I guess in some frame; this is an ode to his genius—because it is better to have too many ideas than too few.

Let’s not mince words here, from outset this film declares in bold print it will be about the Mexican Revolution… but also too, it seems to “show” and “unfold” something entirely different. That of a potential bank heist and Mesa Verde. Which in my opinion the latter plot would have made for a better film—much to my, and I’m sure others, dismay. But let’s not dwell in the “what-ifs” of what the film could have potentially been. Let’s focus instead on what it actually was.

Duck, You Sucker! is about two men, a bandit (Juan) and a revolutionary demolitions man (John). Together they form an unlikely team. Fate seems to bring them together and keep them together until their final explosive separation. This “Fate” concept seems to be what the film is about—particularly for the character of Juan. “Fate”/John rides in on wheels towards Juan and his bandit family, bringing a storm of explosions with him. Initially Juan sees John as an opportunity to “get rich” at the National Bank of Mesa Verde. But again, if you think this film is going to take that turn, you’d be wrong. What the film is about is “Fate” and it’s unpredictable, often chaotic, consequences. The audience is in the same ride as Juan. We seem to get pulled into a revolution we don’t care to go into or want much a part of… but alas we are.

Sergio Leone films often share these sentiments of “Fate.” Perhaps so much so that his films often seem to “drag on” from this event to that event to the next… but in reality this is entirely intentional and it does communicate the point he’s trying to make.

Sergio Leone is perhaps the most “Hollywood” of the Italian directors—certainly the most accessible to outside audiences, but he works with a very distinct style that is totally his. That of his framing of the camera and that of the music. As a matter of fact, his film scores seem to “predict” the work itself. Who and what you’ll see, (like locations or plot devices), are often given their own “themes.” So who shows up and when can often be “predicted” in the soundtrack. All done by marvelous composer Ennio Morricone. Meanwhile he frames his shots very close to the actors faces, extreme close-ups for example, or even in “insert shots” for detail. His characters are often very loud or very quiet. Such as Juan, (in this film being the loud one), and John, (being the quiet one). In these ways he seems to be one of the most “recognizable” directors out there. Most certainly.

With all this said, did I enjoy Duck, You Sucker!? Absolutely, because I knew what I was getting into. Truth be told, I longed for a bank heist film, honestly I did… but too, I know that’s not the point of this film. In fact, the point of the film is in opposition of that actually. So when my expectations are in line with that of Fatalism, I enjoyed my experience much more. My rating:

My Rating:
9/10
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Slow West (2015)

This one popped up at the western countdown and it seemed interesting. Maybe I had my hopes a bit too high as the primary feeling I have is a disappointment. It's an OK film but I was expecting a completely different kind of western. I found this to be more like a comic book film than the somber and occasionally brutal thing I was led to believe to expect. It was quite pretty on the eye but almost too saturated (it looked almost like a video game at times).

Two of the biggest movie stars of their eras, and who both made some meaningful Westerns, enter our countdown here. In Hombre, adapted from an Elmore Leonard novel, Paul Newman stars as John Russell, a White man who was raised by and as an Apache. He winds up on a doomed stagecoach ride full of prejudiced passengers, including Fredric March’s Indian Agent, who need his help after they are held up and left for dead by some bandits led by the gloriously slimy Richard Boone. In The Hanging Tree Gary Cooper stars as a doctor in a Montana gold rush town who secretly helps a thief elude the noose only to wind up on a path there himself. A fun, early role for George C. Scott as Cooper’s rival in town and for the ever reliable Karl Malden, plus a catchy theme song sung by Marty Robbins.

Hombre and The Hanging Tree both finished with 42 points, both with three votes a piece. Hombre’s highest vote was a seventh place but Hanging Tree did one better with a sixth rising it one spot higher on our countdown.

Hombre was on my list in the sixteenth position. My favorite of the many Westerns that ruled the television airwaves in the ‘50s and ‘60s is ”Have Gun – Will Travel” starring Richard Boone as Paladin, a classic literature-spouting force of justice on the high plains. When Boone left that series as the hero clad in black he played almost exclusively villains. None more gleefully evil than his slimy Grimes here. That smile and bellowing laugh are the kind of bad guy you never forget. Of course Paul Newman is going to get the best of him by the end of the flick, but what a ride! And how exactly was he figuring on gettin’ back down those stairs?

HOLDEN PIKE'S LIST
16. Hombre (#88)
25. Support Your Local Sheriff! (#89)

Sadly couldn't find either Hombre or The Hanging Tree to watch with my limited resources so neither had a chance to figure on my list.

Seen: 8/14
My list:  

Faildictions (yee-haw version 1.01):
86. The Fighting Kentuckian
85. Ulzana's Raid

Welcome to the human race...
Duck, You Sucker! is an easy pick for Leone's weakest overall film that comes across as an attempt to blend the humour and thrills of the Dollars trilogy with the more elegaic parts of Once Upon a Time in the West without really nailing either. I don't even think I considered it for a shortlist. I have seen Hombre but have no strong opinion about it one way or another - didn't hate it, I guess.

I watched The Hanging Tree because I’ve known and loved the Marty Robbins tune for years. I had no idea what to expect and I usually don’t go for movies of that era, but I LOVED it. I’m a sucker for movies about complicated characters and Gary Cooper’s Doc Frail fit the bill perfectly. I only wrote it up in my movie log once, but I ended up getting the blu-ray for Christmas and have watched it four or five times. It’s almost embarrassing how much I like that movie.

I watched Hombre but didn’t care for it.

My Ballot:
6. The Hanging Tree (#87)
12. The Dark Valley (#92)
18. Slow West (#95)
25. In Pursuit of Honor (One-Pointers)