Lets Talk Football

Tools    

It is, but I don't think that'll happen. Nor the 12th which I think is the current favourite. The lack of leadership in the UK (everywhere, government, unions, football, the lot) is breathtaking and heartbreaking at the same time. They'll probably cobble something together for the end of June, beginning of July to complete the season. If that's what happens. I think even if they try to start on the 12th the players will be in such bad shape that injuires will be far more likely.

For a lot of players in the Premier League, this will be the longest break from football they'll have had in their careers. If you need 4-6 weeks in pre-training to get ready for a season (even after a tournament year) then surely you need at least that after a total break? We'll see what they say tomorrow.

For the record, League Two has ended its season. I suspect League One will do the same because, to go back and play with no income will finish every club in that league. Much of the Championship will be worried about the same thing.

Quite enjoyed yesterday's football in Germany. First half of Dortmund but then turned over to watch Leipzig try and break down 11 men. Had a real moment of delight at the end too, as it appeared that Freiburg had nicked the win only for VAR to rule it out.

I think it will be interesting to see if the Premiership restarts now that several players are virtually on strike. You can hardly argue with their case either as who would want to play football if you ran the risk of killing your nearest and dearest at the end of it

Celtic declared champions of Scotland, and deservedly, 13 points and massive F/A difference ahead. Hearts to be relegated, unless there is a restructure to expand the Premiership next season with Dundee Utd being promoted.

Which means only question now is what happens with the Semi-Finals & Final of the Scottish Cup, as it will still be completed but may not be done until the start of the new season gets underway.

The big decision for United this summer: De Gea or Henderson? I think money may well be the deciding factor and I can make an argument either way. Maybe it'll depend on whether United make the CL or not?

Depends on how much Real want De Gea. At 29 he is still young for a goalie. Courtois was also struggling last year.

You lot won't get as much you would have got couple of years back, but at least you have a readymade replacement, who I still don't think is at the level of De Gea, but is young and very promising.

I haven't watched Man Utd that much this season, but Maguire looks poor everytime I see him. And Daniel James isn't really that good either.

Depends on how much Real want De Gea. At 29 he is still young for a goalie. Courtois was also struggling last year.

You lot won't get as much you would have got couple of years back, but at least you have a readymade replacement, who I still don't think is at the level of De Gea, but is young and very promising.

I haven't watched Man Utd that much this season, but Maguire looks poor everytime I see him. And Daniel James isn't really that good either.
Courtois has been solid this season. Madrid won't be interested anymore.

The problem with keepers is that once the dip starts to be the norm, they don't recover. Van Der Sar is the only one I can think of who had a rough season or two but then recovered and became even better than his previous peak, IMO. With a settled and improved defence I'd give De Gea one more season, but I can see the sense in trying Henderson for a season and seeing if he can take over.

Maguire is OK. Better than we had but not as good as I'd like. James is young and inexperienced. I think he was bought for the coming season and beyond but United's paucity of squad has meant a lot more playing time than someone of his current ability should receive. Luckily (or maybe not) he had an instant impact on the team with a couple of goals and his pace means he'll always be an option on the right. United haven't had a right sided midfielder since Valencia moved to right back/was no longer good enough to hold the spot. If United can get Fernades and Pogba playing in the midfield with their vision then the threat of the pace of our front three will provide a constant thread. He does strike a ball very sweetly though.

@Fabulous
Wasn't he dropped in November during a match, if I am not wrong?

@honeykid
That Pogba - Fernandes partnership looks mint. You lot were playing fluid football during several moments in the match yesterday. Looks promising for the future.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Oh no, the scum are about to win their first premier league title.

It's been fantastic. Last night wasn't good for me, but I expected that. In fact, I think United played a lot better than I thought they would. If they're weren't so tired (or we had a world class finisher) I feel confident we'd have won. But other than that, apart from PSG making it through, the team I wanted gone has gone every time. We managed to get rid of one nation state, the dysfunctional, anti-football Barca (I know people hold them up as the epitome of football and, at their best they were, but they've actually been the epitome of superstar, one man team football for the last 2 or 3 years), City went out (as a United fan that's always good) and Atleti are just dull for the neutral.

A centre back is really needed IMO and while I'd like to see Sancho at United, surely the money is better spent on Koulibaly (can't see Woodward allowing that) or at least a defender with more pace than we currently have. City took Ake and I think he'd have been a good buy if Ole is intent on getting Sancho. BTW, I'm not one for highlights or showreels to show how good a player is or how well he'll work in another team. However, as we were struggling to score a goal yesterday, he was doing this.

And it led to a goal. It wasn't just something fancy which didn't do anything.

Go to 2.40

I know two good teams have fallen to Lyon and City certainly should've beaten them, but I really hope Bayern do the business tonight because I can't see PSG losing to Lyon, whereas I'm hoping Bayern will have more than enough to put PSG away by a couple of goals at least.

Also, I know that both Messi and Barca have their fanboys but am I completely crazy in thinking that Barca losing Messi wouldn't be the worst thing for the club? I've thought this for the last couple of years and I've seen nothing yet which makes me think it wouldn't. I know that the problems at Barca are upstairs and all that should change by next year (unless they call an early election) but I can't see them winning the CL in the next 2 seasons. Maybe more? I'm guessing that Messi is only interested in the CL and, at his age, a move would make sense for him, too. In a perfect world he'd go to Juve so we could see him play with Ronaldo, but City is probably the more likely. I'm guessing that PSG is the only other possible destination.

After all that, does anyone actually think he'll leave Barca?

I doubt Messi will ever leave Barca. Doesn't strike that kind of a player. For Ronaldo it was about leaving behind a legacy, and to be fair to him he has.

If Messi leaves, he will be going back to Argentina, but maybe after he is really done as a footballer.

You are right, @honeykid that only PSG and City can afford him now.

As for Barca, yeah the powers upstairs have ruined the club. Coutinho was never a 50 million player, let alone 132mil.

I read somewhere that they have spent a quarter of a billion on players in the recent past and most of them like Malcom, Dembele, Cou, etc haven't adapted to the side. And they also have senior players on massive wages, which makes moving them even more difficult.

Koeman has an unforgiving job. They need someone like Zidane. Zidane didn't take **** at Madrid with their big money signings. Xavi can do that.

As for the UCL, don't want PSG to win, even if Bayern tie with us on 6.

As for Barca, yeah the powers upstairs have ruined the club. Coutinho was never a 50 million player, let alone 132mil.

I read somewhere that they have spent a quarter of a billion on players in the recent past and most of them like Malcom, Dembele, Cou, etc haven't adapted to the side. And they also have senior players on massive wages, which makes moving them even more difficult.

Koeman has an unforgiving job. They need someone like Zidane. Zidane didn't take **** at Madrid with their big money signings. Xavi can do that.
Yeah, I've never been sold on Coutinho as a best of the best player. Fantastic on his day, and he had quite a few good days, but just couldn't see him at Barca and definitely not at that price. He is one of the reasons I want Bayern to win though, as Barca will have to pay Liverpool more money because he's 'won' the CL. Even as a United fan and knowing it benefits Liverpool, I still want it to happen because it's just too funny.

Forget quarter of a billion, they spent about that much on Coutinho and Dembele. Throw in Malcolm, Greizmann, Arthur and De Jong and I thnk you're over 400m (regardless of whether it's Pounds, Euros, Dollars or add-ons) in the last 3 years.

I think of Koeman a bit like I think of Boris Johnson (the UK PM) it's the job he's always wanted, but he's not really good enough for it, but the opportunity has arisen and he doesn't really think he'll get a better chance to fullfil his dream. Of course, the repercussins are slightly different.

Other than Seville fans, does anyone see them having more than a punchers chance against Inter tonight? The only good thing about getting beaten on Monday was that I don't have to watch United lose to Inter's unwanted United players tonight.

I wouldn't bet against Sevilla in Europa. Bastards love this competition. I remember us playing well against them in the first half of that final few years, and then they came out in the second half and just took their chances and did nothing more.

Hoping for another Banega masterclass against Inter. He was brilliant against your lot.

On a side note, Maguire got arrested. Reckons he loses his captaincy if he is at fault.

I wouldn't bet against Sevilla in Europa. Bastards love this competition. I remember us playing well against them in the first half of that final few years, and then they came out in the second half and just took their chances and did nothing more.
I get that completely, that's why I said nothing but a punchers chance. That's exactly what they did against you. I can see Seville thinking "penalties will be OK. If we can nick a goal before that, then so much the better" but Conte will have this team all set. I wouldn't be that surprised if neither of them wanted the ball that much to begin with.

Hoping for another Banega masterclass against Inter. He was brilliant against your lot.
He was good, but we threw that one away. A sharp forward would've put a couple of those away IMO. I thought Bono was good, but he didn't have to make any world class saves, IMO.

On a side note, Maguire got arrested. Reckons he loses his captaincy if he is at fault.
I wouldn't think so, but it does depend on what exactly has happened

Told ya. Sevilla and Europa are a match made in heaven. It's crazy how efficient they are in this competition. Not great, but they usually get the job done.

And yeah, I agree that a better striker in the semis, and you lot would have been in the final instead.