Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I liked this movie. Very strange & imaginative. Production values very high.

Millionth re-watch.

I have ZERO interest in basketball, but really liked this movie. Affleck showed his vulnerability.

HEARTBURN
(1986)

First viewing. Underrated dramedy.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Elevator to the Gallows

4.5/5 Stars

Truth be told, this film did have some "dry" moments which seemed to drag on longer than they should have, but I felt they were few and far between. But the film features a wonderful cool-jazz score by Miles Davis, and the ending was rather satisfying. Amazing that this is a first feature for Malle. This is a feature which is surprisingly tantalizing. Will watch again.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

I enjoyed the film, and I was a huge Fischer fan back when he was beating everyone, leading up to his crushing of Spassky.

My gripe was in casting Toby Maguire as Fischer. He was almost perfectly wrong. He's too small, too mamby-pamby, and couldn't intimidate anyone. Fischer was tall, assertive, brilliant, unpredictable, and a killer. Sitting across the table from him must have been like sitting across from Satan.

Actually Schreiber would have been better playing Fischer, and they could have got someone else for Spassky.
Yeah, agree 100%, his acting range is pretty unvaried which was not required for this film. Cannot think of a better idea than yours for casting!

Spellbound

4.5/5 Stars

Wonderful film albeit a bit "psychoanalytically dated," which is honestly that's about the only draw back to the film itself. When it get's too "psychoanalytically preachy" is when I find some of the fault in it, especially since psychoanalysis has come so far since the 1940's. Otherwise it's a great crime thriller of true Hitchcock form. Definitely recommend.

Malevolence 2 - Pure Garbage. Just unnecessary screaming and it was a total rip off of an older movie on Amazon Prime. Once I locate the original, I'll update this post. Amazon Prime has some phenomenal movies guys. Great for Quarantine right now.

Elevator to the Gallows

4.5/5 Stars

Truth be told, this film did have some "dry" moments which seemed to drag on longer than they should have, but I felt they were few and far between. But the film features a wonderful cool-jazz score by Miles Davis, and the ending was rather satisfying. Amazing that this is a first feature for Malle. This is a feature which is surprisingly tantalizing. Will watch again.
Oh boy, I forgot how lovely Jeanne Moreau was in 1958...

Spellbound

4.5/5 Stars

Wonderful film albeit a bit "psychoanalytically dated," which is honestly that's about the only draw back to the film itself. When it get's too "psychoanalytically preachy" is when I find some of the fault in it, especially since psychoanalysis has come so far since the 1940's. Otherwise it's a great crime thriller of true Hitchcock form. Definitely recommend.
I liked it too. Here's my review:

Spellbound(1945)

Directed by Alfred Hitchcock from a screenplay by Ben Hecht and Angus MacPhail, this is a different application of
noir from a time when the style was still young. Rather than a detective, we have a psychoanalyst, while the early protagonists are not who or what that they appear to be.

The main characters are Gregory Peck, who plays the young newly installed head of a mental hospital, and Ingrid Bergman who shines as a prominent psychiatrist on staff. The inimitable Leo G. Carroll plays the previous head of the hospital who had been forced into retirement. Michael Chekhov (of the Chekhov acting method) plays Bergman’s teacher and mentor.

Bergman notices some peculiar behavior by Peck, and suggests psychoanalysis. During his analysis some shocking truths come out which set up a series of criminal discoveries, escape, further revelations, and death. Naturally Peck and Bergman are drawn to each other, which attraction flows to a romantic ending.

Mention must be made of the superb dream sequences authored by the surrealist artist Salvador Dali. They remain as some of the only video work by Dali in film. The sequences constructed by Dali and Hitchcock were reportedly initially 20 minutes in length, but producer David O. Selznick didn’t approve, and had them cut to roughly 2 minutes. This unfortunate deletion resulted in the loss of that valuable footage, remaining only in some photographic stills.

The score went to Miklos Rozsa when his normal collaborator, Bernard Herrmann was busy with other projects. The music featured the novel use of the theramin to underpin the weird scenes. Rozsa has used it once before to great effect in
The Lost Weekend earlier in 1945.

Spellbound was the final film while under a 7 year contract with Selznick. Hitchcock had directed several films for other studios during that time, notable among them was Suspicion (1941) which was his first American film as both producer and director. Freed from Selznick’s meddling Hitchcock turned out several top pictures which lead into his most productive and memorable 1954-64 era.

Hitchcock characterized the film as, “Just another manhunt story wrapped up in pseudo-psychoanalysis.” Yet
Spellbound is a fine film with an other-worldly feel to it despite its serious themes.

Interstellar (2014)

First rewatch in a long time for this one, and I still enjoy the mindbending portrayals here. The Matt Damon character still confounds me on exactly what his intentions were though...This was the first time I realized Timothee Chalamet plays his son at the beginning haha

Videodrome (1983) - 5.5/10/ The movie was cooky. It might be good, it might be great. But its just not my cup of tea.. I can only suspend my disbelief only so much! The movie has its moments, but overall not that impressed.

Videodrome (1983) - 5.5/10/ The movie was cooky. It might be good, it might be great. But its just not my cup of tea.. I can only suspend my disbelief only so much! The movie has its moments, but overall not that impressed.
There are two types of people in this world. People who like James Woods' giant chest vagina, and people who don't.

There are two types of people in this world. People who like James Woods' giant chest vagina, and people who don't.

I firmly fall on the latter

Caddyshack

2.5/5 Stars

Wasn't a big fan of this movie. The film is a giant non-sequitur. Just a collection of random hodgepodge events from the next, each not the least bit funny as the last. The reason it only seemed to score any points for me is because "it was a film" and "barely tolerable" at that.