Great Movies Written By Philosophers

Tools    

Great movie written by a philosopher? Isn't that why the oxymoron was invented? I'm thinking that a movie version of Critique of Pure Reason is way down the list when it comes to financial backing.

Welcome to the human race...
Also depends on your definition of "philosopher", it seems (and "great movie" for that matter since I didn't think Visconti's The Stranger was particularly good but I guess that's a subjective thing).

Great movie written by a philosopher? Isn't that why the oxymoron was invented? I'm thinking that a movie version of Critique of Pure Reason is way down the list when it comes to financial backing.
Dear lord. I can't even picture what that would look like, but I know I want to see it.

Heidegger might be interesting, stylistically.

Stardust Memories

Purple Rose of Cairo

Although Woody Allen is not a Philosopher in his own right, Many of his movies are heavily influenced by the likes of Sartre and perhaps Camus. The two movies above are excellent presentations of the existentialist viewpoint.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Stardust Memories

Purple Rose of Cairo

Although Woody Allen is not a Philosopher in his own right, Many of his movies are heavily influenced by the likes of Sartre and perhaps Camus. The two movies above are excellent presentations of the existentialist viewpoint.
I've only seen a couple of Woody's movies, but I think Sartre actually wrote some screenplays. As for Camus, I did like "The Stranger", but the idea that because a man didn't remorse for his mother's funeral must mean he's guilty for other crimes.

The Stranger wasn't really philosophy, but a somewhat philosophical novel that wandered off into the weeds of existentialism. Rather than describing the philosophy, it was an attempt to portray life through the lens of existentialism -

“Existentialism”, therefore, may be defined as the philosophical theory which holds that a further set of categories, governed by the norm of authenticity, is necessary to grasp human existence. To approach existentialism in this categorial way may seem to conceal what is often taken to be its “heart” (Kaufmann 1968: 12), namely, its character as a gesture of protest against academic philosophy, its anti-system sensibility, its flight from the “iron cage” of reason."

Just try to actually make a movie with this as a script. Much of the usual stuff of movies - dramatic arguments, horse chases, car chases, starship battles, grand speeches, romances, wars, police stories, etc, have way too much action.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being based on the book by Milan Kundera.. It helps to read the book to make sense of the movie.

Actually, Much of Kundera's work would make excellent film material, including: The Joke, The Book on Laughter and Forgetting, Immortality, and Life is Elsewhere.

More like there sum of movies that are inspired by the existed philosophical works or ideas; talk existentialism, sure there plenty of it.

I guess the so-called or labeled as philosophers that also exercised their ideas through fiction is not much, to begin with, so did the adaptation; a guy like Camus, Sartre, or even part of Nietzche and Kierkegaard. Camus himself rejects the label and thinks himself more as an artist/writer.

Other than that, I think we can look at work based on non-philosopher writers like Dostoyevsky, Melville, Kafka, Herman Hesse, Oscar Wilde (and more) for example because of nature of their works as philosophical fiction.

More like there sum of movies that are inspired by the existed philosophical work or ideas, especially existentialism.
I guess the sum of the so-called or labeled as philosophers that also pursued their ideas through fiction is not much, to begin with; a guy like Camus, Sartre, or even part of Nietzche and Kierkegaard. Camus himself rejects the label and thinks himself more as an artist/writer.

Other than that, I think we can look at work based on [non-philosopher] writers like Dostoyevsky, Kafka, Herman Hesse, or oscar Wilde (and more) for example, for the nature of their works as philosophical fiction.
Speaking of Fyodor

There sure a lot of dostoevsky's, for name like kurosawa and wajda also/already adapted his works in the past, but probably not many that become so noticeable.
https://letterboxd.com/writer/fyodor-dostoevsky/

The same Visconti (again) also adapt thomas mann's death in venice which i believe also categorize as that philososphical fiction.

There sure a lot of dostoevsky's, for name like kurosawa and wajda also/already adapted his works in the past, but probably not many that become so noticeable.
https://letterboxd.com/writer/fyodor-dostoevsky/

The same Visconti (again) also adapt thomas mann's death in venice which i believe also categorize as that philososphical fiction.
"Death in Venice" was a very good movie.. I wish I read some of these works, so I can compare text to film.