Dog Star Man's DVD & Blu Ray Collection

Tools    

It's been sometime since I've posted on these boards. I hope you are all well. I've mainly been getting my house done and other personal endeavors during that time and... I finally got some shelves up! (A few more shelves will be added later.) The bulk of this collection is dvd's and blu-rays. (As film is my primary passion.) Only the very bottom shelf is devoted to retro gaming. Enjoy!

Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
It's been sometime since I've posted on these boards. I hope you are all well. I've mainly been getting my house done and other personal endeavors during that time and... I finally got some shelves up! (A few more shelves will be added later.) The bulk of this collection is dvd's and blu-rays. (As film is my primary passion.) Only the very bottom shelf is devoted to retro gaming. Enjoy!

I wish I had one big wall where I could put all my DVDs together, but I don't, so my DVDs are just scattered on bookcases and shelves all over the house.

Is that a DVD set that looks like a truck, (to the right of the "Seinfeld" DVDs)? If it is, what is it?

Is that a DVD set that looks like a truck, (to the right of the "Seinfeld" DVDs)? If it is, what is it?
That would be the AK 100: 25 Akira Kurosawa Films. Underneath the DVD's is a trunk with EP's/LP's and a record player. I should take some pics of those too if you all are interested? I'm just getting started on my musical passions.

I wish I had one big wall where I could put all my DVDs together, but I don't, so my DVDs are just scattered on bookcases and shelves all over the house.

Oh sorry. The "Truck" Set, not the "Trunk." I completely forgot about that. No, that's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: Ultimate Edition. Sorry my bad. I misread it and also forgot I even had that set.

Gosh, me too. I catalogued mine in a book, but to actually find something downstairs is a PITA. Also what I need to do is get the various dvd sets shelved together. I.e., all 8 DVDs of Homeland should be shelved together.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Gosh, me too. I catalogued mine in a book, but to actually find something downstairs is a PITA. Also what I need to do is get the various dvd sets shelved together. I.e., all 8 DVDs of Homeland should be shelved together.

I know what you mean. I have some TV series scattered around in every room of the house, but fortunately, most rooms also have a DVD player, so I can always find something to watch.

I...kinda wanna hear more about how you made the shelves.
I was getting my house done and I had the contractor make custom shelves for my "Entertainment Room." After he does some more of the electric and roofing I'm asking him to finish this room by adding further shelves to two more adjacent walls. But the room is going to be filled with DVD's, Blu-Rays, Laserdisc, VHS, LPs/EPs, CD's, Tapes, All kinds of Video Games and Video Game Consoles and Equipment and some Books but not many as I have access to 6 different library cards including LA County and LA City. I'm trying to keep what I can find in local libraries be my Literature Libraries.

Welcome back! It's a good thing that these days films and music have gone online. Now I just have to maintain my shelf reserved solely for books.
I can't see myself ever making the "full" switch to streaming. I don't like the idea of not owning physical media and having another service controlling my catalog. Also, it seems other things have been lost in the transition, such as commentaries, booklets, and various other special features and perks. Streaming, at least at the moment it seems, offers "bare-bones" transfers. You get the film, sure, but not much else. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions to these rules, but I'm a "Transfer Junkie." Case and point, take Night of the Living Dead. I'm still buying transfers of that film because each DVD/Blu-ray that offered their "interpretation" of that film came out with different special features, some commentaries, booklets, and even audio-visual qualities to the film itself which—when I have amassed such versions—I can pick an choose "how" I want to view the film itself on any given day. I couldn't do that if I just stuck with a streaming service. Also, streaming hasn't seemed to catch up with films that are "on the fringe" yet. In fact, not even DVD has yet. If you want to watch a film like Midnite Spares you either have to watch a poor bootleg rip on the net or buy a legit, (and I'd say preferred resolution), copy on VHS. Then there are commentaries which you can't get anymore, such as the Criterion James Bond commentaries that only came out on Laserdisc and were subsequently banned. So not only do you need to get a VCR (which is hopefully region-free), but a Laserdisc player too if you really want to take your "Transfer-Collection" to the next level. All told I may have about 1,500 films which I have kept onto as "4, 4.5, 5 Star" worthy, but many of them are in duplicates for such reasons. That's not saying I won't be buying them all soon on a streaming service I imagine... this is just my own way of collecting.

Now I'm eyeballing one of these bad boys and then my home theater collection will be complete. A Pioneer CLD-D925 Laserdisc Player. Plays both regions of Laserdisc, (NTSC and PAL). The Multi-Region Laserdisc Players were a European exclusive, so I'll have to import this and then set it up with a "Step Up/Down Transformer" that not only operates from 220/240V to 110/120V but also 50Hz/60Hz cycles.

After this my next big purchase is going to be a new Multi-Region Blu-Ray, (it also plays Regions 0-8 DVDs by default.) But this can wait awhile as there's really nothing too terribly wrong with the Multi-Region Blu-Ray Player I have now.

But excited. I don't think I'll ever come out of my Entertainment Center once this is all over.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Hold on, guys. We have a true nerd over here!

A blue screen on a TV.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Hold on, guys. We have a true nerd over here!

A blue screen on a TV.
Yeah sorry, I took the image on its AV settings without putting in a tape and taking a picture. Cool thing is I can use that same AV setting to play my retro-consoles like NES and SNES, etc. Just like the old days!