The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

I think it is safe to say just about everything Jim Jarmusch makes is very polarizing. But those of us who love him REALLY love him.

I can't remember if I told this story on here before, but when Dead Man was released I was working at a copy store down in the Embacradero section of San Francisco. The corner of Battery and Jackson. Right across the street from us was a small, one-screen theatre. The Gateway (just looked it up: they are still there, though temporarily closed due to COVID-19). One of my co-workers at the copy shop also worked at the theatre, so I got to know the manager and employees there. I got so friendly with them that anytime I wanted during my lunchbreak I could just wave hi and go in and watch the movie for a half hour or forty-five minutes. Which I did a lot.

Dead Man played there and did so well it ran for almost two full months. Consequently there is one middle chunk of that movie that I saw upwards of thirty times on the big screen. I'll bet I know that section as intimately as the editor.

But I digress.

Ballots are due midnight-ish tonight, Everyone!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think that top lists and rating movies are somewhat fickle things to begin with. They're very subjective, as we think about how we feel about certain movies. Feelings constantly change.

Though it varies from person to person as some people will try to be more objective and other people will be highly subjective. I try to have a balance of both when it comes to things like this.
I liked your entire post...and specifically agree with what you wrote above. When I made my countdown list, I went by if I loved a film, and by if I think a film is important to film history, or was saying and/or doing something ground breaking. I might include a movie on my list just because the lead actress had a special quality to her, even thought the movie might have been overall just average. Or maybe it was the direction or cinematography that blew me away...Basically I voted for whatever I wanted to vote for.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
On the desktop version of IMDb it's under the title, next to the running time.

If you scroll further down the page you'll find all the genres the IMDb currently has it listed as, after the cast list and between Tagline and Motion Picture Rating.
Not for nothing, but I think you've contaminated your own countdown with this subliminal message here. Clever, Holden. Clever indeed.

*looksit tower clock on the far end of town nearing high noon*

And I'm sure you thought you could get away with it, too?

*spits a long, thin trail of Big League Chew juice to the dry earth*

You see, Holden---or should I say Duck? The Duck of MOFO? I was there. I was in the Western List Saloon in Movie Reviews, on the night that you posted this ...post, and I didn't see you there, nor no woman. No two-gun shooters. None of this. Well, you were there, I mean. But that's neither here nor there.

*unfolds a dry leather wallet and pulls out another chaw of cherry-flavored chew*

Where were we? Oh yeah. *spits again, with a dusty splash* You. Getting town folk all riled up. And over what?!? A countdown? Well. *leans forward and places wallet into a hidden breast pocket* We'll just see 'bout that soon enough.

*eyes clock once more then quickly pulls hand from inside coat pocket in the shape of a finger gun*

Bang!

Gotcha. I'll be back, Duck. I'll ...be back, to see this to its bitter end.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Yup. Now I'm bucking for between 70 and 75 ballots total when the deadline arrives! Only need fourteen more to hit seventy (I have a 56th ballot in my inbox now, but the submitter has to readjust a couple things before I can tally it).

Giddyup.

Welcome to the human race...
Sent mine. Definitely feels like I should've done some revision on it, but what's done is done.

WILL SUBMIT TODAY
Submitted my Top 25 Favorite Westerns.

Very much went with my gut when ranking them. I know I've ranked a few worse films above other better ones, but my current mood counted.

Consider upping it to 100?

I am only curious to about one of my movies, if it even ends up in the list or not. The one with the O in it.

62 ballots in and counted so far, 268 different titles, 78 have at least 50 points thus far, 47 have 100+, 29 are at 200 or higher, and the top seventeen have at least 300 points.

at what time will you stop accepting ballots? need to know if i can squeeze in one more
criticker

Are we taking bets on #1???