The MoFo Westerns List

→ in
Tools    

I was wondering about the eligibility of Dances with Wolves. It's clearly one of my favorite films, but I'm not sure if I consider it a western (even if on IMDB it is)

I was wondering about the eligibility of Dances with Wolves. It's clearly one of my favorite films, but I'm not sure if I consider it a western (even if on IMDB it is)
Yes, that’s a Western. At least it’s eligible.

It's the first one questioned about in the thread that I personally see as a western.

Dances with Wolves is most definitely a Western. Not sure why there would be any doubt about that? Regardless, please feel free to vote away for it!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

My doubts were about the nature of the protagonist. I don't see him as a ''gunslinger''. I see the film more as a war film or even a character study then a western, but I can see why it's considered to be one.

Make sure you include the year, because just looking for Rica might be hard to find. I have the box set with all 3 Rica movies. Rika is the actress' real name, and she only did 4 movies, 3 of them being the Rica trillogy.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Of course I would participate but I'm not a fan of an all time top 100.
I would participate too, but my favorites vary day-to-day based on my mood, so it would be very hard to decide on my top 25 all-time favorites.

How many people would actually submit their real top 25, knowing many would have no chance at making the countdown? I don't think enough would to get an accurate list.
Many of my favorites don't make the countdowns anyway, so I always submit my real list, regardless of what will or won't make the countdown.

Of course I would participate but I'm not a fan of an all time top 100. How many people would actually submit their real top 25, knowing many would have no chance at making the countdown? I don't think enough would to get an accurate list.
I wouldn't even hesitate to submit my real top 25. I don't even put my real top 10 in my top 10 list on my profile (just 10 movies off my top 100). But I would definitely submit my real top 25. And I'm excited because I didn't participate last time. I wouldn't even be surprised if my #1 didn't make the list. In fact I expect it not to, because it's an obscure movie. But I still wouldn't hesitate to give it my 25 points, and I would advocate that more people watch it, so then hopefully it will get on the list. And I really want to see what other people advocate for. I'd want to watch some of other people's top 25 movies, and see if any of them make it onto my top 25 (which is certainly possible). I for one am very excited.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I left only one of my all time favorites out of the list due to making room. Fingers crossed it still makes the list

BTW, a jump from around 19 Ballots to 34 in a day's time is pretty d@mn good!

gonna watch the furies and one-eyed jacks and maybe one more so my list will be coming in at the last possible moment probably
criticker

gonna watch the furies and one-eyed jacks and maybe one more so my list will be coming in at the last possible moment probably
You certainly won't be disappointed with One-Eyed Jacks.

I'm so grateful for this countdown. I always knew the Western genre had potential, but never explored it in much depth. I must say, since I've started with the two Western HoF's and the countdown, I've found some amazing movies that have blown me away. I never expected the Western genre to have gems like The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, One-Eyed Jacks, Dirty Little Billy, The Grey Fox, The Shooting, McCabe & Mrs. Miller, Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here, and The Belle Starr Story. What a delightful genre this has turned out to be.

I'm very excited to watch Bad Company and Barbarosa. I have a very strong feeling they will both make my top 25.

I received and processed two more ballots overnight meaning 36 MoFos have voted so far. 209 different titles have garnered votes, fifty-one of them have at least 50 points so far, thirty-two have at least 100, there are eight in the 200-point range, and the top seven all have amassed over 300 points.

This is gonna be fun, so keep riding into town with those ballots.

iPhone.... Pfffttt... Taste the green stuff!

Welcome to the human race...
Of course I would participate but I'm not a fan of an all time top 100. How many people would actually submit their real top 25, knowing many would have no chance at making the countdown? I don't think enough would to get an accurate list.
Take a look at the last top 100 and see how many unlikely titles ended up on there. Sonatine, Quills, Naked...not exactly the most boring canon picks. I would think people would be more incentivised to vote their truth just to see how far their favourites could get (and also understand that their picks aren't always guaranteed to make it in anyway - how many 25/25 ballots have you submitted on any of these lists?). I wouldn't even be surprised if The Devil's Rejects cracked the list (but I would be disappointed). It'll obviously skew canonical, but most of these lists do anyway. So what?

I wouldn't say it has reached stampede level yet, but we're gettin' a nice, steady parade of ballots. There are now forty submitted and tabulated. Sixty-five titles have at least 40 points, thirty-six have at least a hundred, and there are fifteen movies with at least 200 points. 217 different oaters have received at least one vote, thus far,

Keep 'em comin', MoFos!

A system of cells interlinked
Working on my list...

Will submit soon!