Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Spanish Chainsaw Massacre (2017)

The content in this movie is as sick as any. Unfortunately it's too amateurish to be disturbing. It's just gross, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's still a crappy movie. At least it's short so not horrible to sit through.

China 9, Liberty 37 (1978)

I had somewhat mixed feelings about this one. The lead, Fabio Testi, was terribly wooden with a very thick accent. He seemed out of place at first, but I decided not to let that bother me. Later on his character, Clayton, talked briefly about his past, and being from a foreign country kind of made his bad acting somewhat internally justifiable. Jenny Agutter looked like she was starting to age, but was still beautiful and charming. She played, Catherine, a lonely submissive woman living in a remote area with her older husband Matthew, played by Warren Oates. She didn't look unhappily married, but when Clayton came on the scene she felt passionate love for the first time. The first half of the movie was slower paced, but things shifted with a little more excitement in the second half. The whole movie was atmospheric and the plot mostly character driven. The story and plot were quite good, though the cinematography, acting, and dialogue were't great. Warren Oates and Jenny Agutter really stood out with excellent performances. Overall it was a decent movie that I'm glad I watched.

My Darling Clementine (1946)

A charming film in the classic Hollywood sense about the iconic Wyatt Earp, this to me was Hollywood done right. It was in the same vein as The Ox-Bow Incident. I believe I watched the restored Criterion Collection version. A note in the opening credits stated that this version was a restoration which added some deleted scenes not in the original. The acting was theatrical and dramatic without being overly melodramatic. The cinematography, though not particularly artistic, was creative enough to not be boring or cliche. I found it nearly impossible to find a picture of an English poster or cover that actually included Clementine on it. So I used one of the Japanese posters that I liked more. A lot of posters and covers gave the misleading impression that Linda Darnell was Clementine, but she played the mystress Chihuahua. Clementine herself was a secondary character that didn't feel like she had quite enough screen time or plot focus to justify the movie being named after. She was played by the delightful Cathy Downs, and was the image of feminine perfection. Her modest beauty and curteous elegance turned every head and charmed every man. Victor Mature played Doc Holiday, Clementine's former lover, who seemed to have thrown his former respectable life as a surgeon away and turned into something of a gangster. The central figure, Wyatt Earp, played by Henry Fonda, arrived at Tombstone and turned the town around from a lawless heaven of outlaws to a respectable town. The plot begun with the murder of Wyatt Earp's youngest brother, and theft of their cattle. He and his remaining two brothers set to becoming sheriff and deputies as they attempted to solve the murder and theft. Overall it was consistently pleasantly entertaining, and had the feeling of a charming classic. There wasn't anything that I particularly loved about the movie, except maybe for Linda Darnell's charm, but there really wasn't enough of her to satisfy. It felt like merely a sample. Neither was there anything I particularly disliked about the movie. I can definitely see where many would consider this a true classic. To me a classic in the truest sense has to be of the highest possible quality, and the bar is much higher. I consider this an above average movie, and may even agree that it's a great movie for its era, region, and genre, even if it didn't greatly appeal to me.

I had somewhat mixed feelings about this one. The lead, Fabio Testi, was terribly wooden with a very thick accent. He seemed out of place at first, but I decided not to let that bother me. Later on his character, Clayton, talked briefly about his past, and being from a foreign country kind of made his bad acting somewhat internally justifiable. Jenny Agutter looked like she was starting to age, but was still beautiful and charming. She played, Catherine, a lonely submissive woman living in a remote area with her older husband Matthew, played by Warren Oates. She didn't look unhappily married, but when Clayton came on the scene she felt passionate love for the first time. The first half of the movie was slower paced, but things shifted with a little more excitement in the second half. The whole movie was atmospheric and the plot mostly character driven. The story and plot were quite good, though the cinematography, acting, and dialogue were't great. Warren Oates and Jenny Agutter really stood out with excellent performances. Overall it was a decent movie that I'm glad I watched.
[/quote]

Glad you didn't feel it was a waste of time Zotis, yeah Testi brought a wooden naivete to his part, it's the only film I've seen him in, hopefully his acting "chops" improved Jenny is just perfect in this film with a fair bit of nudity in this it's nice on the eye but it's the passionate love she feels that makes this a cut above melodrama.

The Forbidden Zone (1982)
because there is nothing quite like it.

A family buys a house from a drug dealing pimp that has a door in the basement which leads to the 6th dimension. The daughter goes through the door and finds that the 6th dimension is a little...odd

Really don't know what to say. It was entertaining. It's a musical. It's offensive. It has a frog dude with a healthy libido. It's kind of funny. Joe Spinell has a nice little cameo as chicken boys, sailor-father. Think Alice in Wonderland (story) meets Hausu (style) and you're almost there.

A Good Woman Is Hard to Find (2019)

This was an entertaining and sympathetic movie that almost attained some artistic merit, but just slightly missed the mark. The bloody hatchet scene in mark f's post intreagued me, so I checked it out. Sarah Bolger was the lead and focal point of the entire movie. She looks like a talented actor, capable of delivering fairly intense emotion, but something often felt a little off. I think something like this is mostly the directors fault, for not coaching the actor better or taking the time to get the scene done precisely right. And really, the acting across the board from the entire cast was a little off, which tells me it's definitely a director issue. Abner Pastoll isn't a director I'm familiar with, and nothing on his IMDb page looks noteworthy, a bunch of short films and a movies with terrible wooden acting (judging from their trailer), as well as a movie so obscure I couldn't even find a trailer for. Aside from the acting being a little awkward it was a pretty decent movie. Bolger played a very sympathetic character, a single mother who's husband had recently been murdered. As she struggled to get by her problems reached critical mass when a man broke into her house, stashed drugs, and then began revisiting her. How much more stress could she handle, and how terrible would her situation get? What was she capable of doing to save herself and her two young children? That despair and her potential to overcome it were the true strength and heart of this movie. Sympathy mixed with violence was a pretty good recipe for entertainment in my opinion. Now I might just have to see what else Sarah Bolger has been in.

Glad you didn't feel it was a waste of time Zotis, yeah Testi brought a wooden naivete to his part, it's the only film I've seen him in, hopefully his acting "chops" improved Jenny is just perfect in this film with a fair bit of nudity in this it's nice on the eye but it's the passionate love she feels that makes this a cut above melodrama.
Well, thanks for recommending it. It'll definitely make my list. I really did enjoy it.

By the way, have you seen El Toppo? I think you'd like it, and if there's one Western I would recommend above all else it'd be that one.

Well, thanks for recommending it. It'll definitely make my list. I really did enjoy it.

By the way, have you seen El Toppo? I think you'd like it, and if there's one Western I would recommend above all else it'd be that one.
El Topo I did see years ago if it was the Jodorowski film? Highly bizarre but I have no real drive to see it again. The Holy Mountain is pretty whoop-ding also!

Another I'd forgotten about is "Ride the High Country"....quite "straight" for Peckinpah but an interesting viewing.

Welcome to the human race...
The Ring -

Wonder what suit at Disney watched this and thought "we should get this guy to direct our whimsical pirate theme park ride adventure movie".

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Blade Runner 2049

Taking orange and teal to its logical conclusion. I still don't know quite what to think about this film. In many ways it's very well made, there's a lot to like about it with some real emotional moments and yet I still don't quite find it satisfying as a sequel to Blade Runner.

-

Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol II

The more I watch the first film, the more I like it. The more I watch the second one, the more it shows that its nowhere near as well constructed in terms of its plot, but it still has two of the funniest moments on film. Bring on Volume III.

and

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Rewatch for the Westerns list. Can't say whether or not it made my list, but I enjoyed the back and forth dialogue. The knife fight scene was great.

El Topo I did see years ago if it was the Jodorowski film? Highly bizarre but I have no real drive to see it again. The Holy Mountain is pretty whoop-ding also!

Another I'd forgotten about is "Ride the High Country"....quite "straight" for Peckinpah but an interesting viewing.
Yes it's the Jodoworsky film. I want to rewatch it before the deadline to get an updated feeling for it, but don't know if I'll have time.

I guess another movie I think you might like, based on the five you mentioned, is The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. If you haven't seen that, try to squeeze it in.

Mumsy, Nanny, Sony and Girly (1970) - 6.2/10. This was decent. The movie started well, then lost steam after 20 mins, then picked up again. The only thing keeping me interested was the leading lady. Holy cow, she was hot! Too bad she only did 14 movies. Watchable. Not memorable. Seriously not horror. More like drama/thriller.

Simpsons Movie(2007)

I always found the show to be mostly average, but this movie makes me laugh constantly. There isn't really anything hysterical, yet every joke seems to land pleasantly. Simply seeing all the characters in a feature film like this is fantastic.

The Wild Bunch (1969)

I had already seen this 3 or 4 times but not in about 15 years. This was my best viewing yet even though I always thought it was great. It has everything I want in a western and so much more. It's very self reflective once you reach a certain age. I wouldn't quite call it the best western I've seen but it's definitely the baddest.

Brutti, sporchi e cattivi (1976)
aka Ugly, Dirty and Bad

Tax money was put to use and our public TV fixed the subtitles for this. I really like the concept here but it's way too timid. Maybe the director was worried that making this funnier would endanger his intellectual status. Now it's just okay but there was potential for much more (a great set of characters and sort of "offensive" topics but it never really gets going).

--
Manhattan (1979)
More return for the tax money. I hadn't seen a single Woody Allen movie as an adult so I decided to give this one a go. I liked it more than I usually like romantic comedies. Allen's neurotic character is like a normal modern liberal leftist (which is kinda funny) and the whole romantic scenario is a bit more tangled than usual. I don't get his worship of New York and at times the cinematic choices seem to hurt the film. Like the above Manhattan was okay (I could see myself liking it more on another day though, so I'll have to check more Allen at some point).

The Moth Diaries (2011)

Continuing my short break from Westerns, I explored another of Sarah Bolger's movies. Looking at her IMDb page, I noticed quite a range of movie from terrible to half decent, and a range of roles from lead, supporting, and minor, both in movies and TV series, but there was nothing that looked particularly spectacular. There are a few more of her movies I'm interested in checking out. Emelie looks like a superficial and cliche, but entertaining, thriller. And two that look like fairly decent romantic dramas, As Cool as I Am and Kiss Me. This movie, The Moth Diaries, was a bit of a cliche, superficial, entertaining thriller. I mildly enjoyed it, but nothing really excited me, and there were some dull moments. The dialogue never discussed anything deep or meaningful, though the subject matter of suicide, loss, loneliness, depression, anxiety, delusion, jealousy, poetry, Gothic literature, and vampires, had more than enough potential. Sadly that potential felt squandered and the movie settled for merely scratching at the surface. The plot followed Bolger's character, Rebecca, who was presumably 16 although the actress was 19 or 20. This was one of those movies about a bunch of 20-somethings pretending to be high-school students. Personally, I just imagined it was a college or university. So, the story was about this girl, Rebecca, who returned to boarding school after the summer break to be reunited with her best friend, Lucie, only to find that a mysterious new girl was stealing her friend from her. Exploring themes of vampirism, Rebecca began to suspect the new girl, Ernessa, of somehow being corrupt, but struggled to accept the supernatural due to her naturalistic world-view. This internal conflict about the naturalistic view and the supernatural was a turmoil inside of Rebecca, and served as a central plot theme. Ernessa was played by Lily Cole, and Lucie was played by Sarah Gadon. Scott Speedman, notably from the Underworld franchise, made an appearance as Mr. Davies a new male teacher in this all-girl's school. He played the role of little more than a sex object. Overall, while I did find the movie lacking in substance, it was mildly entertaining. I wouldn't really recommend this movie unless you're interested in Sarah Bolger, and then I wouldn't raise your expectations any higher than "mildly entertaining." There was only one scene where the acting actually impressed me, and that was a flashback where Bolger's character found her father dead in the bathtub with his wrists slit. The expression of sorrow mixed with horror while she was screaming was done beautifully.

1BR (2019)

Spooky little cultish offering with enough weird to keep me interested. Well shot and clean around the edges this was a nice little sleeper movie.