Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lo chiamavano Trinità... (1970)
aka They Call Me Trinity

I loved Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films as a kid. I think this was the first rewatch of any of them in 20 years or so and I ended up liking it more than I expected. It's stupid and cheesy but quite entertaining. I also like how the protagonists are total sociopaths (especially Trinity who early on seems to be just looking for opportunities to kill someone). Rating is preliminary, and I may end up raising it by half a popcorn.

I plan on watching this sometime in the next few days. I bought my dad a combo pack of They Call Me Trinity and its sequel as a Christmas present one year, as he was a big fan, but I've never watched them myself.

You ever seen Cut-Throats Nine? I watched it a few days ago and it seems like a western that would align well with your tastes. Reminded me of The Great Silence with its wintry setting, except it's even grimmer and more nihilistic, with a Fulci-like focus on gore. Almost every character is either a rapist or murderer. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a major influence on Tarantino's Hateful Eight.

You ever seen Cut-Throats Nine? I watched it a few days ago and it seems like a western that would align well with your tastes. Reminded me of The Great Silence with its wintry setting, except it's even grimmer and more nihilistic, with a Fulci-like focus on gore. Almost every character is either a rapist or murderer. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a major influence on Tarantino's Hateful Eight.
Yeah, and I may even rewatch it for the countdown. I'd remember it's quite nice. And I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that it is indeed one of the "official" influences to Hateful Eight.

Alice Sweet Alice (1976) - 6.2/10. Found this on Tubi. And I heard praises about it, so gave it a try. I have to say it's a good movie but woefully let down by the obnoxious over-acting by all of the female cast, the men did a far better job, which is not saying much! The little girl looked like pound shop Emma Stone!! Although the killer was more or less telegraphed, it was still pretty fun to sit in for the ride.

Carrie (1976) - 6.8/10. Watching this after probably 15-18 years. Still pretty good. While watching I was wondering, Sissy Spacek was made for this role. I can't think of anyone working around that time who could have been a better fit. Nicely directed, De Palma of course. Although it wasn't scary then, it isn't scary now. I am not even sure if this even is horror!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Blood Quantum (Jeff Barnaby, 2019)
6/10
The Reivers (Mark Rydell, 1969)
6.5/10
Lady Driver (Shaun Paul Piccinino, 2020)
6/10
Nevada Smith (Henry Hathaway, 1966)
6.5/10

Steve McQueen in a revenge western.
Rich in Love (Bruno Garotti, 2020)
6/10
Antigone (Danièle Huillet & Jean-Marie Straub, 1982)
5/10
Material (Craig Freimond, 2012)
6/10
United Skates (Tina Brown & Dyana Winkler, 2018)
+ 6.5/10

The history of African-American culture in the [now-faded] roller skating rinks throughout the country.
Ordinary Love (Lisa Barros D'Sa & Glenn Leyburn, 2019)
6/10
Natalie Wood: What Remains Behind (Laurent Bouzereau, 2020)
6.5/10
Bull (Annie Silverstein, 2019)
5.5/10
Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (Matt Peters & Christina Sottar, 2020)
6.5/10

Everything seems to revolve around Harley Quinn right now in the DC Universe.
Greed (Michael Winterbottom, 2019)
6/10
Bigger (George Gallo, 2018)
5.5/10
Working Man (Robert Jury, 2020)
6/10
The Dragon Painter (William Worthington, 1919)
5.5/10

Sessue Hayakawa tries to find his lost love by painting a dragon.
Daughter of Shanghai (Robert Florey, 1937)
5.5/10
Becoming (Nadia Hallgren, 2020)
6.5/10
Ding Dong Williams (William Berke, 1946)
+ 5/10
The Cremator (Juraj Herz, 1969)
7/10

Horror/satire with Rudolf Hrusínský is one of the best films of the Czech New Wave.

Theatre of Blood (1973) - 6/10. This was good. But not as good as Dr Phibes I watched the other day. Vincent Price was again great in all the Shakespeare characters. In the midst of the movie and the whiskey I was just left in awe, that writer almost 500 years on can still influence us so much! A true legend!

Colour Out Of Space 2019

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Avengers: Endgame: 8/10

Aladdin 2019 - 10/10 lovely movie.

Jaws (1975) - 7/10. After watching Carrie yesterday thought of going back a year and re-visit this. It was fun. Not as fun though as I had when I first watched it 25 years ago. I don't know if it's the Discovery channel making me immune to sharks or not. But still a good watch. The shark does look a little dated. But can't blame the film makers for that.

- Parasite

Snooze factor = Zzzz

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Indeed, three times I started watching this on three different nights and always nodded off around the same place. Finally managed to get through it all last night.