100 Best movies ever

Tools    

I am making a list of the best 100 movies ever made. Maybe you can help?

Haha maybe you can expand more? Not sure what you want us to do.

If you go to "Ongoing tournaments and brackets" you'll find many lists of top 100 films, and many Halls of Fame voted on by the posters:

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...-brackets.html

There are other "best" movie lists too. Perhaps someone else can post a link.

Welcome to the site.

well in my opinion they're is no BEST movies. Many will say citizen kane is he best because of the technical advances and stuff but if the movie was release last year it will clearly not had receive the same praises. It seems obvious but I think sometimes many forgets especially when they do list like that is that all movies belong to their era. For instance, I think even if blade runner or clockwork orange are ahead of their time, they still have to be compare with movie of the same era.

Hi!

Hahahah, This is not for a school project, I just love movies. With the virus etcetera I had some extra time on my hands to watch movies and make a list of the best movies ever made. The current list is an average of multiple list I have found on the internet. However, I am not quite happy with it yet. Therefore I was wondering if you have any suggestions for movies that should make the list. Or if you think some movies should not have made it.

Hasselaer

The trick is not minding
Step 1. Watch lots of movies
Step 2. Watch more movies.
Step 3. Watch even more movies.
Step 4. Rewatch the movies that resonated with you or that you enjoyed more and think about why you enjoyed them. Rewatch more then once if possible.
Step 5. Start writing down your favorites ( or greatest ) and start whittling not down until you get your top 100. Order as you deem fit.
This will take you years. Many of us have been doing this for decades. Hope you’re in it for the long haul.

Hi!

Hahahah, This is not for a school project, I just love movies. With the virus etcetera I had some extra time on my hands to watch movies and make a list of the best movies ever made. The current list is an average of multiple list I have found on the internet. However, I am not quite happy with it yet. Therefore I was wondering if you have any suggestions for movies that should make the list. Or if you think some movies should not have made it.
Hasselaer
Hasselaer, I'd be interested to read your list, but the print is too small for my old eyes. Maybe you could re-format it and re-post?

~Doc

Hasselaer, I'd be interested to read your list, but the print is too small for my old eyes. Maybe you could re-format it and re-post?

~Doc
Hi! I have made a website with the current list, hopefully you can read it now

100bestmovies.simplesite.com

Nice list overall, but you have a couple typos. I'd love to see Parasite on a list like this, especially if you are including other 2019 movies like Us and the Irishman.

I think that the movies that should be on the list depend on what your goal is. It sounds like you're trying to create an objective, as much as that's possible for something like movies, list of the top 100 of all time. If that's the case I think that it includes way too little international films. Besides that I also feel like the lower part of the list has a lot of films that, although I can perfectly see them being on someone's personal top 100, I don't think deserve to be on an objective top 100 of all time. I'm especially talking about a lot of the more recent films that you added. But those comments aside, there's a lot of great films on the list so I think you've made a good start.
It would be interesting to hear more about what exactly you want the list to be and why you're trying to create it!

My goal is to create an objective list. The 100 movies generally considered to be the best ever made.. The ultimate list will hopefully be one, (almost) everybody agrees on. I should contain the best movies ever made regardless of personal preferences.
I am making this list because, the lists I have found online thus far are extremely influenced by the maker and website. For example, the lists on RottenTomatoes include many recent movies, because the site is targeted to people liking recent movies. Some of these movies are exceptional of course, however there are also many that are not included in those lists simple because the audience will not appreciate the 'older' movies. At least, that is what I think is the reason. I came across this problem on many websites, that is why i am trying to make an objective list.
I have watched many many movies, however not all of them. I think that together we have all the knowledge to objectively judge great movies and make the ultimate list.

I think that the movies that should be on the list depend on what your goal is. It sounds like you're trying to create an objective, as much as that's possible for something like movies, list of the top 100 of all time. If that's the case I think that it includes way too little international films. Besides that I also feel like the lower part of the list has a lot of films that, although I can perfectly see them being on someone's personal top 100, I don't think deserve to be on an objective top 100 of all time. I'm especially talking about a lot of the more recent films that you added. But those comments aside, there's a lot of great films on the list so I think you've made a good start.
It would be interesting to hear more about what exactly you want the list to be and why you're trying to create it!
thanks for your response! Can you name some of the movies you think do not deserve to be on an objective list?

thanks for your response! Can you name some of the movies you think do not deserve to be on an objective list?
Of the more recent films that I've seen:
Inside Out, The Farewell, Mission Impossible - Fallout, Wonder Woman, Booksmart, Us, Avengers: Endgame, Black Panther, Toy Story 4, The Irishman.
I personally wouldn't put most of the other recent films, that you put on there, on there either, but of course, it is all very subjective.

There was also a top 100 here, which all members at the time could vote for:
https://www.movieforums.com/lists/mo...2010/edit.html
It was made in 2010, so the most recent films aren't included, but it should still be worth taking a look at.

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
An "objective" list? I guess it is theoretically possible to make a list where most people agree with but technically speaking ranking art can never be objective.

I also suspect that the more people agree with the list, the more it looks like the IMDB Top 100. Such is the nature of popularity lists.