Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Venom - 2018

Yikes. This thing is a mess. Yet somehow is redeemable. It's saved solely by Hardy's performance as he juggles between Brock and Venom. If they could have just focused on that and made it Rated R it could have saved the flick. Everything else in the movie was almost comically bad to me. The acting sans Hardy was cringe worthy. I had to turn away at times it was laughable. Not all the actors fault the screenplay feels flimsy. Some scenes felt cut and pasted together. CGI and action was spotty.

I'd equate this film to a wrinkled shirt that needs a new iron to get the wrinkles out. That iron maybe being a new writer and an R rating. I think Sony is so desperate to get Venom into the Spiderman universe it just slapped a movie together to push for the team up. It's a shame because there is a decent movie somewhere in here. The character of Venom is pretty neat and to get someone like Hardy to play him and piss it away kind of sucks. But hey it's got a good audience rating on RT so maybe I am in the minority. Just didn't work minus Hardy to me...at all.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I can see why reviews have been all over the place for this one, and I landed somewhere in the middle....I didn't even think Hardy's acting was good though

Mr. Griffin and Me (1981)

Charming and obscure t.v. comedy movie directed by Patrick O'Neal starring Burgess Meredith and Gloria Grahame. Meredith as a Hollywood movie director gone into hiding for the past 24 years from his wife, Grahame, "movie queen of the 1950's", after a dispute about some valuable paintings. Naturally they meet up again but this is about as light hearted a movie you could ever hope to see.

This movie is set in the early 1980's, is about people from the 1950's and has people getting around like it's the 1920's. It's a quirky little film with some slightly bizarre scenes and I just love it. The roughness of the tape recorded version I got off Youtube which I've seen several times now just seems to add to the experience.

It only runs for about an hour and despite its natural shortcomings, it has a quaint, humourous and genuine appreciation for the "show people" to whom it's sincerely dedicated. Just good fun.

7/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	mr griffin and me.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	64179  

The Two Faces of January (2014)

Atmospheric tale that draws similarities from the Talented Mr Ripley in tone. Great performances from all (even Dunst!!) and a nice twisty-turny plot.

Beautiful scenery cap it all off to make this a highly enjoyable film.

I can see why reviews have been all over the place for this one, and I landed somewhere in the middle....I didn't even think Hardy's acting was good though
There was something choppy about the whole thing. There was one scene where I think the scientist chick, she is an awful actress, I think forgot her line and they left it in haha. Yea Hardy wasn't at his best but it was the only redeemable performance in the whole thing really.

lol and being an MRI/Xray tech don't get me started on the MRI scenes

The Servant (Joseph Losey, 1963)

MUBI have recently put up several films from Joseph Losey, a director who I was previously unaware of but someone who I would now consider myself a big fan of.
Try to see The Go-Between from Losey. Beautiful sad movie. Good book too.

Dio li crea... Io li ammazzo! (1968)
aka God Made Them… I Kill Them

Somewhat weak spaghetti western starring Dean Reed. It bounces between comedy and serious action without much sense, and Reed is like a superhero (considering how smug, cocky, and almost psychotic he is he'd fit right in with the Boys). The soundtrack is pretty cool though.

Try to see The Go-Between from Losey. Beautiful sad movie. Good book too.
Thanks for the recommendation, I already have actually, I'm just about 30 movies behind in my posts

Since I watched The Servant and Accident I've also watched Eva (
), The Go-Between (
) and Mr. Klein (
). I'll give you a mention when I do the post so you don't miss it when I share my thoughts, but yeah I loved it too. His collaborations with Pinter are top-notch and it's similar to those two films I posted about in once again how it deals with repressed human desire, told with beautiful cinematography.

The Desert Fox (1951)

More afternoon watching. Well acted and somewhat controversial portrait of Erwin Rommel. Controversy not about his tactical nous but of his direct involvement and his political aims within the Third Reich. Seen as a "soldiers soldier" if you will and not a Nazi. It has been pretty well debunked that he had anything to do with the attempted assasination of AH but is still a good watch.

“I was cured, all right!”

Really bad stuff.

Third act is kind of weak, but overall, a very good movie.

Blindly, I watched this, I like Kevin Sorbo since I was a kid watching Hercules. I was excited only by him, and he alone. And boy ... I wish I wasn't ... Honestly, I don't know how I finished this movie. In two moments of the film, I thought: WTF am I doing!? The rest of the time ... just cringes and laughs. I liked how they talked about guns and how they treated them. I hated the christianity themes, I'm not a religious man, so yes, I don't know why I watched it. And honestly, neither the weapons nor Sorbo could save this. One of the worst films I have seen in recent memories.

From Beyond the Grave (1974) - 5.5/10. It's not great. Just about alright. The stories are a bit cuckoo. It's just about a decent watch. Other than the first story, the rest are poor. Anthology movies are hard to do and this just proves it. Tales from the Crypt still remains the best for me!

Lo chiamavano Trinità... (1970)
aka They Call Me Trinity

I loved Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films as a kid. I think this was the first rewatch of any of them in 20 years or so and I ended up liking it more than I expected. It's stupid and cheesy but quite entertaining. I also like how the protagonists are total sociopaths (especially Trinity who early on seems to be just looking for opportunities to kill someone). Rating is preliminary, and I may end up raising it by half a popcorn.

From Beyond the Grave (1974) - 5.5/10. It's not great. Just about alright. The stories are a bit cuckoo. It's just about a decent watch. Other than the first story, the rest are poor. Anthology movies are hard to do and this just proves it. Tales from the Crypt still remains the best for me![/quote]

Agree hell_storm...their quaintness draws me in but they are on a hiding to nothing as far as narrative is concerned. Tends to be 1 or 2 so-so chillers then fillers. Tales from the Crypt is the best I've seen also. Strange, but enjoyable, structure of a film. You know the "show" will have to come in the next 15 mins so don't really invest in any!