Oh my God, Taika Waititi is making a Star Wars film

Tools    

I'm hoping Disney/Lucasfilm change the schedule tbh... they got an Obi Wan series in the works with McGregor set to return as Kenobi... I hope they redo it and make it a movie, and this is the movie...

Imagining an older McGregor as a curmudgeonly middle aged Kenobi with Waititi's humour.

The weird thing with Waititi is in real life, he's really bland

His commentary on Wilderpeople, it's almost as if he's got no personality. As if acting, writing and directing, he puts absolutely everything into it... then off set, he goes back into his shell.

His commentary on Wilderpeople, it's almost as if he's got no personality. As if acting, writing and directing, he puts absolutely everything into it... then off set, he goes back into his shell.
Really? Maybe I should check it out. The thing is, his sense of humor can be really understated sometimes, to the point of not even sounding like humor, so I wonder if the commentary is just that, really amped up (or not amped up, depending on how you look at it).

Either way, he definitely has a "it's funny that I could make a joke here but just stated something very obvious and direct instead" vibe.

Welcome to the human race...
I love this. I've liked everything of his I've seen and I'd love to see a funnier, more irreverent Star Wars film. Great choice.

At this point, I’ve given up on Star Wars. I’ve definitely liked or loved pretty much all Waititi so one can always hope. But honestly I can’t say I’m that excited...

At this point, I’ve given up on Star Wars. I’ve definitely liked or loved pretty much all Waititi so one can always hope. But honestly I can’t say I’m that excited...
I can't say that I'm a Taika Waititi fan. Of all his movies, which could you say that's his most representative? I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes of Jojo Rabbit, although it may have gotten better later.

I can't say that I'm a Taika Waititi fan. Of all his movies, which could you say that's his most representative? I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes of Jojo Rabbit, although it may have gotten better later.

I wasn’t a fan of Jojo Rabbit either.

Perhaps his cult hit What We Do in the Shadows or maybe Hunt for the Wilderpeople that seemed to really set off his career and probably gave him the job of directing Thor: Ragnarok.

I love them all, but I guess I didn't love Jojo Rabbit quite as much as I expected to. Still very good, though, even if I love the other films MM just listed even more. But yeah, I'd give those a try, little more fun, little less overtly weird in some ways (but still quirky as cuss).

Wilderpeople and Boy would be my favourites of his thus far. Not seen Jojo or Thor yet though as neither really appeal to me that much.

Late reaction but great news, currently in my top 5 'new' directors, I felt Jojo Rabbit was a bit misunderstood. Waititi is the one that could possibly bring the much needed balance to the force/franchise. Also it's not hard to top The Rise of Skywalker.

given up on star wars .. too little, too late and I dont like the director.

That wilderness film was so **** , I cant believe how much praise that got. Jojo was a bit better
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I like the director (What we do in the Shadows is hilarious), but I haven't enjoyed the Disney Star Wars films except Rouge One. They just aren't very good in my opinions and feel rushed.