Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (Valerie a tęden divů) - 1970

→ in
Tools    

"Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (Czech: Valerie a tęden divů) is a 1970 Czechoslovak surrealist horror film[1][2] directed by Jaromil Jireš and based on the 1935 novel of the same name by Vítězslav Nezval. It is considered part of the Czechoslovak New Wave movement.[2] The film portrays the heroine as living in a disorienting dream, cajoled by priests, vampires, and men and women alike. The film blends elements of the fantasy and horror film genres.[3]" (Wikipedia)

I combined my film trailer with the soundtrack described below:

"The Valerie Project is a Philadelphia-based psychedelic folk[1] band. Their first (self-titled) album, released in 2007, is intended to serve as an alternate soundtrack to the cult Czech New Wave film Valerie and Her Week of Wonders.[2][3] They have performed live at screenings of the film. The band is led by Espers member Greg Weeks and also includes Brooke Sietinsons and Helena Espvall of Espers, Margaret Wienk, Jesse Sparhawk, and Jim Ayre of Fern Knight, Tara Burke (aka Fursaxa), Mary Lattimore, Jessica Weeks (wife of Greg), and Charles Cohen.[1][2]

The band performed live in 2006-2008, accompanying screenings of the film at the Museum of Modern Art in New York,[4] at London's Meltdown festival, and elsewhere.[1][5][6][7][8] Their debut album, recorded in eight days[1] and released on Drag City, received positive reviews in The Independent,[5] Pitchfork,[2] Foxy Digitalis,[9] and XLR8R,[10] as well as a more mixed review in The Guardian.[11]"
(Wikipedia)

Comments

A music group from the USA created in 2007 a soundtrack for an artistic Czechoslovak film, made under Communism in 1970, that was used in film screenings in the same manner as silent films like "Nosferatu".

I adored the soundtrack and prefered the version with just this new soundtrack (no speech from the 1970 film). Why? Because this is an artistic film, meant to be enjoyed as an audio-visual poem, with a soundtrack like this one made by some american guys.

I created a trailer using that new soundtrack from the guys in Philadephia, which I will show next, but I can't really review a film like this, because this is a beautiful visual poem, made in Czechoslovakia, that becomes more beautiful with the american soundtrack, the problem beeing that both factors are merely a matter of my personnal taste, therefore this film cannot be reviewed intellectually or technically.

My trailer

I tried watching this movie two days ago, but couldn't last more than 20 minutes.
I think it's a pretty good film, and it really nails the dreamlike atmosphere. I think I gave it 3.5/5.

For me, this is the sort of film that I watch the same way as watching a concert on You Tube, or a silent film like "Nosferatu", just to relax with some wine and some cheese...

Like in this great scene from the 1995 film "Sahara" with Bill Murray:

A little bit of cheese, and some wine off course! Some bread... and perhaps an olive... How I love my southern european mediterranean neighbours...