Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Hangman (1959)

I'm surprised this has an IMDb rating of 6.6 rather than being a well known classic. It's an unusual western in that there's no gunfights or bad guys, and that's not because it's a comedy or musical. I'd say it features a moral dilemma and there's really not even any unlikable characters. I liked it a whole lot except for maybe the last minute when I thought the wrong guy got the girl.

I agree with you about the ending. I couldn't understand why she chose him. They didn't seem to have much chemistry together during the movie, so it kind of came out of nowhere.

Basic Instict (1992) Thriller/Mystery/Drama

3 over 5? this deserves more..

are you serious? 1/5??

I just saw Knives Out. I would probably give it 9/10. It succeeded on practically every level. It was engaging, funny, surprising, well acted and it had a great ending. If any of you haven't seen this movie (although I know it's really popular) please do. You won't regret it.

3 over 5? this deserves more..

Yes, Basic Instinct is an absolute classic. Michael Douglas at his conflicted best what a performance from Sharon Stone!

It was a lot better than I expected which is one of the reasons I hadn't seen it yet - I thought I would hate it since the only film I ever liked from the director was Repulsion. I actually wanted to hate it but it is a fantastic movie. One of the best I've ever seen at building tension scene to scene. One of my problems with the director's other films is they always seem to have poor pacing, they drag imo, but not this. It flies by. Mia was outstanding and the supporting cast was pretty gosh darn good as well.
i think this should be in the top 3 best horror thrillers ever made

I really like this movie, why didn't you?:
i think this is one of the best thrillers of the 90s

The Virgin Suicides (1999)

a perfect example about an amazing trailer and a really abissmal film...

It seems that rambond has evolved from correcting our failures in recognizing genres correctly to telling us the right ratings for the films
in fact, it is an abyssmal film

Stagecoach (1939)

I certainly liked it more this 2nd time around and perhaps one day it'll work even better for me. It's certainly good but it doesn't engage me all that much and it strangely seems to go on a long time for a movie that's just over an hour and a half long. As of now, I like a couple of earlier John Ford westerns more.

Conan the Destroyer (1984)

I was a little tired and wanted to watch something that doesn't require brainpower. The second Conan is a kinda mediocre light fantasy film (a mixture of Italian barbarian films, early D&D adventures, and family films). As Conan filming, it's horrible though, and it's also not a fitting sequel to Milius' epic. I need to find the comic that's based on the original script to see how badly the studio ruined this. Still, it isn't bad and it has some fun moments.

Boldly going.
Wizard of Oz
8/10.
Movies today receive a lot of criticism for their CGI, how they don't look "realistic", and yet if you look at movies with practical effects, they often look just as fake. In the DVD special features, the cast remark how "beautiful" the Munchkin set looked (and indeed it was beautiful), but when Dorothy first walked through the door into Oz, my first thought isn't "Wow, look how beautiful that is!", but, "Wow, look how fake that looks!, and "No, that doesn't look like a set at all!"

Effects aside, I still enjoy this classic movie. Brings me back to the days when it only showed on TV once a year and the family was enchanted with it.

Another interesting fact I learned from watching the special features: The book did not include the dream aspect.

The Straight Story - 7.2/10. What a delightful movie. David Lynch doing a very un-David Lynch like movie. The background score was pretty awesome. The camera work to capture the beauty of the mid-west was brilliant. And the simplicity of the story yet engaging. Since it's based on a true story, it's even more poignant. Loved it!

The Lodge (2020) - 5.5/10. "Scary as hell"... My rear-end! It is the same old story of people locked up in the snow. And the annoying aspect of everyone talking in a hushed voice when there is no intruder or ghosts around. It was almost impossible to hear the dialogues with the fan on! Didn't do much for me. The lady's backstory is thin. The plot is nothing new. Directed competently and acted well, but the script is so weak it didn't matter how hard the people tried.

Zombieland (2009) - 6.7/10. Enjoyable. Fun. And Woody! Although I feel the movie just ended abruptly, or maybe just I expected the fun ride to continue! I quite like Jessie Eisenberg and his off-beat script choices. Worth a watch. I hope Part 2 concludes the movie well. And Emma Stone, she can't be sexy, she will forever be the sweet girl-next-door!

Shane (1953, George Stevens)

I get the complaints about the obnoxious child and some of the stilted acting, but in this case I just don't care. To me, this film is pure magic, from the breathtaking color cinematography and composition to the sheer timelessness and humanity of its iconic scenes. Classic!
I'll try to watch it for the countdown. Hopefully it's better than the impressions I've been getting.