The Western III Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Alright, we just need to hear from @Siddon and we'll see what the best route is.

I’ll be finishing up this week. Will need links for The Grey Fox and Dirty Little Billy is anyone can provide them please.
I have access to the other two I need to watch
Also, sent a link for Grey Fox but unable to locate a good link for Dirty Little Billy

I mean, Siddon has only 1 film left. It's on him to say if he has the time to put the extra viewing until the deadline. If he can't, I am ok with whichever you all are, but I obviously prefered my nom to be watched by everyone.

Well I've tried watching your "nomination" four times now.

Netflix sent me the sequel (Run Man Run)
Cricket sent me a link to a different movie
Someone else sent me a link to a film that started in English and switched to I assume Italian

I'm going to try one last way and if it doesn't work I'm submitting a ballot with seven films on it and you can do whatever you wish with it.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Grey Fox (1982)

An outdated western about an outdated cowboy, that actually turned a very interesting film. I loved the whole atmosphere of the film, and the perfomances were quite nice. My copy of this didn't have a good quality but still the cinematography was very moody and fitted perfectly well with the theme!

-

The Grey Fox (1982)

A terrible print of a film seems almost like a waste of a nomination. I'm kinda soured on this hall in the sense that most of these films are hard to find and the quality of films are poor. With that said I enjoyed the film for what it was a story of a stage coach robber on the run changing his life as the world passed him by. I like that the film took place in Canada and didn't have any "movie stars" in it so the story was given an extra level of realism likely bumps it up a few spots for me.

Well I've tried watching your "nomination" four times now.

Netflix sent me the sequel (Run Man Run)
Cricket sent me a link to a different movie
Someone else sent me a link to a film that started in English and switched to I assume Italian

I'm going to try one last way and if it doesn't work I'm submitting a ballot with seven films on it and you can do whatever you wish with it.
The one where they bounce back and forth from English to Italian is the one I have as well.

The one where they bounce back and forth from English to Italian is the one I have as well.
I know me and you talked about it once and I said the one I watched had some Spanish mixed in with English but not Italian...However I looked for a link today to send to Siddon and found the one I watched...And now I'm thinking they weren't speaking Spanish, but speaking Italian. Of course I don't really know the difference

I see @ahwell @John-Connor @neiba @Zotis all watched The Big Gundown, maybe they will post and say if they found a link in all English.

I know me and you talked about it once and I said the one I watched had some Spanish mixed in with English but not Italian...However I looked for a link today to send to Siddon and found the one I watched...And now I'm thinking they weren't speaking Spanish, but speaking Italian. Of course I don't really know the difference

I see @ahwell @John-Connor @neiba @Zotis all watched The Big Gundown, maybe they will post and say if they found a link in all English.

It's very unlikely they use Spanish to dub this films, even if they were shot in Spain, so it most probably is Italian xD

I downloaded mine using torrents and it was in English back then, but I can't find it anymore. What maybe is possible is to download the film and English subtitles so the Italian part is covered. I've been watching and rewatching a bunch of spaghetti westerns lately all in Italian and they are still very enjoyable

... What maybe is possible is to download the film and English subtitles so the Italian part is covered...
Excellent idea. I just checked and there are English subs available for it.

...maybe they will post and say if they found a link in all English.
I have a link that has both versions. From what I can tell the scenes that are in Italian (and yes it's Italian, not Spanish) are simply removed from the English only version. Near the beginning there is a scene where he shoots three bandits. In the version with English and Italian he puts three bullets from his own gun on a log and each bandit takes a bullet and puts it in his own gun. I guess they were out of bullets, so this way they each have one and he has three in his gun. Then one by one he shoots them when they try to draw on him, but at least he gives them all that chance. In the English only version it cuts parts of the scene and he doesn't put bullets on the log, but just shoots them. It implies they already have bullets in their guns, but it looks a little strange. I think the first time I watched it I watched the English only version, because I remember thinking it was weird how he just shoots them.

The English only version is 1 hour and 34 minutes. The version with English and Italian is 1 hour 50 minutes.

Message me if you want the link.

I have a link that has both versions. From what I can tell the scenes that are in Italian (and yes it's Italian, not Spanish) are simply removed from the English only version. Near the beginning there is a scene where he shoots three bandits. In the version with English and Italian he puts three bullets from his own gun on a log and each bandit takes a bullet and puts it in his own gun. I guess they were out of bullets, so this way they each have one and he has three in his gun. Then one by one he shoots them when they try to draw on him, but at least he gives them all that chance. In the English only version it cuts parts of the scene and he doesn't put bullets on the log, but just shoots them. It implies they already have bullets in their guns, but it looks a little strange. I think the first time I watched it I watched the English only version, because I remember thinking it was weird how he just shoots them.

The English only version is 1 hour and 34 minutes. The version with English and Italian is 1 hour 50 minutes.

Message me if you want the link.
THANKS zotis!!

I was pretty resigned to watch the English/Italian version and this gives another reason to do so. I believe it (may) have been neiba, or perhaps even you who remarked on how there were various actors from various countries so that they did use different languages.

Thanks for posting that Zotis. Siddon needed a link, maybe you could PM him the all English version?
Yeah, I PMed him already.

THANKS zotis!!

I was pretty resigned to watch the English/Italian version and this gives another reason to do so. I believe it (may) have been neiba, or perhaps even you who remarked on how there were various actors from various countries so that they did use different languages.
It wasn't me who made that remark. But I can tell with the way the actors lips move that the whole thing is dubbed. And sometimes, if you lip read, you can tell when actors are speaking English or Italilan, just because either their lips don't line up with the English, or they do. It's pretty funny, but even when they're lips line up with the English or Italian, the audio doesn't necessarily, so both languages are in there from the actors, and both languages are dubbed. It's a real mess, but it sure is intersting. :P

It wasn't me who made that remark. But I can tell with the way the actors lips move that the whole thing is dubbed. And sometimes, if you lip read, you can tell when actors are speaking English or Italilan, just because either their lips don't line up with the English, or they do. It's pretty funny, but even when they're lips line up with the English or Italian, the audio doesn't necessarily, so both languages are in there from the actors, and both languages are dubbed. It's a real mess, but it sure is intersting. :P
I know what you mean. When I first bounced around in it and noticed the difference I chuckled hearing Van Cleef's dub. It was pretty close but there was a notch or two lower on the bass.
It probably was neiba who made the remark but since I'm terrible at such things I'd rather the screw up be on caution lol

All the dubbing in Spaghetti Westerns is a big reason why I don't like them. Most movie fans don't care for dubbed movies. And to me they seem like bad acting and comical thanks to the odd mix of dubbing, though in their native language with sub titles they seem much more powerful.

All the dubbing in Spaghetti Westerns is a big reason why I don't like them. Most movie fans don't care for dubbed movies. And to me they seem like bad acting and comical thanks to the odd mix of dubbing, though in their native language with sub titles they seem much more powerful.
It actually doesn't bother me at all. There are some really great crime movies by Fernado Di Leo from that era, and they're all dubbed like that too.

The weird thing is that I was watching a lecture with a Q&A by William Friedkin and he said he does all his audio separately from shooting because the mic will pick up all kinds of background noise and friction from clothes moving, and you're restricted by how you can shoot so the mic isn't in the shot. And yet, I've never been able to tell if the audio was even slightly off or if there were any changes in the pitch. Sometimes in movies I can tell when a line is added in during editing or things like that.

The Big Gundown aka La resa dei conti

It's always a great pleasure to get a surprise gem on the finale of an HoF List and, yes, my friends, this Taranito Spaghetti Western favorite is such a pleasure.
In these past Western films, I have seen Lee Van Cleef scowl from the background time and again. Most times without uttering a word. Though he did get to open a film (High Noon). But this is the very first time I get to seem him in full control of the leading role and the man DOES NOT disappoint. Not that there would have been a doubt - this was truly ideal vehicle for him to be in. His callous means to an end demeanor mixed with a proficient hunter's patience was f@ckin awesome to experience.
Nor does the film itself. With several colorful characters; such as the old gunslinger monk to the Austrian Baron that is fascinated with American Western "quick draw".
Oh, and, Oh mymymymymy,
The Widow (Nieves Navarro)

There are some great cat and mouse scenes and showdowns in this. Serious kudos to a film that has a man bring a knife to a gunfight -- what a helluva great shot. A totally "Holy sh#t that was awesome!" moment.
A very serious popcorn muncher, late-night drive-in feature, to be sure.

I'm very glad I watched the full 110 min version. Even though, initially, when I was looking for a good link for this film, the serious mix of English and Italian was a putoff. Now, I'm not a stranger to having multiple languages in a film. This is the first one with such a heavy ratio without any subtitles. I do appreciate and enjoy, "when" they'd switch to Italian when what was said had more of a gravitas/intimate inclination. Giving the unknown dialogue a kind of mystique. One exchange I'd love to learn of was Van Cleef's Corbett saying good-bye to The Widow, inside her home. It seems like there were some very cool witticisms going on between the two.

BRA-F@CKIN-O @neiba!! Bravo

Dirty Little Billy (1972)

Another unusual western (this HoF is filled with them), that plays almost like a realistic documentary on the childhood of one of the most famous outlaws.
I like how dirty and immersive the atmosphere of the film was. The first shot is already amazing as a story telling device, and it's like that mud never really leaves the characters.
I also liked the fresh take on a very famous outlaw. Billy the Kid and others like him are usally glorified and have a certain aura of mystery around them, which is really entertaining but by the time this film came out quite overdone. Instead we are lead to sympathise with a kid that was pushed till he became a ruthless bandit.
In this aspect, the whole performance by Pollard is impressive. We can actually see his look changing as he loses his inocence.

A very nice nom!

-

Aaaand I'm done, list on the way!