The Videogames Tab

Tools    

I liked Hauer's voice acting, though it did seem like he missed the mark on more than a few takes. A little eccentric/intoxicated, but that's a plus for me when compared to so many other vanilla video game lead voices.

I remember loving the mood of the game, though the glitchy parts (impressive as they are) got a little overbearing.

I'm playing the Blade Runner game now.
Yeah, I can't get over his deadpan (turns out deadpan wasn't the word I was going for, so insert word to better express what I'm trying to say because I can't think of one right now and google is not cooperating with me at the moment) delivery. I just can't!

The '97 game? Just looked it up, this is the first I've heard of a Blade Runner game. So it's one of those point and click games that were my jam back in the day. Yes, please. What say you?

Yeah, I can't get over his deadpan (turns out deadpan wasn't the word I was going for, so insert word to better express what I'm trying to say because I can't think of one right now and google is not cooperating with me at the moment) delivery. I just can't!

The '97 game? Just looked it up, this is the first I've heard of a Blade Runner game. So it's one of those point and click games that were my jam back in the day. Yes, please. What say you?
I'll stick with intoxicated... or sickly. I guess noir-ish anti-heroes also have a tendency to have a smug cadence too.

Yes. I've had it on CD forever, but never had a computer that could play it. Now it's cheap on GOG though. The atmosphere (should be a drinking game for me), writing, and voice acting are great so far, but as someone not very used to point and click games, I find myself wandering around longer than I care to admit before stumbling onto the right thing.

there's a frog in my snake oil
This can go here too

Trip Report: Fallout 4 VR

Ok so I've hit the late-game load-time issue. (Like 3 mins+ when fast travelling :/)

So whenever I can trek to a destination, or chain missions, I've been doing that. Ended up having a grand free-form adventure the other night. The big notes were:

• Headed out to a dropbox for the Railroad. Decided not to engage some Raiders on a high vantage point who had at least one rocket launcher and two sets of Power Armour.
  • Deacon immediately engaged the Raiders...
  • Thankfully as we fell back down a hill under rocket fire, to the sound of advancing gyros, some ghouls attacked us from behind and a small 3-way fight ensued with the advanced Raider scouts in a cluttered gulley.
  • By the time we emerged the remaining Raiders had got bored and inexplicably stepped out of their Power Armour. So we picked them off, and got dressed to impress in their gear. (I don't know how Deacon managed to lose all the actual armour on his, but he did). We were tooled up for an adventure
  • The next location we walk past is another Raider camp, full of screams, with a green glowing Deathclaw in the middle lit up by the local flames..
  • While kiting the Deathclaw around a car, dropping grenades as I go, I can't help but notice that Deacon is fighting some Raiders. Some of whom are on fire.
  • As I'm back-peddling across a street a sudden gust of wind precedes two Brotherhood guys dropping with heavy clanks either side of me. They immediately ignore the radioactive Deathclaw, turn their guns on me, and shoot either side of my shoulders. At the second Deathclaw that has just appeared from behind a gas station. I managed not to reflexively shoot them in the face. (Ok I did fire one shot, but I missed )
  • The area was pacified. We skirted the lake towards the toxic fog of the South West. Saw another Deathclaw high on the hill against moon. Picked a fight with that too. Somehow got into a fist fight with it. Got most of my armour knocked off . (I'm not sure if there's an actual animation for armour hitting zero health and getting stowed in your inventory, but it felt like it at the time. There seemed to be a lot of scrap metal on the floor afterwards too )
  • This was the first ten minutes

Events continued in various odd and beguiling ways. But to be brief
  • Fought scavengers in the toxic mists amongst a run-down shanty town
  • Skirted a small submerged town, full of gunfire, and saw something large and dog-like scamper across a rope bridge into the welcoming warmth of a shattered building.
  • Found someone locked in a fridge
  • Ran away from a military encampment defended by a cloaked samurai droid
  • Saw a multitude of ghouls called things like 'Mrs Robinson' surrounding some Raiders on a hillside. Left them to it.

And generally just shifted between weather patterns and day-light cycles, transitioning from ravaged wild lands to the twisted skeleton of Boston.

Was grand

The Adventure Starts Here!
nVidia card question for @Tacitus ... or anybody else who recently might have installed the latest driver (445.87 from April 15).

It seems that my latest clean-install update to my nVidia card has made my PDFs through Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 look really awful. They look low-resolution and cheesy. Other programs look fine, so I'm not hurrying to roll back the driver or anything. But I'm curious if it's just a coincidence on the timing and something ELSE is causing the low-quality look of my PDFs, that's fine too.

Can anybody else confirm they're seeing the same issue?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
nVidia card question for @Tacitus ... or anybody else who recently might have installed the latest driver (445.87 from April 15).

It seems that my latest clean-install update to my nVidia card has made my PDFs through Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 look really awful. They look low-resolution and cheesy. Other programs look fine, so I'm not hurrying to roll back the driver or anything. But I'm curious if it's just a coincidence on the timing and something ELSE is causing the low-quality look of my PDFs, that's fine too.

Acrobat is notorious for clipping information depending on the viewer zoom level. Lines disappear and reappear depending on whether you're at 75% or 120%, or whatever. Could that be what's going on? Does it change with a higher % magnification? Is it text that's messing up? images?

Maybe check Edit/Prefences/Page Display (near top of left menu), then see what's checked under the Rendering header on the right side of the window. Smooth Text for Laptop/LCD, etc. That setting may be different in Pro 9.

Acrobat 9 is like 7 years old though, so it could just be a compatibility thing. Pretty sure it's no longer supported by Adobe. You might could test by dragging your PDF to a browser and opening it through the browser plugin reader. See how it looks there.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

there's a frog in my snake oil
Star Citizen is still amazing

No arguments!

(With full audio here)

The People's Republic of Clogher

Mine look fine but, as ynwtf says, have a go on a different PDF app. I've been using PDF Xchange for years. https://www.tracker-software.com/pro...xchange-viewer

The Adventure Starts Here!
Thanks. I'll try these things, @Tacitus and @ynwtf. I hadn't changed any of my settings in Acrobat Pro 9, so it just seemed like the only thing that had changed was the video card driver update. I hadn't done anything else different before/after the change.

I use Acrobat all the time, but I'm just still too cheap to buy a monthly subscription to Acrobat since Pro 9 was still working so well.

Thanks. I'll try these things, @Tacitus and @ynwtf. I hadn't changed any of my settings in Acrobat Pro 9, so it just seemed like the only thing that had changed was the video card driver update. I hadn't done anything else different before/after the change.

I use Acrobat all the time, but I'm just still too cheap to buy a monthly subscription to Acrobat since Pro 9 was still working so well.
Yeah, I have a real love/hate relationship with Adobe for their forced subscriptions. Sure, it's arguably more convenient to have access to a collection for a monthly rate that I likely wouldn't have had access to on single purchase points, or to get upgrades as part of the service, or even to activate/deactivate subscriptions as needed based on work load. On the other hand, a LOT of people are totally good to use a 5+ year-old version of Photoshop (or whatever) that might have cost them $ 600 once and that be enough indefinitely. As it's priced (at least when this all started), it was the equivalent of buying a new licenses roughly every two years, when a 4-year window was completely usable.

I understand keeping up with industry and such for programs like InDesign, Acrobat (as updates are constant anymore) and MAYBE Illustrator as files need to be accessible between departments or different companies, but I'm not sure the average user needs constant updates for much of anything else. Even Acrobat Pro is kind of a weird forced update as the core program isn't much different. If you're dealing with weird government standards for like 508 compliance, then yeah, the latest is all but a requirement. Editing tools are a BIT more convenient, in general, but hopefully if people are needing to edit content, then they're using the source document rather than an exported PDF.

*silently screams*

WOOOOOOOOOooooo!
Sorry for that tangent. Clearly I have my own issues here.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Literally right at the end of Pokemon Shield so I'll have it beat tonight. That will be my third conquered Switch game, whoohooo

Welcome to the human race...
Finished Doom Eternal a while back. Pretty fun, though I guess you could say it's a problem that there's a lot of spinning plates involved when it comes to various new combat mechanics like adding in grenades and flamethrowers. Still undecided as to whether or not the increase in platforming elements was all that good as a change-up (who would've ever thought you'd need to swim in a Doom game?). Anyway, it's ultimately solid - unsure how I'd compare it to the other ones, but I had fun with it.

Now I'm playing Control and I'm really enjoying it (the odd annoying fetch quest or boss battle aside). Surprisingly intuitive combat, side missions that are about on par with the main quest, challenging without being frustrating, nice open setting that's not boring to explore, lots of lore...I really like this game and I kind of don't want to stop playing it. Now I really want to see if I can find a copy of Alan Wake somewhere.

Now I'm playing Control and I'm really enjoying it (the odd annoying fetch quest or boss battle aside). Surprisingly intuitive combat, side missions that are about on par with the main quest, challenging without being frustrating, nice open setting that's not boring to explore, lots of lore...I really like this game and I kind of don't want to stop playing it. Now I really want to see if I can find a copy of Alan Wake somewhere.
Welcome to the Cult of CONTROL!!!
I probably dumped like three pages of ramblings here during my run with it (along with a few game play clips, possible spoilers though). I loved it and I too was curious about Alan Wake after my experience. I felt boss fights were a bit out of sync with your average level mobs (spiking the difficulty, I mean), but other than that I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I agree with the combat too. It felt very smooth and quick to respond, even with the layers of special moves. I never felt hindered or clumsy when performing any number of combinations. I'd be curious of your thoughts if you decide to keep with it.

Mind me asking at about what area/mission series you've most recently opened?

As far as main chapters go, I've more or less just started "The Face of the Enemy", but I've been getting caught up in side-missions like the Mold or containing Altered Items. I always feel like I've got to clear out as many sidequests as possible before moving on with the main quest in case I don't get a chance later, but for all I know Control doesn't allow that problem to happen.

Control was one of the few games that I really enjoyed chasing side quests, collecting documents, and revisiting areas (room by room) for the chance of an odd, new reveal. It really gave me an old Metroid vibe in the design to return to previously cleared areas. In mood, as well. Not many games have kept my attention like this one. In fact, this is the only game in which I completed every listed trophy. I can't stress my surprise in that enough because I usually get bored in the details of games and just want to complete them if I bother even going that far. I don't think I've come anywhere near that level of completion in any game without going back to late 80's consoles. I think that's a testament to the quality of game play, general story, and variety here.

Sure, there were spikes and drops in consistency here or there, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you finish it, and then decide to purchase the expansions, I recommend jumping right into them. The first expansion didn't release until quite some time after I finished the game proper and I found it difficult to return to having lost the momentum the game built leading up to things. The second expansion (I THINK it was the second; I can't remember for sure) is pretty intense, dealing with mission time limits but really feels like a great proving ground to measure your abilities in all your weapons and powers.

I'm rambling again.

Fun stuff. Thanks for following up.

I did finish it earlier today. Admittedly got a little tedious as I was clearing out the last of the unfinished sidequests (mainly just the janitor ones, which did all seem like they were ones you should've done earlier in the game), plus I couldn't find the jukebox token to start that particular quest for some reason (guessing it's some kind of DLC). Also undecided about how to feel about

WARNING: "Control" spoilers below
the game not really ending on a properly climactic note - , sure, the sequence of events ranging from the Ashtray Maze to freeing Hedron to the office nightmare to navigating the hotel one more time was a good run but to decide that the conclusion to all that was just going to be one more big wave of goons and then an abruptly inconclusive ending where Dylan is only kind of saved by being cleansed into a coma is a little underwhelming, as if they knew they were going to milk a lot of DLC out of the title. I don't know, I just expected more.

That being said, damn if the game as a whole didn't work on me and make me get to work on getting that DLC (isn't there only one expansion out at the moment with another one scheduled for later this year?) in addition to getting all the trophies (maybe the first PS4 title I've managed to do that with since Fallout 4)..

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Downloaded Journey and Uncharted Collection for free from Sony. Despite playing those games already, I'd love to play them again. Free for everyone, you don't have to have PS Plus.

Suspect's Reviews

I did finish it earlier today. Admittedly got a little tedious as I was clearing out the last of the unfinished sidequests (mainly just the janitor ones, which did all seem like they were ones you should've done earlier in the game), plus I couldn't find the jukebox token to start that particular quest for some reason (guessing it's some kind of DLC). Also undecided about how to feel about

WARNING: "Control" spoilers below
the game not really ending on a properly climactic note - , sure, the sequence of events ranging from the Ashtray Maze to freeing Hedron to the office nightmare to navigating the hotel one more time was a good run but to decide that the conclusion to all that was just going to be one more big wave of goons and then an abruptly inconclusive ending where Dylan is only kind of saved by being cleansed into a coma is a little underwhelming, as if they knew they were going to milk a lot of DLC out of the title. I don't know, I just expected more.

That being said, damn if the game as a whole didn't work on me and make me get to work on getting that DLC (isn't there only one expansion out at the moment with another one scheduled for later this year?) in addition to getting all the trophies (maybe the first PS4 title I've managed to do that with since Fallout 4)..

Totally agree with your comments in the spoiler tags. I felt the DLC staging provides that chaos I was expecting though. Maybe it will for you as well.

Re: the coin. Yes, that is the grind within the DLC.

WARNING: spoilers below
Earn coins to play the jukebox and be ported to where ever for timed exploration and wave events.

Btw, I had an update late last year and mistakenly assumed that was the first DLC expansion. That explains why I was so disappointed I guess.

I'm really starting to get into the game. I like exploring the apartments and coming across the different characters and their lives. Though, I wish they focused on that aspect more. Considering the size of the building I should be talking to more people. I'm still pretty much in the beginning stage, so I don't know if I'll see more of that later on. I hope so.

@re93animator Yay or Nay?

I'm really starting to get into the game. I like exploring the apartments and coming across the different characters and their lives. Though, I wish they focused on that aspect more. Considering the size of the building I should be talking to more people. I'm still pretty much in the beginning stage, so I don't know if I'll see more of that later on. I hope so.

@re93animator Yay or Nay?
I didn't get too far in it either (for some reason I'm getting game breaking glitches; may have to reinstall), but most of the environments don't have NPCs that aren't tied to the story, and the ones that are there hardly have any dialogue anyways. I think it's more about exploring within small boundaries.

I didn't get too far in it either (for some reason I'm getting game breaking glitches; may have to reinstall), but most of the environments don't have NPCs that aren't tied to the story, and the ones that are there hardly have any dialogue anyways. I think it's more about exploring within small boundaries.

Ah, gotcha. Well, there may be some nice surprises in store the further I progress. The game definitely has a ton of potential. Here's hoping I don't come across any glitches.