The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

What didn't you like about it?
It's been too long for me to remember the details, but this is what I said about it back in 2013:

Just watched Mulholland Drive.

Didn't understand it. Spent most of the movie confused and by time it finally ended I had stopped caring anyway.

Edit: Just looked at some info online. I get it now and I kind of thought that's what might have been going on, but wasn't sure. Still can't say I liked it and probably won't watch it again any time soon. Also, not a big fan of girl on girl scenes so that didn't help matters.

I remember way back when I first joined the forum and Mulholland Dr. was one of the most talked about and loved films. For David Lynch, I think it's behind his Blue Velvet and Straight Story, but it's a good movie and even more than that, a great viewing experience. I was surprised to see it nominated for CR, but it's good to keep him on his toes.

Eraserhead was a masterpiece at least I thought so. I think if Mulholland Drive wasn't so slow and had some of the fat trimmed off it, it might be to my liking. In many ways I did like the personal style of direction.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
@Ciziten Rules Mulholland Drive was me. It's such an odd film that I feel like I love, but then I don't. I've recommended it to two other people...they hated it.

Suspect's Reviews

@Ciziten Rules Mulholland Drive was me. It's such an odd film that I feel like I love, but then I don't. I've recommended it to two other people...they hated it.
I didn't hate it, in fact I really liked the overall theme and style. Glad to have finally watched it so thanks

Lilo & Stitch (2002)

This was like the documentary being nominated for me in that I was happy since I never watch animated movies on my own, even though I enjoyed watching them in preparation for their countdown. I had the perception that this particular animated movie was more geared towards children, and I don't think I was wrong but it didn't matter.

I didn't know anything about it going in, and with the beginning being set in space I didn't think I'd like it that much. The setting quickly changed to earth and that's when my feelings turned around. I loved that Stitch was mixed up with being a dog and that was a big part of the fun. Then I got into the wonderful characters and story. It was very funny and had some good music, mostly Elvis. The animation wasn't on the level of Pixar but it was nothing to complain about. A totally enjoyable 85 minutes that will probably be my biggest surprise of this Hall of Fame.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Lilo & Stitch (2002)

This was like the documentary being nominated for me in that I was happy since I never watch animated movies on my own, even though I enjoyed watching them in preparation for their countdown. I had the perception that this particular animated movie was more geared towards children, and I don't think I was wrong but it didn't matter.

I didn't know anything about it going in, and with the beginning being set in space I didn't think I'd like it that much. The setting quickly changed to earth and that's when my feelings turned around. I loved that Stitch was mixed up with being a dog and that was a big part of the fun. Then I got into the wonderful characters and story. It was very funny and had some good music, mostly Elvis. The animation wasn't on the level of Pixar but it was nothing to complain about. A totally enjoyable 85 minutes that will probably be my biggest surprise of this Hall of Fame.

@cricket

Thrilled to see you enjoyed it, but I knew you would.
It's a big favorite for me.
HUUUUGE favorite of mine as well! And one for the "countless watch" list.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

L'Age d'Or Showgirl Hostess: Hello, you.
Jo le Suedois: Hello, kid. Sit your moneymaker down.

One of my "I REALLY need to see this" and DEFINITELY one for the Rewatch List - that's for D@MN sure!! now that I have.

I can't guess, without any likelihood of being correct, but, like the three previous watches so far, it is totally up my alley, entirely! So, whoever, where ever you may be: THANK YOU!!!
I will make one feeble attempt: this feels like a @cricket nomination. I'm probably wrong, but it feels like it.

Why, so enthusiastic?
Excellent question. It has a kismet connection to what I nominated for the ongoing Noir 2 HoF, to which I'll simply cut and paste my comments there, starting with Cosmic's eloquent description:
Outside of the opening and closing sequences, there is a distinct lack of music in The Asphalt Jungle. The silent soundtrack helps set a bleak tone and manages to enhance the tension in certain scenes more than a dramatic score ever could. The shots are very well balanced and framed, and when combined with the editor's apparent aversion to unnecessary cuts, it looks and feels very realistic. In this context, the choice not to use Expressionistic lighting effects actually helps the film achieve a darker atmosphere as well.
Regarding the lack of music and how it helps: "set a bleak tone, and manages to enhance the tension in certain scenes more than a dramatic score ever could--" I just finished Rififif for the Recommendation HoF and I found several comparisons being made between these two films when researching Rififi. A French "heist" film that also uses the sans music for the entirety of the heist with a very similar effect. (I believe they said for a length of 30 mins - which it did NOT feel like AT ALL). I remember Le Trou doing the very same thing with equal effect.
I have NO DOUBT this is an iconic film in France for, not only criminal/noir genre but for its own merit as a film in general.
While I know, for a fact, I have not seen this film, I do remember seeing the very ending,
WARNING: " specifically" spoilers below
the drive back to Jo's house with his son, and Tony bleeding out.
somewhere. Perhaps some sort of Behind The Scenes or Film Studies video of some kind.
Not that it ruined it for me at all. I love this film and will be watching it. . . well, a lot, in the future. So my only response was a bigger smile and appreciating The Ending along with, pretty much, every aspect of the film.
As I've mentioned, the execution of the Heist was top class AND VERY INNOVATIVE. In fact, it played out a little too much like a Self Help diagram to commit the Jewel Heist that, according to IMDb Trivia:
Mexican authorities pulled the movie from theaters after multiple burglaries were committed employing methods similar to those shown.
How awesome is THAT!?

Also, the Director, Jules Dassin (one of Hollywood's Black Listed during the witch hunts aka McCarthism-ran Communist Trials, plays the safecracker, Cesar le Milanais

Who changed what becomes of his character from the VERY explicit book it is based upon. Or, more specifically, something that occurs within the novel. Making it a bit personal and symbiotic to when friends betray friends.

And those friends were all excellent, across the board. From the above Cesar, to the lead, Tony le Stéphanois, played byJean Servais. Capturing the "fresh out of jail", been through the wringer in the worst possible way, a shell of a man. Who says "f@ckit" when asked to join in a simple "Snatch & Grab" by the final two friends and insists they go for the Full Monty and take the Jewellers for everything they got.
Even though after hearing that, my man! Jean Gabin was considered for the role, I'm thoroughly happy with Servais' performance and take on the character.

Of the remaining two,

Robert Manuel's smooth-talking, man with the connections, Mario Ferrati (Center) was my favorite. Utterly loved him.

Doing a reread of this, I already see just how long this is and how much more it could be if I continued, so I'll shut th' f@ck up and sum up:
For entertainment and re-watchability, this is the one to beat for me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Lilo & Stitch (2002)

Lilo & Stitch is one of my favorite animated movies. I usually find the kids in movies annoying, but I like Lilo. There's something fun about her because she's as much of a troublemaker as Stitch is, so they make a great team.

The sequels are good too. They're not as good as the first movie, but they're definitely fun movies. Stitch! The Movie (2003) is worth watching because we get to meet Stitch's cousins.

Paper Moon was really a surprise for me. I loved it when I saw it but haven't watched it again. My biggest takeaway was how good Tatum was in it. Scene stealing good and deserving of all the awards she received.

Mulholland Drive I watched when it was first released on dvd and didn't like it. Given the year, I was probably high when I watched it and didn't follow along. Everyone kept telling me how great it was so I always planned on giving it another go and that 'nother go was this past winter. Liked it much more the second time around. The diner dream scene is probably my favorite scene in the movie even it it doesn't seem to fit. It's a confusing movie, there's a lot to sift through, but it's not Lost Highway level confusing (I love Lost Highway even though I can't make heads or tails of it).

Lilo and Stitch is one my SO and her son always watched. They loved it. I've never seen it even though we have a dvd of it floating around somewhere.

A French "heist" film that also uses the sans music for the entirety of the heist with a very similar effect. (I believe they said for a length of 30 mins - which it did NOT feel like AT ALL). I remember Le Trou doing the very same thing with equal effect.
Rififi was very good. Going in the opposite direction, when I was watching Le Trou for this HoF it kept reminding me of Rififi. The heist in Rififi is one of my favorite scenes ever. It's like Mike Rowe and his Dirty Jobs tv show followed around some bank robbers for a night. Fascinating stuff.

Paper Moon was really a surprise for me. I loved it but haven't watched it again. My biggest takeaway was how good Tatum was in it. Scene stealing good and deserving of all the awards she received.
Even though The Exorcist is possibly my favorite movie of all time, I still don't understand how some people think that Linda Blair should have won the oscar over Tatum (Linda was great as well, but Tatum was completely magical in Paper Moon).

Is there a technical winner to this or not? I'm sure it's said but I missed it
Yes, I believe cricket is counting down people right?