Coronavirus

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The store (ShopRite) was probably worse supply-wise today than it's been since the start of the outbreak!

In some areas, but not in all: bread was back, but there was a surprising lack of produce this time - garlic was sold out (people have obviously heard my theories).

Any packaged goods on sale were gone (sales on Stove-Top-Stuffing, salad dressing, ice cream, and Craker Barrel cheese left these shelves stripped!)

The cheaper tonic water was sold out (obviously people have caught on to the idea of the quinine in tonic).

Paper products sold out (now they had Marcal Toilet Paper by the single roll, but I didn't get any because there was no price - only $9.99 - for what? The giant cardboard box they were in? For a single roll? No info whatsoever on how much an individual roll cost on the price label, so didn't waste my time trying to find out.)

Hand Sanitizers, wipes, disenfectants, bleach, alcohol = still none.
Refrigerated juices = sold out completely.

I saw one worker taking photos of the empty shelves with his phone and telling a customer his mom was never going to believe this.

We've found some stuff at our local ShopRite, but not as much as we've found at Stop and Shop. You should check the prices on the items that you need. I don't know about NJ, but here in NY, ShopRite has NOT been price gouging at all.

On a sad note, the owner of five ShopRite stores in New Jersey died from coronavirus today.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/08/steve-...f-coronavirus/

You ready? You look ready.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dataisbeaut...s_from_day_of/
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Even though we still have plenty, my wife asked me to get more paper towels and TP in my travels. So I did this morning while working and I sent her this pic, except right side up-

Her response-"We don't use those brands".

Brother-in-law finally got his results and tested positive for Covid-19. A twelve-day turnaround after the swabs were taken is ridiculous, especially considering both he, his wife and two of their children are officially regarded as essential workers. Thankfully he's made a full recovery and I can see now why my doc told me it wasn't worth him ordering a test for me (with me not being essential I'd likely either have been cured or dead by the time I'd waited not only about a week to take it but also then for the results).

Her response-"We don't use those brands".

May I respectfully suggest you label these for your personal use only. Should keep her happy

I do all the shopping at my house, and every weekend I go to Stop & Shop, Market Basket, Shaws, Walmart, Target, BJs, and Ocean State Job Lot. I told my wife I need to cut down on stores right now because I feel like that's where I'm most likely to get the virus. I go early so I already have to wait for the grey hairs to leave, so I've cut out Market Basket since they have a line waiting to get in. I also stop on Thursday while working to get her damn black bread and more bananas. Yesterday she wanted me to stop just for bananas in case she wanted to have a second banana today for the first time in 2 years. I put my foot down and said no, and I got them today along with those paper products. Now she just texts me to get suets. Are you friggin kidding me? I just got her a 50lb bag of bird food, and all she does with the suets is crumble them up anyway. Any other time and I give in, but I'm not risking sickness for suets. The birds will be fine with just seed until the weekend. And I'm trying to do my work.

You ready? You look ready.
May I respectfully suggest you label these for your personal use only. Should keep her happy
And when she comes begging for the Brawny...you can wag a finger at her folly

Yeah, we all have to be thinking about minimizing both those trips and the number of things we have shipped to us. My plan for awhile was to make a weekly grocery trip, but after seeing the spike recently I decided to just ration the stuff I couldn't order and put in one big delivery order for the rest (which took longer now, but still got through), with an eye towards not going outside for anything but yard work and quick dog walks for the next two weeks.

Account terminated on request
There might be one more thing adding to the confusion.

Despite common belief, the term casualties actually includes wounded/injured/etc. It's only recently through common usage that "deaths only" has been tentatively added as a mention. (Funny note: I've actually won bets in gettogthers over this....gets me a free dessert. So easy now that everyone has a phone.)

Seems to have taken a while though, because nearly everyone I know had it wrong, so you'd think it would end up as maybe the top definition. American Heritage (far superior to m-w and that crap Wiktionary) was studying this.

If you don't believe me see this link. The write-up at the end is interesting:

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=casualty
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Okay, since people didn't stop (and never should've started), I'm just nuking the whole discussion.

Would be perfectly happy to discuss the general nature of theories and conspiracies, though, in another thread.

...Would be perfectly happy to discuss the general nature of theories and conspiracies, though, in another thread.
I was just thinking earlier that it would be cool to have a poll to see what percentage of MoFos believe in a Coronavirus conspiracy theory (seems like there's many). So I went ahead and made a thread for that: link

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Half a million! Whatta hell?! Trump indeed made 'murica great again!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Slight counterbalance to the stuff about "peaking":

It's still more good news than bad, but a lot of death still comes after/during a peak, unfortunately. It just means we might have worried the worst-case scenarios from the initial wave. Worth keeping in mind.

Half a million! Whatta hell?! Trump indeed made 'murica great again!
Well, there are like 350 million people here. The raw number comparisons in some cases are a little silly (not that this refers to you). Should be per capita, I think.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, we all have to be thinking about minimizing both those trips and the number of things we have shipped to us. My plan for awhile was to make a weekly grocery trip, but after seeing the spike recently I decided to just ration the stuff I couldn't order and put in one big delivery order for the rest (which took longer now, but still got through), with an eye towards not going outside for anything but yard work and quick dog walks for the next two weeks.
Grocery pickup (ordering online) has been my plan all week. Got an order in just after midnight on Monday night, for pickup on Wednesday. But on Wednesday morning I got a text, then an email saying my order had been completely canceled because of "unusually high demand." Trouble was, you had to choose a specific time slot (which is why I ordered just after midnight--when they roll over to the next day's available slots), so why did they cancel my order? I had a time slot.

Last night then I tried to do it again, got to the website about 12:30 a.m.... and all the slots for the next four days were GONE. Delivery and pickup.

So I gave up and today went out to our local smaller grocery store, complete with mask. I hadn't been there in about 9 days. Nine days ago nothing much was different, except they had an extra antibacterial wipes stand at the front doorway and signs at the checkout asking people to stand back a little bit..

Today? Nine days later? Signs everywhere about staying "two carts apart" from everyone in the store. And plexiglass between the cashiers and the customers. All the workers were wearing masks. Most were also wearing latex gloves. And a sign in several spots asking people to wear masks while inside the store, if at all possible. They weren't policing that yet, but I'd say a good 80% of us were wearing masks.

I'd say, though, that the masks are giving some people a false sense of security because too many were just breezing right by me or heading right toward me without regard to that "two carts apart" bit.

Oh, and there was some toilet paper today so I grabbed three individual rolls. Score! They were, though, dreadfully OUT of Spaghetti-Os. Whatever shall I do for my comfort food fix now that the one can I was holding for a stressful day is gone?