Misunderstood Movies

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I've been trying to find The Fourth Man online to watch for sometime now, but haven't found English subtitles yet.

Is Basic Instinct a misunderstood satire too? I also did not like that movie from him and thought it was too over the top, if that's the right term for it.

Verhoeven's Showgirls.

Satirical look at the perverted and sexist side of show-business... completely ripping the p*ss out of the high end management of the biz... yet people thought it was a serious movie
Watch Showgirls today after all the stuff that's been going on with Savile and Weinstein... and remember that Verhoeven is a satirical filmmaker... and Showgirls makes a whole lot more sense.
Whether you're right or wrong, I now have an excuse to check out Showgirls, so thanks for that.

Hell, Verhoeven actually showed in person at the Razzies to collect his award...

... and still nobody twigged he was doing it solely because even the Razzies missed the point.
What a boss.

I am almost willing to give Showgirls another chance. I might... I think one of the reasons why I don't like it because the theaters will not show NC-17 movies anymore as a result, but I shouln't hate a movie just because it lead to something like that, cause it's not the movie's fault of course.

I watches Siskel and Ebert's review of it and Ebert compares it to Leaving Las Vegas, since that one opened a few weeks before.

But is really fair to compare Showgirls to something like Leaving Las Vegas?

But is really fair to compare Showgirls to something like Leaving Las Vegas?
Haven’t a clue. I think you’re over-analyzing. It’s just a movie, something to enjoy.

Verhoeven's Showgirls.

Satirical look at the perverted and sexist side of show-business... completely ripping the p*ss out of the high end management of the biz... yet people thought it was a serious movie
Watch Showgirls today after all the stuff that's been going on with Savile and Weinstein... and remember that Verhoeven is a satirical filmmaker... and Showgirls makes a whole lot more sense.

Hell, Verhoeven actually showed in person at the Razzies to collect his award...

... and still nobody twigged he was doing it solely because even the Razzies missed the point.
Never saw Showgirls as satirical...that story seems to be played with a pretty straight face.

Starship Troopers - understood by some that it's misunderstood by many.
It's a satire of a satire, both of which were satirizing different & very opposite things.
It can be enjoyed for what it says or what it's trying to say (and can be questioned if it's really trying to say what it's trying to say or just trying to say what it says).

Starship Troopers - understood by some that it's misunderstood by many.
It's a satire of a satire, both of which were satirizing different & very opposite things.
It can be enjoyed for what it says or what it's trying to say (and can be questioned if it's really trying to say what it's trying to say or just trying to say what it says).
When you say it's a satire of a satire, what is the satire of the satire?

Heinlein's book was something of a satire of certain political & military concepts (but not always critical satire necessarily - not sure if that negates the concept of satire and turns it to philosophical propaganda...?) and Verhoeven's movie was a satire of Heinlein's book and many of the concepts contained therein.

So you are saying it's a satire of the book itself, which is a satire?

Account terminated on request
Deep Throat. I felt it was a very insightful politic-emotional movement starter that perfectly explains the plight of the common person in gaining respect in today's society. It explains the foundation of societal influences in ways that all people should use for personal improvement.

j/k j/k j/k, simmer down..... :-P
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

My personal phrasing would be that it's absolutely a don't judge a book by its cover theme.

Satire-ception?

By the way, Douglas Hofstadter famously said: "I'm So Meta, Even This Acronym."

My personal phrasing would be that it's absolutely a don't judge a book by its cover theme.
I was originally going to phrase it like that but I think it's more not judging its cover, in that Elle is able to be both a girly girl and an intelligent lawyer, whereas you have films where the female characters have to have a complete makeover (e.g. looks like a geek but is actually a beauty) and the villains of these chick flicks/teen films are the pretty girls.

I've always thought Natural Born Killers was suppose to be a satire, but my friends say I am misunderstanding it, and that it's suppose to be a serious thriller that plays it straight. Am I misunderstanding it?

i hated before sunrise and i feel like people think it is a philosophical romance movie and yes it is but it is just so cheesy and artificial so i think people misunderstood it by thinking it was deeper than what it truly is
it is just my humble opinion but i really hate this movie

Yes, but since the movie was satirizing the book, it was criticizing some of the things the book was championing while championing some of the things the book was criticizing.