Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Yves Simoneau, 2007

I was hoping for something of the same quality of the book; the movie is about the last chapters: red cloud 'touching the pen' and driving his people to reservations, the last frontier of crazy horse and sitting bull, that ended with their deaths. A nice feature, both sides of a story, with an interesting character ohiyesa / charles.

Stiff A.K.A. Necro Lover (2010) - 3.5/10. As the movie name says... Stiff, acting-wise it was stiff. The girl was cute enough. The movie meanders on with dull conversations. The plot is pretty much laid out in the open up front so there is suspense or anything. But for a movie that cost so low, it wasn't made woefully. A wee bit better story telling and it would have been a better movie.

I watched a very funny movie Borat, I think I will rate it as 8 out of 10

Murder in Miami (2014) - 3/10. A dull low budget thriller. The twist in the end was pretty alright. But everything leading up to it was bad. There was a cheap tribute to Psycho in there. And the ladies were gorgeous for sure. But a hopeless movie!

Miss Fisher and athe Crypt of Tears (2020) - 6.5/10. My favourite TV show ever gets a movie and they mess it all up with mythological mumbo jumbo. A wee bit more money they get and forget about the story and just go for grandeur. Should have stuck to a well written murder mystery. 6.5 might be generous, but I do have a soft spot for the show.

Account terminated on request
And the ladies were gorgeous for sure. But a hopeless movie!
"Ladies were gorgeous for sure" ≠ "A hopeless movie".

There's always hope for such movies. :-P
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Night of the Living Dead: 3.5/4

Simple but clever. Very well acted for an indie movie. Loved how the word "zombie" is never used. Didn't find it particularly scary, but I don't think anyone my age would.

Céline Sciamma, 2019

And that's it, only three films i really liked from last year. I was thinking about something profound / sensitive / insightful to write, meaningless anyhow, but perceptive edgy on my part, most people are not noticing it, i hope. I watched the movie last night, and i've been reading the "reviews" on letterboxd, and that made me think twice before writing something right now, i'll just say: the last scene, one of the music of the centuries, the antonio vivaldi four seasons rv. 315 have been around for nearly 300 years now, if you don't understand what that scene meant you don't understand the significance of a woman and bonbons, maybe worse, you don't know why we seek art. For the males who didn't like the movie, you could tell where this was going when the box fallen in the ocean.

Olivia (1983)
aka A Taste of Sin

B-grade combination of Harlequin and slasher/Giallo. It has its moments but as a whole, it's clumsy and boring. I don't know much about Ulli Lommel but he seems to have some sort of vision yet lacks the skill to put it on film. The intro is the best part of this movie and I kinda liked the lead actress. Barely above trash.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Scheme (Pat Kondelis, 2020)
6.5/10
PawParazzi (Ari Novak, 2018)
4/10
Five Fingers for Marseilles (Michael Matthews, 2017)
6/10
The Call of the Wild (Chris Sanders, 2020)
- 6.5/10

Harrison Ford has to deal with a CGI river and dog.
The Hustle (Chris Addison, 2019)
5/10
The Devil (Andrzej Zulawski, 1972)
6.5/10
Stiff (Mike McKown & Jim Towns, 2010)
5/10
Trixie Mattel: Moving Parts (Nicholas Zeig-Owens, 2019)
- 6.5/10

Trixie Mattel, a winner on RuPaul's Drag Race, sings his theme "Moving Parts".
Dark Water (Hideo Nakata, 2002)
6/10
Trapped: The Alex Cooper Story (Jeffrey G. Hunt, 2019)
5/10
The Sandwich Man (Hsiao-Hsien Hou, Zhuang Xiang Zeng & Jen Wan, 1983)
5.5/10
Through My Father's Eyes (Gary Stretch, 2019)
6.5/10

Story of WWE superstar presented through her family connections.
The Soldier's Tale (R.O. Blechman & Christian Blackwood, 1984)
+ 6.5/10
Petra (Jaime Rosales, 2018)
5.5/10
Ricochet (Nicolas Gomez, 2011)
5/10
The Current War (Alfonso Gomez-Rejon, 2017)
+ 6/10

Thomas Edison (Benedict Cumberbatch) and his DC vs. George Westinghouse (Michael Shannon) and his AC via Nikola Tesla (Nicholas Hoult).
Rabid (Soska Sisters, 2019)
5.5/10
Nona: If They Soak Me, I'll Burn Them (Camila José Donoso, 2019)
5/10
Hamsun (Jan Troell, 1996)
6.5/10
Suburban Gothic (Richard Bates Jr.. 2014)
6/10

They have to deal with a haunted house. What would you do?

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) - 6.8/10. Took a break from B movie sojourn. And i think I dumped in my pants. Should have stuck with cheesy stuff. This movie was well done. Did use some usual jump scare or false alarm tropes early on. But after that it was nice. The director did mighty fine job. Brian Cox dominated the screen. But since I live alone, I steer clear of ghost movies. Making full use of lockdown and watching these during the day time.

"Ladies were gorgeous for sure" ≠ "A hopeless movie".

There's always hope for such movies. :-P

Well it was all in the first 20-25 mins of a movie. After that it was a grind. And there was nothing special that PH cant offer!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Blood Father (2016)
This popped up in my Netflix list the other day so I decided to give it a go. I'm a sucker for revenge type flicks, no matter how bad, and in that Mel Gibson is in this one I figured it can't be that much of a risk. I was pleasantly surprised. There's nothing really special here as the plot is predictable just by reading the first letter of the synopsis, but even knowing most every turn it was still a decent ride. As always (in my opinion), Gibson does a great job of a temper-rattled ex-con trying to do right. I guess his crazy may be mostly autopilot now for him, but I still enjoy it and he is still full of energy, milking scenes effortlessly.

It's a decent cast, decent acting, and I never found myself drifting off but it is still a B movie, opening doors to character development that never go anywhere. I imagine most people watching this aren't looking for that anyway, so it's all good by me.

A solid
for what it was designed to be.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

A very beautiful, very strange movie. I enjoyed it very much.

Things we lost in the fire ( 2007)

Emotional drama with hard edges that hits the right notes with me. Benicio del Toro acting his socks off as a reforming loser/never was is the highlight but all performances are strong. Liked this

Night of the Living Dead: 3.5/4

Simple but clever. Very well acted for an indie movie. Loved how the word "zombie" is never used. Didn't find it particularly scary, but I don't think anyone my age would.
I'm in my 40s and still find it terrifying!

I'm in my 40s and still find it terrifying!
I consider Halloween to be a "fun" movie, so I must not scare easily.

The ending of Living Dead is very scary in a philosophical sense, though.