The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
You're going to hate my nomination hahaha.
We'll see. I like Ethan Hawke.
That one was one of two that I was seriously thinking of for cricket. Both of which can go either way for cricket. VERY curious to see what he thinks of it. First time I saw it, I watched it again the next night which made me like it even more AND understand it more.

That one was one of two that I was seriously thinking of for cricket. Both of which can go either way for cricket. VERY curious to see what he thinks of it. First time I saw it, I watched it again the next night which made me like it even more AND understand it more.
Was it you who also tried to nominate it for me? Somebody else did. It was just like Snowpiercer.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Was it you who also tried to nominate it for me? Somebody else did. It was just like Snowpiercer.
actually had to double check to be sure, but it looks like I did try to nominate it and had to come up with something else.
So, yeah

speaking of, I was surprised to see you had Downfall on your list of hopefuls. It was on my short list, but I couldn't remember if you even care for films with a WWII premise to it and skipped past it.

@ahwell

Just got a chance to actually read your review. I haven't seen The Social Network but Se7en and Zodiac are also some of my favorite movies. Highly recommended.

ETA: I also really liked Gone Girl, but I don't consider it a favorite.
Yeah super hyped for the rest of his stuff. Is he one of your favorite directors?

Yeah super hyped for the rest of his stuff. Is he one of your favorite directors?
I mean, if I had favorite directors then maybe? I rarely pay attention to who's behind the camera.

That said, I didn't care much for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button or The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and haven't seen any of his films that I haven't already mentioned.

Fight Club (1999)
My guess: Hey Fredrick
I only recommended one movie that isn't a favorite of mine and this isn't it. It's a good movie but not a favorite.

Gattaca
Directed by Andrew Niccol

Had this one lined up in my NF queue before the HoF started and it's a really slick looking sci-fi flick. Vincent (Ethan Hawke) is a guy whose big dream is to leave Earth and do some space travelling. Only problem is you need the right DNA to be eligible. Discrimination is a big theme in the movie. You see, Vincent was conceived the old fashioned way with no genetic manipulation unlike his younger brother who received the best from both parents. Because of this Vincent was diagnosed as having potential heart trouble which will prevent him from ever leaving earth. However, he isn't going to let that stop him. He hooks up with Jerome (Jude Law) who has the perfect DNA but became paralyzed in a swimming (?) accident. Jerome is willing to let Vincent use his DNA to fool the system and make Vincents dreams a reality. For a fee. A few things happen, Vincent gets close to being discovered as a fraud (in-valid) and what we end up with is a sci-fi murder mystery. At times this felt like a futuristic noir picture.

The movies biggest strength is its look. Some of the sets are amazing and everything looks crisp. It's a really good looking movie. The story is interesting and the acting is solid. Where it fell short for me were the characters. I never really cared if Vincent made it out to space or not. I was more interested in the murder investigation which had its own little thing going on. The cat and mouse, how Vincent had to continually keep one step ahead of the law in this technologically advanced society where a drop of blood or pee or a hair can change everything, was fun to watch. Uma Thurman plays a love interest of sorts but that never really develops into anything because Vincent's number one goal is to leave Earth. He ain't got time for no girlfriend. So it all feels kind of cold. It's a good sci-fi movie I just wish I had cared more for the characters.

I know you do lol

Thanks!
Cricket

This is one of my favorites as well. I have seen all of Day-Lewis's films up to "There Will be Blood." and I love his Irish Republican Army films, "In the Name of the Father" and "The Boxer". If you haven't seen "In the Name of the Father", I highly recommend it. Its not just Day-Lewis's performance but Postlethwaite's as well. Gesh, I miss him in films

Cricket

This is one of my favorites as well. I have seen all of Day-Lewis's films up to "There Will be Blood." and I love his Irish Republican Army films, "In the Name of the Father" and "The Boxer". If you haven't seen "In the Name of the Father", I highly recommend it. Its not just Day-Lewis's performance but Postlethwaite's as well. Gesh, I miss him in films
When we do this again, you should join. You've recommended me some really good movies in the past. l

When we do this again, you should join. You've recommended me some really good movies in the past. l
Did I ever recommend "Agora"? If not, you should watch it.. I know many many very good films ... a few that I consider great!

Cricket

I saw In the Name of the Father way back and that was good. I haven't seen The Boxer.

I saw In the Name of the Father way back and that was good. I haven't seen The Boxer.
I would recommend any of Jim Sheridan's movies.... up to before "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" . When he started making ""American"" cinema, I stopped watching. I don't consider "In America" an American film.

However, I did see "Dream House", it's Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz, I enjoy both actors.

Maybe I would join something like this if I could do a foreign film. I got a very very good one in mind.