Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Girl on the Third Floor (2019)

A lot of ideas on display here, some really good and some not so much. Takes some cues from films like Ti West's The House of the Devil, with a slow burn approach that leads to an interesting conclusion, but ultimately can't reach the same heights that film reached.

Godzilla (1998)

Not sure why I bothered. Was bad back in 1998. Fares even worse now.

Yeah I was kind of a bit iffy about my analogy in the beginning and then @this_is_the_ girl confirmed my fears.. I am sure there was a better analogy that I just can't think of, in hindsight I can say I enjoyed Coherence more.
I wish more films would be made on the subject of time warps and various paradoxes that would actually be GREAT. If anyone is aware of examples that fit the bill, recommendations would be most welcome.

The Invisible Man (2020, Leigh Whannell)

Given all the untapped potential this classic story continues to offer and all the technology available to make the best of it, this was a wasted opportunity - and ultimately a disappointment. Some of the suspense was well done early on but then it kind of deflated and lost its edge. It just didn't go nearly as dark, or suspenseful, or bold, or original as I wished it would.

Still a pretty good movie overall but I expected way more.

The Girl on the Train (2016)

OK at points but the overall flat story fails to build any meaningful suspense. That and the motivations turn this into a Channel 5 afternoon pot-boiler.

I found myself, in the last 3rd especially, checking how long was left...bad sign.

⬆️ I like it. Not the greatest movie ever produced, but I’ve seen it a couple of times.

FM (John A. Alonzo, 1978)
6/10

Enjoyable but a bit underwhelming.

Believe it or not, I was an extra in that movie, shot at Universal in the L.A. Valley. Got 3 day's pay out of it and some pretty good catered food. One of the only movies I ever heard of that was made to promote a record...

~Doc

Coherence (2013)
\

I saw a couple people discussing this along with Time Trap, and I hadn't seen either of them. Coherence appears to be the more highly rated of the two, and I found this to be pretty enjoyable. The pacing is similar to Uncut Gems where it never releases, and this might be one of the most attractive ways to tell a Schrodinger's cat type of story.

I'm not going to pretend I understand a fraction of quantum theory, but I've read on the subject enough to grasp the idea. The movie definitely keeps your head spinning trying to figure things out, but in the end it's still hard to dissect (which I guess is kinda the point). Only 90 minutes, so I'd say it's worth watching once for anyone remotely interested in this kind of mind game. Not sure if I'm on board enough to watch Time Trap though.
I think it's one of the best ultra low budget science fictions films ever made-- certainly in the 21st Century.

Dust Devil (1992)

A rewatch from way back. It's such a shame that Richard Stanley vanished from the business for a long time (and his comeback film, Color Out of Space, wasn't that good either) because this one's really good. In many ways, it reminds me of Fulci's work even though it's not nearly as violent. Beautiful, haunting and dreamlike African nightmare.

Léon Morin, Priest (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1961)

Quite a departure from the other Melville films that I had seen previously, instead of relying on exteriors and landscapes to create striking images, Melville relies on the performances and physicality of the two lead actors. Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Paul Belmondo both give terrific performances, subdued at times but packed emotion, conveying immense complex feelings. From their first encounter, I was hooked on their relationship. The film builds up great sexual tension and tackles its central themes with respect and sincerity which I think adds to the power and makes it feel genuine in the same way Melville treats the codes of the cop or the criminal, studying their dynamics with other humans.

Vampyr (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1932)

This almost silent film could have been made without any spoken dialogue at all, as Dreyer utilises all the common elements of silent cinema combining striking images, clever editing, moody photography and a suspenseful story. Some of the sequences are absolutely superb, with Dreyer really succeeding in creating a nightmare type atmosphere of terror.

Frankenstein (James Whale, 1931)

Another unforgettable horror film that similarly manages to build up fantastic atmosphere and has a number of striking set pieces that elevate the film to a high level. It’s a classic story, but Whale’s direction makes sure that there’s no excess or cheesiness holding it down, his cinematography and editing make for a really exciting and sometimes emotional film. A great back to back double feature with Vampyr, as two superb and massively influential films.

The Silence (Ingmar Bergman, 1963)

As usual this Bergman film is mysterious and enthralling, with two strong performances at its heart as is often the case with the director. The story remains largely unexplained, with very little dialogue, leaving feelings and memories to be discerned through actions instead, on the contrast to Autumn Sonata that I recently watched.

Breaking 10/10

Marco D'Amore, 2019

If you watch gomorra la serie you know this is a must watch. Marco d'amore brings the vibe of one of the most famous episodes in the series: inferno 3x03 that took place in albania. This time takes place in riga-latvia and flashbacks from naples. European picture with an outstanding cinematography, the way they film vehicles and the surroundings are at the level of a jarmusch and wenders. I especially liked the dark tonality of the environment, it's the perfect tone for a film in the baltic region. The intense escalating simplistic soundtrack driving to an action sequences are enough to glue you to the seat, also the scenes are at a level of realism that you don't see in any american picture, americans fictionalize and even romanticize violent action scenes, this italians try to make them raw. If i hadn't watched the series i'd rate this lower, emotionally was very lazy with too many flaws.

Blitz (2011)

Fast paced Brit thriller featuring mis-matched cops, Jason Statham and Paddy Considine, on the trail of a vindictive, fame-hungry serial killer (Aidan Gillen). Pacey with good back-up from Brit stalwarts like Mark Rylance and David Morrissey. As an aside, one thing puzzled me, when they 'pull the sheet' of the suspect (after some Sweeney type sexist banter) it shows that he has been convicted of assault with a deadly weapon yet the cop deigns this "petty stuff"....bonkers!! Still:

I wish more films would be made on the subject of time warps and various paradoxes that would actually be GREAT. If anyone is aware of examples that fit the bill, recommendations would be most welcome.
Ive got this to watch at some point though don't know if its any good, it has very mixed reviews

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2669336/
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Midnight in Paris - 4/10
I can only watch whatever is available on Concast, and the description sounded great, because I have to look back before my birth to access things I like. The first ten minutes seemed promising, but man, this movie sucked.

Welcome to the human race...
3 From Hell -

do you think Rob's ever actually going to make a zombie movie or would that be too on-the-nose

Basket Case (1982) - 6/10. Pretty good movie for a bonkers plot. I can see why it is a cult classic. My only complain is the unnecessary yelling and howling by the actors. I turned the volume down to 2 but still found it hard to focus on my work. Every actor was probably auditioning for the Opera I guess.

Tales from Crypt (1972) - 6.7/10. This movie surprised me. It was pretty good. Not about ghosts, ghouls, zombies etc. Just plain good. Compared to the shouting match that followed with basket case, this was brilliantly done.

THE LION KING
(2019)

What was the point of this remake? Scene-by-scene replay of the original, which was far more superior.

WALL-E
(2008)

First time viewing
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

The Girl on the Train (2016)

OK at points but the overall flat story fails to build any meaningful suspense. That and the motivations turn this into a Channel 5 afternoon pot-boiler.

I found myself, in the last 3rd especially, checking how long was left...bad sign.

I find this rating generous..