My Most Hated Television Characters List

Tools    

Ok, I just scanned through this list again and I have to ask...who's Alice? Did you mean Alex?
Sorry, I meant Beverly. No idea why Alice came to mind. Maybe it was because her surname was Harris and I was trying to make sense of why that was in my mind? I don't know.

I don't really remember Larry (as he was played in the US version) but I didn't mind him too much in the UK version.

You really watch some many bad Television I have to say .

Just to be clear, a lot of these characters are from really great television shows that I loved. Hating specific characters doesn't mean I hated the show or that the show was bad.

Dr. April Kepner, Grey's Anatomy

This was another one of those cases where I'm not sure which I hated more, the character, or the actress portraying her. Sarah Drew played this sugary sweet idealistic young doctor who was raised on a farm by extremely God-fearing parents and used her religious beliefs to judge others, do things she believed in and avoid things she didn't...especially sex. Since she was a virgin when she first came on the show, it goes without saying that her star-crossed romance with Dr. Jackson Avery made both of them nuts, despite a beautiful baby girl as one of the results. The character was just so saccharine and such a know-it-all, whenever I could I would FF through her scenes.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.

Aleksander Petrovsky, Sex and the City

Dance icon Mikhail Baryshnikov had his first recurring television role on the HBO series as a temperamental, sexist artist who romances Carrie (Sarah Jessica Parker), convinces her to move to Paris with him when his work takes him there, and upon her arrival there, pretty much just ignores the woman. This guy was such an ass but the only one who could see it was Miranda (Cynthia Nixon) who, after one conversation with Carrie over the phone from Paris, went to Carrie's on again off again ex, Big (Chris Noth) and begged him to go to Paris and "bring our girl home."
Loner's My Most Hated Television Characters List.

Everybody except for Samantha Jones in Sex and the City.

Really an unwatchable show except for Kim Cattrall. 29 minutes of whining, for one minute of absolute hilarity.

Okay I'm a mod so report me...

... but this is one of the funny moments ever.

Warning, bad language

Mellie Grant, Scandal

Bellamy Young did some brilliant, Emmy-worthy work bringing this completely hissable character to life. Mellie was the calculating First Lady of Fitzgerald Grant (Tony Goldwyn) who actually was a participant in the rigging of her husband's presidential election because she wanted to use him to further her own political ambitions (specifically becoming POTUS herself). She was fully aware of her husband's affair with Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) and when she realized there was nothing she could do to stop it, used it to her own advantage. The writers attempted to infuse some sympathy into the character when, at one point, it was revealed that she had been raped by her wealthy and powerful father-in-law (Barry Bostwick), but by that time, the sympathy boat had already sailed.

Terry Milkovich, Shameless

Dennis Cockrum played the psychotic, homophobic career criminal who refused to accept the fact that his son, Mickey (Noel Fisher) was gay. When he learned that Mickey and Ian (Cameron Monaghan) were lovers, he tried to murder them and tried to murder them again on their wedding day. This character had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Alexandra Cabot, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit

Stephanie March played this character who on paper, was one of the good guys, but I couldn't stand her. Alex Cabot was the first ADA on the show who did everything strictly by the book and would not pursue a case that wasn't rock solid. She would pursue one perp on relatively thin evidence and let another perp go because the case wasn't airtight. On more than one occasion, a crime victim would kill her attacker in self-defense and the only thing Alex would think about is making sure that victim was charged with murder, even if it was a single mother. She and Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay) were constantly at each other's throats and she pissed off more than one judge during her tenure on the show. She also had more than her share of enemies on the wrong side of the law...so many that the first time she was written off the show, the character was sent to the witness protection program for her own safety.

Leon Carp, Roseanne

Debated long and hard as to whether or not include this character on the list. This came down to one of our industry's most likable actors playing a very unlikable character. Leon (Martin Mull) was first introduced on the show as Roseanne's boss when she was working as a waitress in the restaurant at Rodbell's. He was nasty and condescending to Roseanne on a regular basis and an alleged attempt to infuse sympathy in the character came about when it was revealed that he was gay, but the character became nastier. A couple of seasons later, when Roseanne opened her own restaurant, Leon popped up as the health inspector and when Roseanne couldn't stand her mother anymore as a silent partner, she sold her share of the restaurant to Leon to spite Roseanne and once again, she and Leon were constantly butting heads. His constant insults and putdowns of Roseanne, most of them having to do with her weight, got really old really fast.

Captain Wallace B. Binghamton, McHale's Navy

The late great Joe Flynn brought this despicable character to life. Binghamtothe always angry naval captain who did his best to make the life of Quinton McHale (Ernest Borgnine) a living hell. The character lost a lot of its value to the show when Borgnine left the show, but he was still as unlikable as ever.

Ellen, Will and Grace

Actress Leigh-Allyn Baker played a character who I wanted to stuff a sock in her mouth on a regular basiis. Ellen was the obnoxious and highly-strung longtime BFF of Grace (Debra Messing) introduced during the early seasons of the show. She was married to the whimpy Rob (Tom Gallop) whose balls were in a mason jar somewhere hidden by Ellen. After she and Rob became engaged, she learned he had a one night stand with Grace and decided the only way to make things right was to have sex with Will (Eric McCormack). She would agree to Will and Grace's game nights and then throw temper tantrums when Will and Grace would win and once Rob got her pregnant, the only justifiable reaction to her behavior to Rob and everyone else in her orbit would have been death.

Phoebe Tyler Wallingford, All My Children

The late Ruth Warrick began her long and distinguished career playing Orson Welle's wife in Citizen Kane, but really made her mark in the business playing this despicable soap opera character for 35 years until her death in 2005. Phoebe was a wealthy Pine Valley matriarch married to Dr. Charles Tyler, who she made so miserable that he began having an affair with his secretary, Mona Kane, mother of the legendary Erica Kane (Susan Lucci). Phoebe was not above blackmailing Charles or faking paralysis to keep Charles and Mona apart. While trying to keep her sham of a marriage together, she also managed to interfere with the romance between son, Linc, and the love of his life, Kitty. She also spent more than her share of time keeping other son Chuck away from first love Tara and second love, Donna Beck, whose past as a hooker became Phoebe's number one weapon in keeping Chuck and Donna apart. Phoebe was a meddling busybody who didn't care about what anyone wanted except herself.

Danielle Melnick, Law and Order

Tovah Feldshuh played this hard-nosed, know-it-all, defense attorney who lived to square off against ADA Jack McCoy (Sam Waterston), but never took her losses gracefully.

Damian Spinelli, General Hospital

Bradford Anderson plays one of daytime's most annoying characters. Spinelli is a super genius computer geek who is able to hack into just about any computer on the planet to find the information he needs. Spinelli is also a social nerd who communicates with people in the most complicated way possible. He uses over-flowerly dialogue that almost has a Shakespearean quality to it, but it's so annoying because it takes him twenty-five minutes to say what most people can say in five. He doggedly pursued Maxie Jones (Kirsten Storms) into a romance which actually produced a daughter named Georgie, but then fell in love with a fellow nerd named Ellie who talks just like he does. He and Ellie left Port Charles but Spinelli recently returned because he believes the current man in Maxie's life, the son of a world renown criminal madman, is putting Maxie and her children in danger as well. Spinelli has a heart as big as all outdoors, but the way he talks makes me want to stuff a sock in his mouth.

Anthony Marantino, Sex and the City

Mario Cantone played this character whose every move and every word that came out of his mouth was akin to nails on a blackboard.

⬆️ He was funny though. Loved the scene on the Central Park bench when he identified every man to Charlotte as gay, doesn’t know he’s gay, etc.

Sometimes Anthony annoyed me, but I doubt he'd have even come to mind for me on a list like this. Rep cos I adored that show and agree that he could be really annoying.

Ralph Furley, Three's Company

He won five Emmys for playing Barney Fife on The Andy Griffith Show, but the late Don Knotts redefined annoying with this character. After TPTB at Three's Company decided to spin off the Ropers (Norman Fell, Audra LIndley) into their own show, Knotts was brought on to play the new landlord, a super nosy and fastidious landlord with a bad toupee and a worse wardrobe who thought he was God's gift to women and loved slinging homophobic slurs at Jack (the late John Ritter) every chance he got. Knotts completely redefined the term "overacting" in this role, making this character really grate on the nerves.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Ralph Furley, Three's Company

He won five Emmys for playing Barney Fife on The Andy Griffith Show, but the late Don Knotts redefined annoying with this character. After TPTB at Three's Company decided to spin off the Ropers (Norman Fell, Audra LIndley) into their own show, Knotts was brought on to play the new landlord, a super nosy and fastidious landlord with a bad toupee and a worse wardrobe who thought he was God's gift to women and loved slinging homophobic slurs at Jack (the late John Ritter) every chance he got. Knotts completely redefined the term "overacting" in this role, making this character really grate on the nerves.

I thought Mr. Furley was a little annoying, but IMO, I wouldn't consider him a "hated" character.