Overrated movies & what to see instead

Tools    

It Follows (2014)

Teeth (2007)
Haha. Yes!

Welcome to the human race...
It's less about the story and more about the mood, really. I'd rather sort City of God with Spirited Away (relaxing) than Clockwork Orange (shocking)
Even in terms of mood, I'd still say City of God is much more comparable to A Clockwork Orange than it is to Spirited Away (and of all the words I would use to describe City of God, "relaxing" would definitely not be one of them).

Di je Karlo?
I'd rather sort City of God with Spirited Away (relaxing) than Clockwork Orange (shocking).
It's less about the story and more about the mood, really. I'd rather sort City of God with Spirited Away (relaxing) than Clockwork Orange (shocking)
Even in terms of mood, I'd still say City of God is much more comparable to A Clockwork Orange than it is to Spirited Away (and of all the words I would use to describe City of God, "relaxing" would definitely not be one of them).
Are you two serious?

Are you asking me if I'm serious when I say the Brazilian street-gang movie has more in common with the English street-gang movie than it does with the Japanese kids' fantasy movie with no street gangs?

It's like if I'd said "I'd rather sort Whiplash with My Neighbour Totoro (relaxing) than Fight Club (shocking)".

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Are you asking me if I'm serious when I say the Brazilian street-gang movie has more in common with the English street-gang movie than it does with the Japanese kids' fantasy movie with no street gangs?

It's like if I'd said "I'd rather sort Whiplash with My Neighbour Totoro (relaxing) than Fight Club (shocking)".
Basically this...

See The Babysitter (2017) instead of Better Watch Out (2017).

Idiocracy is overrated, see Sorry to Bother You instead.

Nice to see some love for Sorry to Bother You...not a perfect film, but deserves more attention than it gets around here.

Call Me By Your Name is overrated and the story it tells is illegal and the main character is with an underaged teenager, see anything else instead.
Your wording of this post implies your personal distaste for the film rather than the film actually being overrated.

Personal distaste is the whole reason anything gets called overrated.
I quite liked anything.

Di je Karlo?

The only thing they have in common is the elevator pitch. One is about the crimes the gangs commit and how society deals with them, while the other is more about the people in the gangs. They're paced, shot, acted and written differently. Maybe spirited away was a bad choice for comparison (Life is a Miracle would've been better, but nobody's ever heard of that), but still, City of God is nothing like Clockwork Orange.

Also, good job looking at my top 10 and using that in your example.

Isn't that the point of the thread, though? To take films that share a fundamental similarity but are executed in such distinctly different ways that you could make a good case for one being better than the other? That's why I singled out Whiplash and Fight Club - because at their most basic both films are about a disaffected young man falling under the spell of a violently principled leader, but there's still enough different about the two of them that you could argue how one makes better use of the premise than the other.

Di je Karlo?
Fundamental similarity, yes, but in the intended effect, not in the story concept. It's basically "movie that tries and fails to do X vs movie that does X". You can't compare Clockwork Orange to City of God, but you do have a point with Fight Club and Whiplash. They do have a similar air of angst to them

Account terminated on request
I'll suggest the Bourne movies over 007 movies, except for perhaps 1 or 2 early classics.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Which type of movies count as more overrated, the blockbuster crowd pleasers, or the ones that are not as well known but have a critical following? For example, Top Gun, Dirty Dancing and Die Hard I think are overrated, but they are well known... Where as The Deer Hunter, Once Upon a Time in America, and Brazil, I also think are overrated, and they are critically acclaimed and liked in that sense, but most people I know, haven't heard of them compared to other three. So what type of movie counts as more overrated therefore?

You see a lot of threads about overrated movies, so I thought I'd make a more constructive one. Here's how it goes:
You name any overrated movie, then name another one that gives you what the first one promised you.
Here are my (biased and rantish, but true nonetheless) picks:

Fury road is overrated, see Legenda o Kolovrate/Furious instead.
I get that some people praise fury road for the action and not the feminist aspect, but you'll find that Legenda o Kolovrate is just as exciting, and it has the benefit of not having a spinelessly conformist, insultingly presnted, and factually wrong message (and two hollywood-pretty leads in a sea of putrid mutants).

Princess mononoke is overrated, see Ničija Zemlja/No Man's Land instead.
I know I spit on mononoke a lot, but I really should stress that what people have told me with full confidence is an engaging masterpiece with a profound anti-war message (and definitely not just a pretentious cartoon for 13-year-olds) really has nothing on Ničija Zemlja, a real anti-war statement and a real masterpiece. There are countless grievances I have with the former, all of which are complemented by the latter, but the main characters says it all. Nino is a deeply flawed human being fully capable of being scared and confused by the absurd situation he's in. A****aka is a textbook mary sue.

Anchorman is overrated, see ZG80 instead.
Unlike the previous two overrated movies, I don't really hate Anchorman, it just doesn't hold up after a second viewing. It has some funny moments, like that ''toilet store'' line, but the rest of it comes across as what you'd see in modern Spongebob. ZG80 is the same brand of quotable comedy, but without the mentioned problem, and remeniscent of the trips we all had with our friends.
I couldn't even get through all of Fury Road...turned it off after about 25 minutes.