Coronavirus

Tools    

⬆️ So sorry to hear this news. Keep us updated please.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Well, it's hit home.

My sister-in-law has caught it.
She's a nurse with the NHS.

My brother though, if he gets it, which he probably will now... he has a heart condition.
Family is crossing fingers and toes atm.

That's unfortunate, I'm hoping for a swift turnaround. I worry about my sister as well. It's hard for me to fathom, but these people have a calling not unlike a soldier. They walk into dire situations knowing that their well-being takes a backseat to the greater good.

A system of cells interlinked
Jeez @The Rodent, so sorry to hear this. Sending my best your way.

Wishing them all the best Rodent, may it be mild and swiftly recovered from.

Small world. You're both just a few hours away (7th being a few hours less, of course!). I'm in the SE corner of Alabama. My sister lives in ...er.. somewhere around Pensacola. Never been to her house so not sure. But my dad lives in the panhandle too. My mom's mom and sister (mom's) both live maybe an hour east of Tampa.

We should all meet somewhere in the middle and go drunk canoeing! Cuz that's a thing 'round these here parts.
I'm game once this is all over. Cant do the drinking (a few years sober now), but I can still make a fool of myself and can be around others drinking no prob.

Best of luck to you and your family Rodent.

On a side note I currently use a CPAP machine for sleep apnea. I do not use it every night like I should, sometimes I just cant get to sleep with it on. Anyway it appears as if you have COVID it makes it a lot easier to spread the virus. Since many people have no idea if they have it or not they might want to isolate themselves to a separate room if possible when using thir machine. Of course I am not a doctor so I suggest asking a medical professional any specific questions but I just wanted to make anyone on a CPAP aware. I personally am going to forgo using my machine right now unless I have trouble and if I do I will use our guest room. I know all of us with sleep apnea cannot do that so just be careful out there.

https://aasm.org/coronavirus-covid-1...pnea-patients/

More on the seasonal flu comparison:

Why worry about coronavirus when the flu kills many more people?
The novel coronavirus is dangerous for several reasons, even if the number of deaths haven’t matched that of the flu.

The first US case of coronavirus was reported in January, and the first US death from coronavirus was reported in late February. By March 26, the US had more than 78,000 cases of coronavirus, and at least 1,135 people have died.

Since this flu season started October 1, more than 23,000 Americans have died from the flu, according to CDC estimates. Nationwide, the flu has infected at least 34 million people between October and mid-March.

But here are key differences when comparing the flu vs. coronavirus:
  • The CDC estimates for the flu go back to October 2019. But the first US case of coronavirus didn’t emerge until several months later.
  • Coronavirus is twice as contagious as the flu. Research indicates a person with the flu infects an average of 1.28 other people, CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said. But with coronavirus, “it’s likely between two and three” other people.
  • Coronavirus infections have a “very high mortality rate – one in six – among people who are over 80 and people with underlying chronic disease,” epidemiologist Dr. Abdul El-Sayed said.
  • People with coronavirus might not get symptoms for 14 days, and some get no symptoms at all. But during that time, they’re still contagious and can infect others unknowingly.
  • A vaccine is available for the flu, but no vaccine is available for coronavirus. Experts say the number of flu deaths could be drastically reduced if more people got their flu shots. But about half of Americans don’t get vaccinated, including most children who die from the flu.
It's obviously reasonable to ask the question, but we have to listen to the answer, too.

Im not trying to be Tom Clancy or make this an Oliver Stone plot but in some countries can we trust what the real stats are to live die and recovering from this problem. My overall guess is it will take till June to finally kick the Virus here. I have no proof but i fully believe heat of summer will be a factor. It very possible china never did recover as fast or would report set backs. If your Country is rid of it then why still wearing masks as if nothing has changed.

Sorry, I am up and down here at work and just now getting a chance to address this. Yoda pretty much already responded in a similar way to how I would respond. My point is that people are freaking out when seeing the numbers, as if the virus is suddenly raging out of control, when instead, we are just now bringing evidence to light that it was never really under control, and that perhaps a larger portion of people with the virus have little or no symptoms.
The numbers will definitely rise for those infected as testing increases - and, relative to the population, we've barely begun to scratch the surface with testing.

So, number-wise it's going to look a lot worse in the near future and keep looking that way for at least a couple more weeks (the same way it would for stats that just started tracking any communicable disease).

After a while, though, the numbers in the "recovered" column will begin to rise and will keep rising.

Even now, the number of Recovered cases exceeds the number of Deaths by almost 5 times!

Since we are in this early stage, there's no way to tell for sure, but right now statistics say that the chances of dying after contracting Corona virus (from Corona virus) are between 0.5% and 1%.

Im not trying to be Tom Clancy or make this an Oliver Stone plot but in some countries can we trust what the real stats are to live die and recovering from this problem. My overall guess is it will take till June to finally kick the Virus here. I have no proof but i fully believe heat of summer will be a factor. It very possible china never did recover as fast or would report set backs. If your Country is rid of it then why still wearing masks as if nothing has changed.
One thing that troubles me is: a reason flus tend to recede in warmer weather (not the only reason, but a big one) is people start going outside more and making more space between each other (as opposed to being congregated indoors).

Outdoors is safer, spread-wise, because of open space, wind & the elements, and there are less touchable surfaces - and the surfaces outdoors are usually exposed to the elements (sun, UV radiation, wind, rain, percipitation, evaporation, etc.) so probably can't host flu germs very long.

But with governments starting to order and enforce shelter-in-place orders, closing beaches, parks, or parking lots for various outdoor places... a lot less people are going to get outside or go to outdoor venues or put more outdoor space between them and others. Restricting people from outdoor venues may actually keep more people within more spreadable environments.

⬆️ The Kingdom of Jordan in the Middle East has ordered its citizens to stay inside 24/7 upon threat of arrest.

Does anyone else like Peter Frampton? He has the funniest twitter post about washing his hands in his kitchen. Can’t post a link - you have to be on twitter to see it.

The Queen of England will die one day, but let’s not go there. Morbid thoughts.

What ever gave you the idea that I’m a nurse?

In my mind, this entire year will be devoted to the coronavirus. I see no escape from it in 2020.

This is the problem where I live. Predominantly Spanish & they’re now “coming out of the woodwork”, as it were because the winter is over. I see no evidence at all that they understand exactly what social distancing is or that they are taking precautions. They are happy gregarious people, but this is not the time to be in gatherings.

For the love of God get your cat fixed! That’s why there are stray cats!

Are you kidding me!!!
Oh gee you know if only i knew you could have a cat fixed. Its called being low on money. Here in WV standard fee is 250.00 to fix a female cat

But with governments starting to order and enforce shelter-in-place orders, closing beaches, parks, or parking lots for various outdoor places... a lot less people are going to get outside or go to outdoor venues or put more outdoor space between them and others. Restricting people from outdoor venues may actually keep more people within more spreadable environments.
Yes, and no. The environment is "more spreadable" indoors, but spread is less likely if the only people you're in contact with are the people you live with anyway. If you and your family/roommates/etc don't have corona and you stay indoors and don't interact with other people, you're not going to get it. If you or someone you live with do get it, you're less likely to spread to anyone outside your home if you're not interacting with anyone else.

Oh gee you know if only i knew you could have a cat fixed. Its called being low on money. Here in WV standard fee is 250.00 to fix a female cat
I financially support my local animal shelter & I do a lot of TNR (trap, neuter & release). I have spent hundreds of dollars of my own money doing this.

In Connecticut you can get a state voucher & pay as little as $100 for a spay/neuter. Maybe WV offers the same thing? Go online & look. Mind you, I live in a poor city & $100 is a ton of money for many people here.

But your cat can become pregnant 2-3 times a year until it dies. Now you have her & 6 kittens. The kittens can get pregnant at 4 months old so do the math.

You mentioned the stray cats. This is because people don’t get them fixed.

Do you have a local shelter? Call them & they will most likely take momma in & her kittens. Keep in mind: don’t feed to breed.