Question about the gun that wouldn't fire in Schindler's List (1993)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, yes that's a good theory. Another scene that felt like a bit of a fake out was the shower scene. You think the women are going to die, but then they don't and it kind of felt like Spielberg didn't have the guts to go through with it. Unless this happened in the true story, and they just really would have rather stuck with that, rather than go for dramatic license?

The trick is not minding
it was meant for tension. I’ve seen the argument that the Jews couldn’t have been aware of the gas chambers but this is false. The Holocaust Museum showed they were abundantly clear about that prospect.
In this scene in particular, they were concerned right away about being ushered into the chamber, and even more so when the lights went out.
I can’t recall correctly, but I’m sure a director accused him of stealing this scene, which previous director had said he experienced this first hand.

The director who accused Spielberg was the one who directed the movie The Night Overtakes Me. Here is the similar shower scene from that movie. I hope it's okay to show, I am giving a,

WARNING:

I've actually been wanting to see the whole movie but haven't been able to find an English subtitled copy.

Account terminated on request
I think I just caught another goof that I would have never noticed if I hadn't watched the clip again...

The second handgun Goeth pulls out of his pocket is - well, I don't know what they're called - but it's a small, smooth, compact cartridge weapon. Yet when he drops that gun on the ground it appears to be a revolver with a longer barrel, and when the other Nazi picks it up and tries to fire it in the air it looks like a revolver complete with a cylinder.

Take a look and let me know what you think.
You're right!!!! Never noticed that before!

The gun he pulls out of his pocket is definitely a semi-automatic (I cropped out parts of the film to make it obvious). The red line is from youtube pause.

The semi-automatic from his pocket:

And this is the revolver that it turns into as he walks away just before he drops it.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

I wont even contemplate Spielberg would make such a silly error and there would of been gun and ammunitions experts on set handling each scene. In some ways that the inmate survived shows goeth to be even worse than had the guns fired, it proves just how unsanctioned this execution was in the first place, how the nazis were just murderers and can give or take life on whim.. it could also be looked at as a foreshadow of Goeths own death, only in his case there was no chance for divine intervention.. if that's how you choose to look at it... he was one of the first war criminal to be personally tried for murder... they just kept reapplying the noose
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Actually that's a really good point, cause when they tried to hang Goeth, they had to keep kicking the chair out, kind of similar to how he kept failing to fix the gun. Didn't think of it that way, till now.

As for the nazis having a revolver in that scene, did the nazis ever use revolvers? Every time you seee them in movies they always seem to have automatics. Were revolvers more of an American gun and not used by Europe as much?

Account terminated on request
No, revolvers were everywhere until roughly 1909. In 1911, the M1911 was in full production (a semi-automatic) and was superior not in that it held 7 bullets (which it did), but that the reload was far faster.

It's one down side was that a dud round stopped you firing.

Germans of course had their own similar weapons at that time.

That's simply not a semi-automatic in that picture though. If there was something that was left on the cutting room floor that had a scene where he pulled out a personal revolver of his, then maybe that explains it.