Baseball Movies

Tools    

With the MLB season delayed, we started thinking about our favorite baseball movies. Here is the list we came up with. What are yours?

10. Money Ball
09. The Babe
08. The Bad News Bears
07. Field of Dreams
06. Mr. Baseball
05. Rookie of the Year
04. A League of Their Own
03. Bull Durham
02. The Sandlot
01. Major League

Honorable mention to Ken Burn’s Baseball, even though it’s a doc not a movie, still a must watch.

A few more for you to check out...

Pride of the Yankees
Eight Men Out
For Love of the Game
Bang the Drum Slowly
The Natural
The Slugger's Wife
The Final Season
Everybody Wants Some

Brewster's Millions (kinda)

(And the Majpr League sequels, for what it's worth, lol)

Also as you've added an honourable mention for Ken Burns' documentary series, may as well add an honourable mention for the mini-series, The Bronx is Burning.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Damn Yankees (1958)
Bang the Drum Slowly (1973)
Field of Dreams (1989)
The Rookie (2002)
Take Me Out to the Ball Game (1949)
The Pride of the Yankees (1942)
The Natural (1984)
It Happens Every Spring (1949)
Moneyball (2011)
The Bad News Bears (1976)
A League of Their Own (1992)
Bull Durham (1988)
Fever Pitch (2005)
Angels in the Outfield (1994)

A few more for you to check out...

Pride of the Yankees
Eight Men Out
For Love of the Game
Bang the Drum Slowly
The Natural
The Slugger's Wife
The Final Season
Everybody Wants Some

Brewster's Millions (kinda)

(And the Majpr League sequels, for what it's worth, lol)

Also as you've added an honourable mention for Ken Burns' documentary series, may as well add an honourable mention for the mini-series, The Bronx is Burning.
The Bronx is Burning was great forgot about that one!

Fever Pitch (2005).

I was trying to think of the name of this. Kept thinking i know its effectively an adaptation of the Nick Hornby novel and British movie that was about football (that's the actual game where players, you know, actually use their feet :P ), and remembered it had Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon in it, but couldn't think of the name, lol

My favorite baseball movie by far was Pride of the Yankees starring Gary Cooper.
When I was a kid, I watched the movie at least twenty times. I remember crying near the end of the movie every time I saw Lou Gehrig fall off that stool in the clubhouse because of his illness and his teammates, out of respect for their captain, pretended they did not see him fall.
I also vividly remember that final scene when Lou slowly walked past his teammates after delivering his famous speech about being the luckiest man on the face of the earth and then just before disappearing into the darkness of the clubhouse, a shout of “Play ball” could be heard from the field he had left behind.
The movie was a tear jerker for me and I assume anyone else who loves baseball.

In random order:
  • The Natural
  • Field of Dreams
  • Bull Durham
  • Major League
  • Eight Men Out
  • A League of Their Own
  • Sugar
  • The Fan
  • Mr. Destiny
  • Million Dollar Arm
  • 61*

My favorite baseball movies (in no particular order):

* Moneyball
* The Babe
* Major League 1 (and 2)
* The Natural
* Baseball (the Ken Burns' documentary series)
* Eight Men Out
* The Benchwarmers
* Little Big League

I'm eager to watch:
* Mr. 3000
* The Fan
* Mr. Destiny
* Bottom of the 9th
* The Final Season
* Ed
* Night Game
* Eddie's Million Dollar Cook Off
* Bull Durham

Little Big League is not the best baseball movie, probably not by a long shot, but it might be the most frequently forgotten/underrated one when the topic comes up.

1. Eight Men Out
2. Bull Durham
3. Sugar
4. Moneyball
5. The Natural
6. The Bad News Bears (1976)
7. Field of Dreams
8. A League of Their Own
9. Major League
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Little Big League is not the best baseball movie, probably not by a long shot, but it might be the most frequently forgotten/underrated one when the topic comes up.

When we do a sports movie countdown, Rocky will have to have to make room for Billy Heywood and friends at the top of my ballot.