Coronavirus

Tools    

I have a question what is the national gaurd gonna do in LA and New York to help do. Unless there in full bodied germ suits they can get infected or be carriers as well. If Cops Fireman and emts cannot help the medical problems. The Guard is gonna create more sick . I just think its too late to try an contain a virus thats all ready in all 50 states.

People that are not staying home are people who has to work so others can stay home. Trash, mail and ups workers cops fireman emts grocery store people hospital nurses and deliver truck drivers and not to mention gov workers. At some point these people have to be on the road. The issue people now not staying home thats an issue is the rich and pampered young people like the spring breakers.

Im for staying home to not get other sick. But it was done 2 months to late to try and stop the spreading of the virus. Its in all 50 states now.

I have one question in 2009 the swine flu that killed 12,000 Americans and infected 57,000 people world wide. how was that pandemic cured. If i recall it ended more so when summer came. A shot was created after the fact. No drug can stop a germ. We can only sadly treat and save people from dying and thank God allot have recovered or didnt get infected and some people wont.

I have a question what is the national gaurd gonna do in LA and New York to help do.
I don't know, but a while back I heard something about them being deployed to secure the ports... whatever that means.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Harvey Weinstein tests positive for Coronavirus
XDDDDDDDDDDDD
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

13 industrial rolls of bum-cleaning joy.
And hopefully enough left over when we come out the other side of this to launch out the window in celebration

Well one hopes have no pet like a cat that will tear it up. We just got a 16 Rolls pack ahead of the 16 Pack we already had. So if do well we have enough T paper till Least First of May. Assuming dont pick up more in april for some reason.

Said I'd post it...

13 industrial rolls of bum-cleaning joy.
GF came back from the store with a case of bum wipe. Store brand. I told her if this lasts though the pandemic I'll be able to use it to sand down some woodworking projects. I think it about 120 grit. More cheese, please

The Coronavirus Hoax

An excellent post, Loner! I'm starting to see the first inkling of people who suspect that we've been "had" by the panic mongers.

According to the World Health Organization the worldwide seasonal flu virus typically kills between 290,000 and 650,000 people. To date there have been only 15,408 worldwide deaths attributed to the COVID-19 virus.

The CDC states that annually in the U.S. between 12,000 to 61,000 people die from the seasonal flu virus. To date there have been only 458 deaths attributed to the COVID-19 virus.

A logical person might ask --given these numbers-- why the draconian measures, disruption of civil liberties, and fear? It's starting to look as though we will likely be forced into recession and that people will suffer financial hardship for no good reason.

~Doc

I'm going to say this for the last time: if you're going to float conspiracies (and I know from personal experience you like to do exactly that), you should answer the really, really simple questions I've been asking over and over about them, rather than reflexively spreading doubt and misinformation. If you truly believe yourself to be fact-based and skeptically-minded, responding to such simple follow-ups should be something you welcome, rather than something you avoid like...well, you know.

This is no longer a request.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
An excellent post, Loner! I'm starting to see the first inkling of people who suspect that we've been "had" by the panic mongers.

According to the World Health Organization the worldwide seasonal flu virus typically kills between 290,000 and 650,000 people. To date there have been only 15,408 worldwide deaths attributed to the COVID-19 virus.

The CDC states that annually in the U.S. between 12,000 to 61,000 people die from the seasonal flu virus. To date there have been only 458 deaths attributed to the COVID-19 virus.

A logical person might ask --given these numbers-- why the draconian measures, disruption of civil liberties, and fear? It's starting to look as though we will likely be forced into recession and that people will suffer financial hardship for no good reason.

~Doc
That's not why I posted that. Shouldn't have posted it to begin with. That's Rand Paul's dad. It was suppose to be ironic, like "rain on your wedding day" or whatever.

I think the estimate in #2 is a bit high.

The Spanish Flu in 1918 killed only 50 million worldwide. Now, granted, there are a lot more people on Earth now and travel is a lot easier & faster, but at the same time we are far more advanced in science, medicine and knowledge than we were a full century ago.

We also aren't coming out of a world war that stifled communication - we have unbelievable worldwide communication now that allows us to track many variables, statistics, treatments and to share information. We know far more about the preventative measuers of hygiene now.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?
Agree with some of it.

I agree that the fast spread of information could help immensely. It's been very impressive and encouraging how fast the word got out. But that might be counteracted by the number of people who willfully choose to disregard or downplay it. The downside of having a lot of information is people get into the habit of picking and choosing which information to trust, and we can plainly see people letting political considerations influence their level of skepticism, the same way they do with anything else.

Another possible problem is that the communications you mention are accompanied by more mobility for people and physical goods, which is obviously pushing in the other direction. We can learn about it faster than people could learn about the Spanish flu, but it can also spread much faster, and we generally have a lot more people living in densely populated areas.

Even if we wanna call all that a wash (which might be generous), and even if you assume a death rate at about half of what the so-called Spanish Flu had, that still leads to staggering numbers:

You ready? You look ready.
I just love how people seem to forget that the seasonal flu covers November-May.

COVID-19 has been around a little less than a month.

So basically, you're wearing the idiot hat if you try comparing numbers to argue this really ain't that bad.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I just love how people seem to forget that the seasonal flu covers November-May.

COVID-19 has been around a little less than a month.

So basically, you're wearing the idiot hat if you try comparing numbers to argue this really ain't that bad.
Yeah, bizarre. "The numbers are so much higher for this six-month thing than this thing that's been going around a fraction of the time and which most infected people just got." Well...yeah. Of course.

Not to mention that it's totally failing to account for trajectory. The whole point here is that by the time the numbers are comparable it's too late. Here, watch this number doubling each day:

A smart person doesn't see this and say "big whoop, 64 people." A smart person sees this and extrapolates a little. Obviously they don't treat the doubling as inevitable or necessarily going on forever, but looking at it in nominal terms is aggressively ignorant. They're the king in the wheat-on-the-chess-board parable.

Here's an article about the seasonal flu comparison. Obviously, this is only for genuinely skeptical people who ask questions in order to get answers, rather than those who float them just to spread doubt and then totally disengage because they've already made up their mind. Some relevant quotes:

Humanity has been contending with seasonal flu for centuries, so scientists have had a long time to study the influenza strains that circulate in the winter months.

This research has led to the development of annual vaccines that protect large swaths of the population from getting the flu and reduce its severity in those who do become infected. In addition, there are medications available that can treat influenza symptoms and sometimes shorten the duration of the illness.

Also, when individuals come down with the flu, their bodies build up immunity. That means not everyone who is exposed to the flu virus gets sick.

But the coronavirus responsible for COVID-19 has been in existence for only about three months, so there is no natural immunity in the population.
Scientists know that influenza is transmitted from person to person by droplets that leave a sick person’s mouth when they cough, sneeze or talk. Those droplets can travel three to six feet and infect anyone in their path.

The coronavirus spreads through droplets as well, researchers say, and it may be capable of airborne transmission too. Airborne viruses, like measles and chickenpox, can drift from person to person in even smaller droplets that can travel on air currents.

"The governor's order will require nearly all workers in the state to work remotely or lose their jobs by closing all workplaces that aren't deemed essential. Restaurants and bars may stay open but only for delivery and curbside pick-up orders."

Hope he explains this a bit more this afternoon. Let's not do a one size fits all approach to this. My job is non-essential yet I don't come into contact with anybody, work alone and am working outdoors. I take pride in my ability to not have contact with people while working because people annoy the blankety-blank out of me when I'm trying to get stuff done. I've had customers for 15 years that I've never even met or seen. It's a perfect working relationship. A single trip to the store puts me in contact with more people than a months worth of work does. Self employed so I can't be fired but I can have my licenses/certifications revoked and the govt. checks wouldn't even begin to cover the refunds I'd have to start dishing out. Hoping I'm exempt but we'll see.

So far I've been very encouraged by the common-sense exceptions for a lot of the rules and edicts. I saw construction works out this morning, which seems to fit what you're talking about a bit.

You ready? You look ready.
Yeah, the road work projects and other construction gigs are out in full force. I ain't never seen this many jobs start up this fast.

If I was a tinfoil hatter it would make me think crazy things. But I just realize it's people picking up work that might have lost work elsewhere and/or people capitalizing on the access to areas that were once populated.

Yeah, and it's a great opportunity to get a lot of that done. Low-risk profession compared to most, way less traffic, etc. Again, tiny silver linings where we can get them.