Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Báječná léta pod psa AKA Wonderful Years That Sucked (Petr Nikolaev, 1997)
6/10
Battle Circus (Richard Brooks, 1953)
+ 5/10
No Me Digas Solterona AKA Don't Tell Me I'm a Spinster (Ani Alva, 2018)
6/10
The Hunt (Craig Zobel, 2020)
- 6.5/10

Betty Gilpin seems to understand what's happening, as much as anyone can.
Full Count (Robert Eagars, 2019)
5.5/10
The Animal People (Denis Henry Hennelly & Casey Suchan, 2019)
6.5/10
Pups United (Guy Distad, 2015)
5/10
I Am Not a Serial Killer (Billy O'Brien, 2016)
- 6.5/10

Neither one of them (Christopher Lloyd & Max Records) is too happy how it turned out.
The Platform (Galder Gaztelu-Urrutia,,2019)
5.5/10
Les coquillettes (Sophie Letourneur, 2012)
+ 5/10
Little Boy (Alejandro Monteverde, 2015)
5.5/10
The Banker (George Nolfi, 2020)
- 6.5/10

Investors Anthony Mackie and Samuel L. Jackson are able to fake out racist Texans in the '60s to own a bank but then the state and Feds come calling.
Teddy Pendergrass: If You Don't Know Me (Olivia Lichtenstein, 2019)
6.5/10
Purple Hearts (Sidney J. Furie 1984)
5.5/10
A Life of Speed: The Juan Manuel Fangio Story (Francisco Macri, 2020)
6.5/10
Emma. (Autumn de Wilde, 2020)
6/10

It takes awhile for class-conscious Emma (Anya Taylor-Joy) to learn her lesson.
Workers (Jose Luis Valle, 2013)
.5.5/10
After Truth: Disinformation and the Cost of Fake News (Andrew Rossi, 2020)
6.5/10
Blow the Man Down (Danielle Krudy & Bridget Savage Cole, 2019)
6/10
Onward (Dan Scanlon, 2020)
- 7/10

Just think of them as Pluto and Mickey.

El Hoyo (The Platform) (2019) Thriller/Mystery/Drama

All the Bright Places (2020) Drama/Romance

I liked it a lot more. For me, it's in top-5 films for 2019.
I don't dislike it totally, I was going to rate it 2/5, which would put it in front of tarantino's, scorsese's and much more of that year. It's not my cup of tea, it was made for effect in a lot of ways, for style, edgy has a mother f%cker, you-known-what-I-mean? If someone told me: it's the greatest movie made in 2019, I'd not even argue, it's made for a specific box. I can see all the good, or new, things in it, was nothing that wasn't already being made more and more for some reason, super intensity in everything: color palette, filming angles, information/dialogue and background music. Some people said this was grindhouse & arthouse. Arthouse? F%cking arthouse? Are you crazy? Because she's a painter? One of the reasons i didn't like this film was because it lacked exactly something artistic being a movie about an artist. If this had 20% of scorsese new york stories short film, i'd like it. Have you said some words about it anywhere?

I don't dislike it totally, I was going to rate it 2/5, which would put it in front of tarantino's, scorsese's and much more of that year. It's not my cup of tea, it was made for effect in a lot of ways, for style, edgy has a mother f%cker, you-known-what-I-mean? If someone told me: it's the greatest movie made in 2019, I'd not even argue, it's made for a specific box. I can see all the good, or new, things in it, was nothing that wasn't already being made more and more for some reason, super intensity in everything: color palette, filming angles, information/dialogue and background music. Some people said this was grindhouse & arthouse. Arthouse? F%cking arthouse? Are you crazy? Because she's a painter? One of the reasons i didn't like this film was because it lacked exactly something artistic being a movie about an artist. If this had 20% of scorsese new york stories short film, i'd like it. Have you said some words about it anywhere?
I wrote a shortie to this thread after seeing it:

Bliss (2019)

I guess the best way to describe Bliss is a tribute to Abel Ferrara's The Addiction with drug-induced imagery of Mandy or Requiem for a Dream. Dezzy is a painter searching for a way out of her creative block. Booze, sex, and drugs soon escalate to blood and violence. A short and quite intensive film with a nice soundtrack. The lead actress is pretty good too.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Sergeant Rutledge - 7/10
Every time I hear of John Ford, I remember Mark telling the younger fans something (paraphrasing) "You guys and your boners for John Ford"... This was an ok movie. I don't like the silliness (drunken judges, the constant two half-wits always arguing with each other, the judge' wife and her... whatever it is).

The Crossing Guard (1995)

Great performances that could have done with a much tighter script. Seems to want meaningfulness over content.

Did like this one. Penn done well holding it all together (and David Morse is excellent) but the dialogue burst at the seams.

Account terminated on request
The Art of Racing in the Rain (2019)
It's got a golden retriever in there.

It's a 10/10 by definition.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

I've often wondered if movies should sometimes have two or more ratings. One if you take {A} into account. One if you take {B} into account. To me it sometimes seems a shame to average a movie to a single value.
You should check out some of the ratings of our very own mark f, who quite often used to include a separate rating (Trash rating, arthouse rating, etc) on a number of his reviews.

The Hunt (2019) - 7/10. I absolutely enjoyed this one. The social/political satire blended with litres of blood and explosionse, was brilliant. Not sure what the objectionable things in the movie were to delay the movie's release. They might have been cut, I am not sure. Recommended!

You should check out some of the ratings of our very own mark f, who quite often used to include a separate rating (Trash rating, arthouse rating, etc) on a number of his reviews.
I'll do that.

I often get stuck with this issue with Tarantino films. For instance, if you can live with crazy bouts of over-the-top violence, it's a 9.5/10; that kind of thing.

Also with nearly all Cohen movies I feel stuck when people say "Hey, is it any good?". I can't tell you how many times I've heard (and said), "You're going to love this one if you like cohen films".

The Invisible Man (2019) - 6.8/10. For a February release, this was pretty good. The suspense was tight. Barring a one or two plot holes, the movie made sense. Good stuff.

I'll do that.

I often get stuck with this issue with Tarantino films. For instance, if you can live with crazy bouts of over-the-top violence, it's a 9.5/10; that kind of thing.

Also with nearly all Cohen movies I feel stuck when people say "Hey, is it any good?". I can't tell you how many times I've heard (and said), "You're going to love this one if you like cohen films".
That's true with all 'auteur director' films. One could have a personal rating and an auteur rating.

The Crossing Guard (1995)

Great performances that could have done with a much tighter script. Seems to want meaningfulness over content.

Did like this one. Penn done well holding it all together (and David Morse is excellent) but the dialogue burst at the seams.

Interesting. I didn't see the dialog being a problem with this one at all. I found it emotionally exhausting, so I wouldn't watch it again, but

WARNING: "Ț̴͎̞̻̅̑́̽̑̓̓̇̍̎̐̇̆̅͑͗̅͗̌̌́̓́̇̆̂̄͠͠ͅh̸̨̛̞̱͎̗͔͉̭̪̐̀̏͛̈́̄͌͂̈́̇͂͛̎̔͘̚͝͝ę̶̢̦̯͙̦͓͔͈͖̦̫͆̔͋͒̆̎̑̀͒̂̊̌͆̊̉̐̉͆͋̓́̇̈̂̓͌̈́͘͠ ̷̯̤̼̻́̈́̀̈́̔ͅç̴̲̱̮̩̬̞̙̤̼̘̺̮̘͓̈͛͊̃͐́̾̿̈́ͅr̴̛̥͑̊̈́̓͛̂͐̀̾͐̔̇̋̿̎̈́̚ͅo̸͇͇̤͉̘̬͇̮̿̐̓̿̆̏̒́̄̄̅͌̈́͘̚͝s̶̡̢̪̦͖̞̼͙͉̩̪̭̺̝͍̝̼̺̬͚̮̼͕̖̙̳̻͈̑͒̀̑͊͊̅̋̓̈́̅̉͌̔̔̚͘͝͝š̶̛͇̣͔͖̪̙̩̿̀̈̑̌̀̈́̀̀͘̚i̸̲͙̹̞̝̖̔̆̎̒̏̾̒̔̓̽͛̎̚͝n̸̨̡̨̙͍͍͔̫͓̱̪͖̩̲͓͖͖̻͉͉̘̱̹̔̉̈́̽́̈́̔̒̂͗̽͆͑͒͋̒͊͋̅͌̌̒̄͗̔͘̚͝͠ͅg̴̡̛̛̞̺̠̪̠̥͓̐̿̅̽̓̾́ ̸̧̨̢̡̛͈͚͓͇͕̣͍̻̩̮̻̱̦͉͕̗͒̀́̊̽̌́̓̀͊̒̽͆͂̏͆͗̽͌̒̍̂͆̅̅̒͜͝ͅͅg̴̨̨̛̰̟̺̼͙͙̲̤̭͔̞̥͍̜̈́̈́̌ͅų̵̡̧̡͕͕̘̰̥̯̆̕ǎ̴̢̛̛̘̯̜̝͔̤̩͈͔͇͎̟̋̆̉̃̌̔͛̓̅̒̄̆͆͌̊̉̉̎̑̆͐̈́͝͝r̷̛͉̳̗͈̄̇̐͛̔͑̇̈̂͗̆̿̑̒̒̈́̅̌̉̅͋̎͘d̸̤͓͎̰̈́̎́̿ͅ ̷̢̧̨̗͖̫͓̬͚̼̠̰̮̥̺̘̖͇̩̬̩̗̦̫̘̜͇̈́̈̓̑͗̐̋͂̉̾͛̇̊̂͑͌̍̾́̽̅̈́͌̈͘̕͜͝͝s̵̗͔̈͑̈́̀̉̓̿̈͊͒͛́̆̉̋̅̋͊͗̑̉̋͗͒̑̕̚͝p̸̘̙͎̝̼̖͖̘̹̭͇̞̭̞̞͍̩͔̟̘̺̦̲̫̖̱̪̳͛͋̏́̋̈͆̅̀̆̄͒̒̀̀̔̀̑͐̌͒̎͝͝͝ŏ̸̪̊͐͂̀̂̔̿̌͛̿͋̋͠͠ì̸̧̥͔͈̻̝͔̯̭͙͈̮̼͛͒̊̉̊̿̐̕͠͠ͅl̴̡̺͕̮̪̬̱͎̭̬̫̦̱͖̈́͋̒̒͛͒̏͆́͛́͗͒̇̑̑͗͛́̿́̿̍͜ͅḛ̸̲̞͎͖͕́̄̐̓͋̏͊͌̀̄̔̍̓͝r̷͔͌̀́̏̀̓͑̈̉̕,̶̢̻̺̠̘̱͇̞͙̣͎͈̜̤́͊̄́͑̋ ̷̧̡̛̦̟͚̜̟͉̩̥̪̙̬̠̺̯͎̣̖̞̙́̀̈́̉̀̾͆̄̓̏̐̄͘̚͝ş̶̢̛̛͕͚͈̟̣͉͒̆̈̀͆̃̂͐̈̀̊͂̋̍̂́̒̆̅̚͠ǫ̷̛̞̪̞̦̼̤̭̬͉̈́̾͑͌̒̉̄̾̇̄̊̎̓͂̕͝ ̷̡̼͉̳͉̳̘̳͕̗̼̹̫̖̘̱͇̖̠̲̯̞̝̰͗̈́̽́̋͗̈͑̔̂̄̐̑̀̌͐̒̆́̉͂͒͝͝d̶̡̲͎͖͇͔̠̤͈̋̏͂̿̔̽̽͛̒̃̈́͐͆̈́̈́͝͝͝ô̴̟̬͉͋n̷̢̢̧̢̯̬͔̺̠̲̖͎͚͕͖̗͙̠̟̺͚̮͇͂̈̀͊̓̿͗̅̉̅͐̈́̓́̚͘͘͝͝͝ͅ'̸̨̧̡̛̜͉̯̻̫̳͓̰̥̥̹̱̞̫͂̈́̾̑̂̐́͐̈́̊͒̽́̒͂́͑̿̄̑̊̿̑͒̚͜͝͝t̷̤͊̍̌͗́̇̍̀̈́͗̽̉̏̌́͂́̀̊́̚̚͠͝ ̴̡̧̨̧̨̟̘͎͇̳̦̫̻̉̃͆̿̍͂́͋͑̍̐̀͘͝ͅc̵̢͔̭͕̟̩̹̜͙̤͙̩̫̻͙̫̜̰͐̾̃̈́͛̈̽̂͑̀̇̽̀͂̃̆̿̓̇́͋̌̀̅̕̕͜ͅļ̶̛̠̗̝̰̼̣̤̩͖̫̤̭̽̅̄͊̈́́̎̌̊̑̂͗̏͌̋̐̀͛͆͘̚͝͠i̶̢̙͈̝̤̬̯̤̱̗̇̽̂͝͝ç̷̛̹̱͓̘͓͚̫͈̖̞͖͙͕̝̥̪̙̼̦͖̟̺̳̀́̂̈́͛̈́̑̈͒̒́͂͆͘͠͝͠ͅͅķ̵̢̛̥͔̤͇̬̥̻̮̘̞̱̻͉͍̳̘̘͉̙̺̞̽̅́̌͆́̅͋̓̾̏͋̔̌͝͠ ̵̛̙̯͎̂͗̾̅́̒̀̅̓̐̀̔͋͂̈́̇̾̏̿̇̂̅̈͘̚̕h̸̠̠̗̦͖̞̯̥̻̲͇͍̊̋̉̂́̓̀̒̀̓͌̿̉̐̀̄ě̸̖͔͊͊r̸̛̪̼͓̙͙͕̈́̒̔̈́̈́̋͗͗̾͗͝e̵̡̥̹̲̠͚̖͕̟͐͒̂́̈́͂̂͠͠͠,̷̦̘͖͚̞͇͍̙̰̼̲̳̗͔̜̓͊̓͋̏̉́͛͊͒̿͒͘͝͝͠͝͠ ̶̢̢̜̲͚̤̭͎̳̪̖̼͌͛̅̿̆̊͊͗̕̚ͅ'̵̛̙̦̺̘͖̩̜̣͈͐̀̈́͒̌͐̽̔̃̎̉̊̋̔͒̈́̓̒̂͒̕̕͠c̸̡̧̡͚̲͖͙̗͖̬̰̲̖̩͈̬̪̻̺͎̙̥̩͓̩͎͓̉̏̎á̷̛͓̅̌̄̈́̇̂̊̑̅̈́͊̎͋̑̈́͊̈̇͋͆̋͗͌́ù̴̥̯̣̱͚̫͂̆͜͝ṡ̵̨̡̲̺͓͉̞̐̽̑̅͐ĕ̴̻͓͎͈̲͂̔̀̿͊͊̀ ̷̛͓̔̇̈́̐̽̋̅̀͆̂̓̃̾̊̇̎̋̋̈̍͠͠͝t̴̢̧̡̡̯͔͙̥̲͇̱̜͕̼͙̞̰̮͓̱̦͎̱̬̦͈̰͎͕̓̔͐͊̅̓́͗͒̾̃̀̎̀̿ḥ̶̨̢̬̟̼̩͖̞̫̠̻͎̖͔̇͑̽̏̈́̏͊ͅͅa̸͔̲̳̻̥͕̳͍̻̺̠̻͌̏̅̈̄̀̀͛̀̌̀̂͊̆̕̕t̵̨̜̗̪̗̭̰͋̀̐̽̿̄̅͛̃̈́̾̿͂͒͊̅̅͘̕̚̚'̵̧̼͉̞̪̪͔̺̩̤͕̙̻͉̰̠͉͚̲͖̍͒͋́̆̐͊͌̈́͛́̅͋̐̿͆̓̒͐̇͆̾̽̔̑̔s̴̱̝̝̻̱̻̪͎̞̍̊̽͐̋̑͂̽̑̏̏̇͒̍̋͒͑̚̕̕ ̶̧̡̨̡̛̹̤͔̰̹͙̹̹͕̟̟̹̩̦̺͉̏̄̅̓́͌͘͜͝ͅw̷̢̨̛͍͎̝̙̣̝͖͉͙̮͔͚̯̩̬͚͈̻͇̦̯̪̝̐̃̇̋̊̍͑̀̈́͌́̍̈h̶̡̨̝̣̞̞̹̳̭͙̗͍̟̦̫͇̙͓̜̼̠̣̠̻̏͂͒͗͋̉͜͠ͅå̶̢̓̈́̽͊̎͑̿͆̽͠͝t̸̠̥͓͇͂̓͒͐̃̓͛̇̕̕͘͜͠ ̴̧̨̢̭̞̰̳̞͖̮̼̠̖͔̮͙̥̖̞̪̝̘͙̂͜ͅͅį̵̣̺͍̗̬͓͕̳̣̠͈̭̲̞̪̙̐͒͊̑͘t̵̮̼͚̳͈͖̱̣͓̠̐͛͌͑̉͌͠ ̵̢̨̨͖͍̝͔̼͕̙̞̙̻̻͈͓͍͖̞̻͔̰̾͆̔̊̔̽̒̇́͛͛̉̾̋͗̕͜͝m̷̧̡͔̺̪͈̩̫̣̙͇̹̟̗̙̝͍̞͓̲̘̺͎̻̂̈́̒̅̽̇ͅͅe̴͈̱͚̬̹̐̑̐̆̆͐̑̾̆͘͝à̷̖̬̦̲̥͕͂̄̈́̉̈̎̊́̆͗͜͜n̵͓̱̰̲̳͉̮̊̀̂͝ͅs̷̨̧̨̳̰̫͉̘̬͍͎̲̳̰̼͆͑͗̊̍̑̽̀̍̀̾̚͘͝ ̵̢̧̗̥̜͇͙̑͋̽̓͆͑̑͗̅́̕͜͝ͅͅẃ̵̡̢̛̹̺̹̝̰̝͍̩͉͙̩̐̈́͋͗̽͌͆̀̀̓̚͝͝͠͠h̵͙̜̫̳̣͍͓̲̊̒͆̂̽̀̐̐̌̌é̵͉̲̹̤̼͖́͂̎̃͂̋̂̈́̈̕͠͠͝n̸̛̼̮̺̪̗͙̤̩̈́̋̾̓̉̀͑ͅ ̶̧̖̜͙̭͈͎̝̩̞̱͖̗̺̟̙̰̣̲̭̝̗̤̣̫̻͇͐͜ş̸̧̨̢̡̛̦̪͍̳͓̺̬͕̻̫͇͙͓̝̳̤̤͓̻̙̾̑͌͋̋̋͗̐͗̾̀̊͗͘̕̕͘͜͠͝͝ǫ̴̙̼͍̫̖̣̖̥͓̺̱͖̘̜̣̘̪̥̼̳̰̫͍̺̺͆̾́͝m̸̢̨̧̢͍̜̺̫̥̣̲̩͍͊͌̈́̆̀͗̌̀̽̈̋͒̊̑̀̕ͅē̶̛͔̜̫̬̣͍̜̦̗̻̗̥͇̝͓̤̟̟̭̮̆̇̽̀̅̑̈́͋̓͐̾̂͌́̿́̕͜͜͝ͅt̸̢̨̘̠̦͙͓̫̠̳̳̣̺̥̖̥̹͚̰̜̥̣͚̲̩̦̒̏͜ḫ̴̨̧̛̫̗̭̙̪̝͉̣̠̟͎̘͎͚̣͕̽̏́́̆̂̋̂͗̿́͑͌͠͠į̸̛̞͍̥͎̯̫̙̖͙͓̺̩͖̖̭̝̞͖̙̝͇̆͂̊̿̋̊͆̎̌̀͘͘͝n̶̢̢̡͉͚̘͙͓̞̰͇͍͇̝̺̺̞͛͌̒̌̇̇̇͋̾͊̈́͑̾̋̈́͒̀͗̉̇̐̓ģ̸̢̬̮̞̠͚̪̹̘̭̝̣̻̭͇͈͕̽̒̃͂̈́̀̏̓͋̑͐̏͒͆͂͌̀̎͝͝͝͝ ̵̡̢̗̺̠̗̥͉̖͙͂͛̏̊͗̈́̄̇̑̈́̈́̑̿̍̓̍̏͗͑̒̔̚̚͝͝͝͠s̴̛͓̈́͆̀̋͐̽́̉̌̚͝ả̸̢͚̤̩̱͙͙̫̝͎̩̩͙͇̺̣͇̞͕̙̅̅͆͑̑̾̈́̿̾̆̓̀͗̎͑͑͂̚ý̶̧̧̡̡͎̮͉͔͇̲͎̱͈̦̿͌̒͒̇̿̿͛̿͛̄̏͋̀̑͘͘͠s̴̨̢̼̳̮̥̱͙̎̍̏͋̀͊̚" spoilers below
I do think back to that final scene at the grave often. What a perfect ending.

That's true with all 'auteur director' films. One could have a personal rating and an auteur rating.
Probably how it works out in practice. Though there's really nothing stopping someone who employs the Auteur Theory from creating more conveyor belt films if he wanted to.

Dont know how this came in for so much criticism ... also was trying to see how the main character was more like a modern boy than one from 1917.. whoever said that maybe watched another movie from the one that I watched... my advice watch it again and get a grip, he doesn't come across that way in the least, in fact the opposite (odd criticism is all I can say) loved the music, the attention to detail, thought the end was stunning in particular.

Klaus

Delightful and humourous animated movie retelling the story of santa unlike you've heard it before .. I enjoyed this way more than Missing Link this is definitely one the parents will enjoy as well as the kids

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The Night Clerk (2020)

An effective thriller that does what it says on the tin. Great pacing (even the CCTV scenes). Tye Sheridan is fantastic but it lacks an "oomph".

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid - 1969

Not quite what I was expecting after watching some other Westerns from this time period. You can tell why Newman and Redford were such big stars. Their charisma oozes out of the scenes in this movie, especially Newman.

It's crazy you watch all these old westerns and old movies from this time and you expected them to have a certain feel to them. This movie is unique because it almost feels like a modern movie with how the script was written, it was acted and how it was shot. Minus a few shots in the film it feels like it could have came out yesterday. It was written with a lot of comedy placed in it. I smiled many times during the flick. Newman is so damn likable. Also it's eerie how much young Redford looks, moves and talks like Brad Pitt. It was a weird experience watching it expecting something else.

The story itself could have maybe used some better pacing. It's a fascinating story but about the pace felt off to me I don't know. It's a great flick but again I feel like it could be improve upon with the right people remaking it. But it certainly had to have been a shock for audiences at the time. Almost like looking into the future.

I'd give it 3.7 out of 5.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Welcome to the human race...
Under the Silver Lake -

does for film noir what Southland Tales did for sci-fi

Love Letter (1995) - 6/10. A hammy romantic movie. The complete movie is set in the winter snow and it's delightful. The movie is slow paced and doesn't grab you. For what it's worth, the lead actress is to die for. Delish!