The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I choose, Eyes Wide Shut (1999) for Miss Vicky, not to make her suffer, but I had read the Parents Guide Content Advisary before and remembered it was all about naked bodies, sex and orgies!... not my thing but I know she likes that, so even though it was directed by Kubrick I hoped the sex stuff would win her over.
I was kidding about the suffering thing.
It was a risky choice that didn't pay off. It happens. If nothing else me having to watch it gave some other people a few laughs.

Bambi was my pick for you, btw.
In getting an animation heavy recommendation so far. Was Perfect blue was selected by you for me?

In getting an animation heavy recommendation so far. Was Perfect blue was selected by you for me?
I hope you like it.
Perfect Blue is amazing as I mentioned in my Paprika review.

Roland, actually played himself in the film.
That makes sense since he was pretty much the leader of the breakout. He also did most of the heavy lifting and came up with all the nifty little tools.

The Mission. Saw that when I was in 8th grade. My Ma worked at a Jesuit High School and there was a private screening for the all the Jesuits from the HS and University and she was invited to go see it. Unfortunately, she dragged me along. I thought I was being punished for something. I'd probably like it if I watched it now but that memory is pretty tough to get over.

The trick is not minding
I hope you like it.
Haven’t watched it yet. Going to swing to the local rental and pick it up for the weekend

I choose Galaxy Quest (1999) for John-Connor and he guessed it right! The reason was I seen he had a lot of fun-action type movies in his Top 10 profile so I thought this one seemed to suit his taste.....I just looked and he doesn't have any Top 10 profile movies, did I dream that? or did he delete them?
By Grabthar's Hammer, I knew it, hah!
Well played CR, great choice!

My profile favs are under construction atm.

Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven, 1997)
Imdb

Date Watched: 03/19/2020
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame, I think it may have been nominated by John-Connor
Rewatch: No.

Although this is not a movie that I think I ever would have chosen on my own, I can understand why someone would pick this for me. With films like Army of Darkness, The Fifth Element, and Verhoeven's own cheese-fest Showgirls in my top 100, it makes sense that someone would think that I'd like this as well.

Unfortunately it didn't quite hit the mark, though it gave one hell of a shot at it. Almost all of the necessary elements are there - the ridiculous premise, the over-the-top acting, the ridiculous effects - but it lacks a certain something: It lacks a memorable central character and it lacks memorable lines. There's no equivalent to Bruce Campbell's Ash or to Bruce Willis's Korben Dallas (or Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod). And while Showgirls doesn't have the most interesting characters, there's something inherently amusing about people trying and failing to be sexy and it does at least have stupidly quotable lines like "everybody's got AIDS and sh**." All that said, I do understand that this is intended to be satire but the humor just didn't land for me and I appreciated the effort but was ultimately a bit underwhelmed by it.

+

The Mission seemed like such an out of the blue nomination, but apparently it was a very good one.

I didn't care for Starship Troopers but it was many years ago and only 1 time.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Directed by Daniel Myrick, Eduardo Sánchez

Sticks and stones...The movie that introduced found footage movie making to millions of people. I would have been fine going my entire life without seeing this so it is with great joy that I am able to say "huh, that wasn't too bad."

A group of students go to the woods of Maryland to make a documentary about the Blair Witch. On their way to the woods they stop in the local town where they interview a few people and we get the backstory of the urban legend. After that it's off to find the Witch.

Most of the movie is the three wandering lost in the woods and arguing. Every now and again they come across something spooky - usually a bundle of sticks or a pile of rocks. There really isn't anything terribly scary happening. It's at night where things get a little sketchy in a "did you hear that?" way. Their desperation is what creates most of the tension so the more desperate the become the more the tension ramps up. It builds up nicely and never takes a step backwards. It all leads to a finale at a deserted house, the cabin in the woods, where everything finally breaks.

I always thought this was a horror film for people who don't like horror films and I still think that, but it's good. No fx, no gore at all but I knew that going in so was prepared. One real positive - the camera work wasn't nearly as herky-jerky as I expected. I remember reading about people getting sick in theaters when this was released and it wasn't that bad. The characters are just interesting enough to not be boring and I enjoyed all the arguing (it was like Twitter on film). Will take a spot next four other movies on my found footage top ten list.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Parasite (2019)

I've had this DVD at home from Netflix but was waiting to see if someone picked it for me. With it being a recent movie, and the fact that it's something that would appeal to me, I thought it was the movie most likely to be chosen for me.

For Asian classics, I mostly go for Japanese, but for modern times, nothing beats South Korea. They're churning out great movies left and right, and director Bong Joon Ho is a big part of that. I had previously seen his Mother, Memories of Murder, and The Host, all good movies and I also get to see his Snowpiercer in this HoF.

I was under the impression that this movie was a bit unpredictable so I didn't watch any trailers or read any reviews. I knew nothing about it, but with what I've seen out of S. Korea, I knew I'd be watching something unique. The biggest surprise turned out to be how much I laughed. I rarely find foreign films funny and I can at least say this was the funniest Asian film I've seen. It's a dark humor and it works perfectly. I won't say anything about the narrative because I shouldn't. It is expertly made and acted. It's the kind of movie that I think would normally get an American remake. I hope it doesn't and it may not since it became so popular over here.

It's not quite my favorite movie of 2019, no slight because I think 2019 was a great year for movies, but it is a great movie and I have no beef with it winning the best picture Oscar. I enjoyed it immensely and so did my wife.

So who nominated Parasite for me?
Watched it last night! Except for the fact that I don't consider 2019 a great year for movies, we agree on pretty much everything, I think

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...29#post2074929

Things to Come (1936)

A very interesting piece of history. I always find it curious to see the predictions of people who lived before us. Most of the times, they underrate humans capacity of progress which I think is an amazing sign.
This was done in 1936. The memory of the First World War was still fresh in people's minds and Hitler was at this time rising to power, communicating a very dangerous message, that few knew how to listen. Maybe H.G. Wells was one of those men. The precision with which he predicted World War II is almost spooky. And it's understandable that he feared that a world wide conflict would take 25 years to overcome and would send the humanity into a negative spiral right to the Dark Ages, killing half of the world's population in the process. It's easy to think the same now with a World War III.
Luckily, it didn't happen like that. And luckily, Science and Rationality prevailed for the most part, and we sent our first manned "bullet" to the moon waaay before 2036, which only shows how amazing was that feit at the time it was done.

Sadly, I don't think the film isn't worth much beside the historical importance of it. There are not real characters, only vessels who are used to communicate the director's message and the acting is incredibly stiff, even considering the time on which this was done. The dialogues also seem too paternalistic and poorly written.

Nevertheless, it's still worth a watch if you're into future predictions.

-

My guess: I'd say, Citizen?

Yes there is. The original theatrical version runs at 2:20 minutes
Do you know where I can find it? I can only seem to find the 2h51 version!

Do you know where I can find it? I can only seem to find the 2h51 version!
Can't find it, I think it never existed, I'd watch the 2h51 version, didn't feel that long when I saw it last.

The Mission seemed like such an out of the blue nomination, but apparently it was a very good one.

I didn't care for Starship Troopers but it was many years ago and only 1 time.

The movie is actually second to me to the score...Ennio Morricone for the win.

He lost the Oscar to Herbie Hancock which looks horrible 30 years later.

The movie is actually second to me to the score...Ennio Morricone for the win.

He lost the Oscar to Herbie Hancock which looks horrible 30 years later.
Morricone was robbed an Oscar everytime he composed a soundtrack. Change my mind.

Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven, 1997)
Imdb

+
I'm a big fan of that movie, I like it for the crazy over the top action and I like it for it's tricky reverse message and the way it uses propaganda...oh and Doogie Howser as a SS medical officer! That's always funny to me.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)
Directed by Daniel Myrick, Eduardo Sánchez

Sticks and stones...The movie that introduced found footage movie making to millions of people....I always thought this was a horror film for people who don't like horror films and I still think that, but it's good. No fx, no gore at all but I knew that going in so was prepared.
I hate horror-gore, but I was blown away by The Blair With Project. It scared me! So much that when I watched it one late summer evening and then went into the bathroom to take a leak, the window was open and I live in the woods...I swear the first thing I did was shut that damn window and pull down the curtains!

Things to Come (1936)

A very interesting piece of history. I always find it curious to see the predictions of people who lived before us. Most of the times, they underrate humans capacity of progress which I think is an amazing sign.
This was done in 1936. The memory of the First World War was still fresh in people's minds and Hitler was at this time rising to power, communicating a very dangerous message, that few knew how to listen. Maybe H.G. Wells was one of those men. The precision with which he predicted World War II is almost spooky. And it's understandable that he feared that a world wide conflict would take 25 years to overcome and would send the humanity into a negative spiral right to the Dark Ages, killing half of the world's population in the process. It's easy to think the same now with a World War III.
-
My guess: I'd say, Citizen?
I so agree with your analogy of the film. I also believe it was meant as a warning to humanity about the rising dangers of fascism. I reviewed here: Things to Come
I liked it a bit more than you, but nope not my choice for you