Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Offence - 7.5/10
Probably the first time I can say I loved the editing. I'll say no more and let you watch this.. I wish I hadn't been interrupted in the middle of it.

The Snorkel (1958, Guy Green)

Wonderful little gem of a thriller from Hammer. Cool concept, great ending, Peter Van Eyck as the baddie - short, sweet and to the point. Yes, the plot is a little too straightforward and the girl really does get annoying after a while, but it didn't stop me from enjoying this little flick in the slightest.
Loved it!

Animal (2014)

Quite typical monster horror. Rips off Dog Soldiers quite a bit. Has pretty bad pacing issues (it's a common issue with horror, to be honest). At least the monsters weren't CGI. Just barely above bad still.

Fear and Desire (1953)

My first time seeing this. Stanley Kubrick's first feature film. Made with a crew of 15 including himself and 5 actors, it's alleged that he was so displeased with it following its low key release that he destroyed the original negative and any prints that he was aware of.

A story of four soldiers trapped in a forest behind enemy lines in a fictitious, dystopian style conflict, and their efforts to return to friendly territory via the river, whilst confronting a seemingly inevitable onset of paranoia and madness. I can't help but see some similarity with Apocalypse Now.

Have to say the script was absolutely terrible as was the majority of the acting. A lot of the editing seemed rough or experimental. The photography on the other hand in many instances was brilliant. Plenty of classic Kubrick visual elements throughout. It's an extremely raw, unpolished, mistake-laden glimpse into the then 25 year old's developing style. Fascinating for anyone interested in the technical aspects of movie making and observing and evaluating what worked and what didn't. Great for film students and Kubrick enthusiasts.

4/10
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	fear and desire.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	61556  

Account terminated on request
WARNING: "Life" spoilers below
Are these guys the dumbest scientists in history or what? Effectively: "Huh. There's a life form here that we've never seen before. Let's zap it with electricity." Good grief.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Legend in my own mind

Braveheart (1995)

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Angel Face - 5/10
90% of noirs are all the same. I should have done more research, but I like going into a movie knowing as little as possible. I thought Robert Mitchum + Otto Preminger might = something good. Wrong.

Semi-Pro (2008)

One of the few Will Ferrell movies I enjoy. Maybe it's because of the supporting cast (the broadcasting duo of Andy Daly and Will Arnett is gold), or maybe because the subject matter is a sport that I love. Either way, the one-liners and gags all seem to work well for me.

Jojo Rabbit

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Bubble (Steven Soderbergh, 2005)
5/10
Miracle at Midnight (Ken Cameron 1998)
6/10
Johnny Cash and the Ostrich (Al Campbell, 2018)
6.5/10
A Sun-Tribe Myth from the Bakumatsu Era (Yûzô Kawashima, 1957)
- 7/10

The prostitutes aren't buting that this is a dead guy.
Zero Charisma (Katie Graham & Andrew Matthews, 2013)
5.5/10
The Frame (Jamin Winans, 2014)
5/10
Ben & Ara (Nnegest Likké, 2015)
6/10
Danger Close (Kriv Stenders, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

On a Long Tan plantation during the Vietnam War, a group of Australians and New Zealanders face a massive foe.
Daisy Winters (Beth LaMure, 2017)
6/10
Second Time Around (Dora García, 2018)
+.5/10
Dean (Demetri Martin,2016)
6/10
Admiral AKA Michiel de Ruyter (Roel Reiné, 2015)
- 6.5/10

In the 17th century, the Netherlands, under the command of Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, takes on England, France, and Germany.
The Cool Kids (Jamall J Robinson, 2016)
5/10
Go Karts (Owen Trevor, 2020)
6/10
The Rainbow (Zak Knutson, 2019)
6.5/10
Drive Angry (Patrick Lussier, 2011)
6/10

... from hell, angry.
The Merry Maids of Madness (Phillip Hughes, 2016)
6.5/10
Search Party (Scot Armstrong, 2014)
.5.5/10
Homecoming (Mervyn LeRoy, 1948)
5/10
Venom and Eternity (Jean Isidore Isou, 1951)
6/10

Avant-garde ftlm essay you'll probably either love or hate.

Admiral AKA Michiel de Ruyter (Roel Reiné, 2015)
- 6.5/10

In the 17th century, the Netherlands, under the command of Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, takes on England, France, and Germany.
This looks potentially interesting. Watchlisted

Angel Face - 5/10
90% of noirs are all the same. I should have done more research, but I like going into a movie knowing as little as possible. I thought Robert Mitchum + Otto Preminger might = something good. Wrong.
I really liked the film and most of the story. But it had one of the worst endings I've ever seen in a noir...

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Parasite (2019)

So, I finally watched this. I didn't know a thing about it, and even if I did it would still take me by surprise.

The first act plays like a typical european comedy, clever characters doing wrong things for morally debatable reasons. We can see every member of that family, particularly the kids, is immensily talented, they just can't put their intelligence for a good use. So, they go on this series of tricks that are apparently harmless but that grow gradually more serious, without the film ever losing the light hearted energy that had since the very beggining and, more important than that, its honesty. And that gives it charm and comfort, because you're pretty much sure how will everything turn out.

Well, Bong Joon Ho has a few surprises up his sleeve. The films suddenly turns into a thriller with moments of true horror gaining speed and unpredictability with every twist and turn until it reaches its climax.

Now, here the film had already bought me. If it had finished here, it would still be the best film of the year by a landslide (the poor quality of its competition also helps). But the final 5 minutes are one of the most touching and brilliant finales I've seen in a long time. The weight of all the decisions these characters made and the love they have for each other sink in all at once, leaving me teary eyed and with that feeling I just witnessed greatness.

Hats off to you Mr. Bong

+

Knives Out - 2019

So I saw this back in January I think. I had just broken up with my GF, day drank all day, decided to go see this flick on my own the town over where it was playing (ubered) and had a flask with me in the theater haha. So I wasn't in the greatest frame of mind for this movie. I wanted to finish it but the drinking took a toll on me and I passed out towards the end of the movie. Anyways I finished it online a couple days later.

I say all that to say this: Although I wasn't in the greatest frame of mind I really enjoyed the movie. Rain Johnson is a really talented filmmaker, who should stay away from Star Wars or any franchise for that matter ha. Brick and especially Looper were really freaking cool movies. He is at his best with a blank canvas and his own ideas, Star Wars has too much history for his own radical ideas (I think Star Wars is overrated myself anyways). This movie keeps you engaged and entertains the hell out of you with all the different characters.

I am so happy Ana De Armas got to shine in a role like this. She was so awesome in Blade Runner and has a really cool personality plus she is drop dead gorgeous. Her and Daniel Craig were the stand outs. At first you think Craig's accent and performance sort of feels over board, but about an adjustment it just works ha. No clue why, but it just fits, maybe it's just his absolute commitment to it The video down below helps explain better than me why this movie separates itself from the pack of murder mystery movies.

I'd give it 3.8 out of 5

(Side not I just looked an Ana is dating Affleck. Damn it.)

(Also probably wouldn't watch this without seeing it, spoilers in the video)

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970, Joseph Sargent)

A very thought-provoking but not particularly convincing cross between a Cold War paranoia drenched thriller and a technology-run-amok sci-fi dystopia.The premise (supercomputer taking control of the world) was pretty interesting, and the ending fittingly ominous in its pessimism but the rest of the movie failed to live up to the promise of its super intriguing opening sequence. I just had a hard time buying into the whole scenario the way it unfolded in the movie - it felt too farfetched.