The Western III Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

McCabe & Mrs. Miller

John McCabe: If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass so much, follow me?

For whatever insane reason, it has been far, FAR too long before I have finally sat down and watched this film.
In fact, regarding that reason, there was even an unfounded trepidation on how it was going to go. Which is kinda silly since my very first Altman film, M*A*S*H when I was but pre-teen, is a huge favorite of mine and a great introduction into the styling of Robert Altman. Seeing many of those aspects in other films as well as this one.
Such as the opening scene in the bar as everyone is talking over everyone else, put me right at home, thinking of the first scene at the mess hall in M*A*S*H as introductions were being made and throughout that film and some of this.
This style of Altman's also features more focus on incidents than a specific story line. Which could cause some confusion at times, like the above line I quoted. Causing you take a moment before truly "getting" things as they play out.
Not a negative, merely a FYI for a first timer, like myself for this film. Or even for an Altman film in general. Much like remarking how a secondary (or more) viewing(s) is an enjoyable necessity. One I'll be doing somewhere in the future with this film.

The location shooting of this was truly ideal and put to excellent use. Even the initial darken interior of the bar of McCabe's arrival into town, to the final ending in the snow, there is some very gorgeous and well done scenes in this film. In fact, the building of the town was actually incorporated into the film and that brings a nice layer to the overall cinematic experience.

Also, I thoroughly enjoyed Warren Beatty's equal measure of confidence and awkwardness of a man looking to make a profit without actual business knowledge of how to get it done. That assistance comes in the strong, independent Mrs. Miller played very well by Julie Christie.
I must say, I do enjoy the roles of women in the few Altman films I have seen. They are not incomplete or dependent on their male counterparts but are complete on their own. And Christie's Mrs. Miller is very much one of those women.

Also, in regards to instances, I really enjoyed the naive, affable Cowboy (Keith Carradine). A sad, but great little side story and that final scene of him on the bridge was filmed with just the right amount of tragic tension.

So, another great unseen gem for this fan of Westerns -- f@ckin YAY

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
McCabe & Mrs. Miller

It's my first Altman so I didn't know what to expect, and though it took me a while to understand what was going on it ended up a very pleasant surprise!

It's quite an unconventional western! It doesn't focus so much on the plot, but tries to paint a painting with moods, just peeking into the lives of the people portrayed here. And it succeeds amazingly at that. The man dancing on ice, the hooker using a vacuum cleaner, the snow, the furs and the atmosphere at the bar, all tied up with the amazing and somehow not surprinsigly perfectly chosen soundtrack by Leonard Cohen - it's like this movie was the natural habitat for that music. Everything here is beautifully ugly and rough, in a way only westerns can be. In that sense, McGabe and Mrs. Miller might be the ultimate western.

+

Bone Tomahawk

I didn't know what this was about before watching, so it came as a surprise this was a western themed horror film. It's pretty good at what it's trying to do, doesn't try to be anything else, and I can respect that. I just wish it didn't take so long to develop. We are let with a very solid last act, filled with tension and gore but the film could have gotten here faster.
Solid perfomances by the whole cast, with the obvious prominence of Kurt Russel [edited]
Nice film!

-

The trick is not minding
Red River

It has been said that John Ford remarked after seeing this film, starring John Wayne as Tom Dunson, that he never knew Wayne could act. It’s a sentiment many here probably share. To be sure, Wayne could be limited, but maybe it was more of a testament towards Howard Hawks as a director? Or maybe he recognized he needed to step up his acting since Montgomery Clift, as his adopted son Matt Garth, was so good in this?
Whatever the case, this is a real standout for Wayne.
The story is bare bones, really. A cattle herd of 10, 000 “beef” need to be brought to Missouri, traveling 1.000 miles to do so. Along the way, they risk Border gangs and Indian attacks.
But the the real focus is on the tension that developed between father and adopted son. Dunson becomes fanatical about completing the drive, willing to whip or punish any who quit. Garth finally leads a revolt against which leads to a confrontation.
The acting is great between the two, as is Walter Brennan as Groot and John Ireland as Cherry Valance.
It’s the interaction between these characters that drives the film. In Dunson I see shades of Bogart in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Aguirre, Fitcarraldo, and Captain Bligh.
This isn’t as good a film as I’d like it to be, unfortunately. It’s overlong, introduces a woman that isn’t necessary who in turn has some badly written scenes, and it has a sudden and abrupt ending that we all have discussed already. For me the ending works, somewhat. I can’t buy Dunson suddenly not caring about his vengeance.
But to watch the characters almost makes up for those flaws. Almost. A fine selection, but caught up in overdevelopment with Dunston, as if it wants us to feel sympathy for him.
Second time viewing it.

@Citizen Rules, @ahwell, @John-Connor, @neiba, @Wyldesyde19, @Zotis, @Siddon

I realized I never actually put an official Deadline to this.
Now, if I went with the usual, one week per nomination it would be April 10, but I'm in no rush and instead of cracking the whip on us slow doggies, I'm thinking just before the deadline for the Westerns Countdown for putting Lists; making it the Friday before, which is May 8.

Would that work for everyone?
If so, I'll post the final decision on a Deadline on the Front Page.

It is what it is, if you can send me links to

Grey Fox
Scalphunters
Dirty Little Billy
and

The Big Gundown

I've got physical copies of Red River and McCabe and Mrs Miller so I'm good with those.

@Citizen Rules, @ahwell, @John-Connor, @neiba, @Wyldesyde19, @Zotis, @Siddon

I realized I never actually put an official Deadline to this.
Now, if I went with the usual, one week per nomination it would be April 10, but I'm in no rush and instead of cracking the whip on us slow doggies, I'm thinking just before the deadline for the Westerns Countdown for putting Lists; making it the Friday before, which is May 8.

Would that work for everyone?
If so, I'll post the final decision on a Deadline on the Front Page.
I've been done for a long time, so doesn't matter to me.

It is what it is, if you can send me links to

Grey Fox
Scalphunters
Dirty Little Billy
and

The Big Gundown

I've got physical copies of Red River and McCabe and Mrs Miller so I'm good with those.
I could use a link for Dirty Billy and The Big Gundown
sent links to both of you for everything except Dirty Little Billy. Can't remember where I originally found that, so I'll have to look a little more.

I am fine with either date.
I have 5 to watch now. Will get to Bone Tomahawk in the next week.
Is Zotis still in this?
Considering he's beating the rest of us that are still in it, at this juncture, I'm sure he is.

Zotis (4 out of 8)
edarsenal (3 out of 8)
neiba (2 out of 8)
Siddon (2 out of 8)
Wyldesyde19 (2 out of 8)

The trick is not minding
I am fine with either date.
I have 5 to watch now. Will get to Bone Tomahawk in the next week.
Is Zotis still in this?
Considering he's beating the rest of us that are still in it, at this juncture, I'm sure he is.

Zotis (4 out of 8)
edarsenal (3 out of 8)
neiba (2 out of 8)
Siddon (2 out of 8)
Wyldesyde19 (2 out of 8)
I’m actually at 3. Missing my review for Scalphunters.
I only ask about him because he hasn’t posted a review in a long time. 4 weeks to be exact. I’ll save his for last, to be safe.

I only ask about him because he hasn’t posted a review in a long time. 4 weeks to be exact. I’ll save his for last, to be safe.
I understand.
I'll look into it later this week.

And I'll get your scalphunter's review on the front page - sorry I missed it

The trick is not minding
I understand.
I'll look into it later this week.

And I'll get your scalphunter's review on the front page - sorry I missed it
No problem. I’ll let it slide...this time. 😏

Red River (1948)

A nice classical western beautifully shot and masterfully acted. John Wayne lends the perfect amount of roughness and self-made autonomy, it's almost pitiful seeing him turn like that. Montgomery Cliff offers the right counter balance so it becomes a very powerful dynamic between the two. Cherry Valance is also a good addition to this dynamic, though I wished I'd seen more of him.

However, the whole thing needed a different resolution. It's like the first act of the film sets the things perfectly, we get to know the characters, then there's the mutiny and a great build up, but then everything is ruined. Valance's character is discarted way too underwhelmingly and the fight between Dunson and Matt ends in such a weak way. Even the lines delivered by Tess are poorly written and badly executed.

The ending leaves it quite a few holes below other films I've seen by Hawks and ends up hurting what would have been a fine western otherwise.

+

Red River (1948)
The ending leaves it quite a few holes below other films I've seen by Hawks and ends up hurting what would have been a fine western otherwise.

+
Did you read what I and others said about the ending? It was forced onto Hawks by a threat of legal action. Originally the ending was to be much darker. I agree with you that the ending how it is, is weak.