Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Outbreak (1995)

First time watch, and I may have liked it more if I saw it 10+ years ago. It seems a little dated, but the content is still pretty good from a scientific angle. The military driven plot points were a little eye rolling though. I'll rewatch Contagion soon...

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956, Alfred Hitchcock)

OK, but far from Hitchcock's best. It did have its moments of Hitchcock magic and some sequences were really well done (many reviewers have cringed at Doris Day singing Que Sera Sera twice - I thought the scene at the embassy where she's singing the song loudly to make her kidnapped son hear her was melodramatic in a good way), however the plot lacked tightness and suspense, the actions of the characters were ridiculously stupid and improbable at times, and the rushed ending just felt sloppy, considering the two hour running time. I haven't seen the original yet, many people say it's vastly superior - so definitely curious to check that one out.

JoJo Rabbit is one of the best comedies I've seen in years that isn't raunchy/sexual comedy. The entire family can enjoy this film. As far as people who think it is tasteless; this film does not make fun of Jews or make light of the suffering of the Jewish people during the holocaust. This movie pokes fun of the blind fanaticism of the NAZI's and the Hitler Youth. It examines NAZI propaganda through the eyes of a young "brainwashed" boy and we get to see his reactions as these beliefs are challenged. Absolutely worth a watch.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	JoJo Rabbit.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	61392  

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Sleepwatch Chronicles

The Squid and the Whale (2005)

Introducing the "smear job"

Spenser Confidential (2020)

When you spend the movie wondering, "is that IIiza Shlesinger?"

Account terminated on request
Inglourious Basterds (2009)

EDIT:
Reassessed. (Just saw it again earlier today).

7.9999999 / 10

The opening scene was among the most tense and perfectly put together I've ever seen. The calm, smiling, and yet unbelievably deadly Christoph Waltz and of course the incredibly growing terror on the face of the brilliant Denis Ménochet. Really something.

......And then falls a little flat from (IMO) over-the-top writing, though honestly, I seem to be liking this film incrementally more and more on my re-viewings.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Fly Me to the Moon (Ben Stassen & Mimi Maynard, 2008)
.5/10
Intacto (Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, 2001)
6/10
Escape by Night (Hamilton MacFadden, 1937)
5/10
Big Time Adolescence (Jason Orley, 2019)
6/10

Several Big Time Adolescences.
State Department: File 649 (Peter Stewart, 1949)
5/10
Domains (Natsuka Kusano, 2019)
4.5/10
Crime, Inc. (Lew Landers, 1945)
5/10
Phantom (Todd Robinson, 2013)
6/10

The Hunt for Red October with supernatural overtones.
Copper Sky (Charles Marquis Warren, 1957
5/10
Dime with a Halo (Boris Sagal, 1963)
5.5/10
Unfriended: Dark Web (Stephen Susco, 2018)
5/10
Good Will Hunting (Gus Van Sant, 1997)
7/10

It's not your fault.
The Decameron (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1971)
+ 5/10
Last Ferry (Jaki Bradley, 2019)
+ 4.5/10
Fever Heat (Russell S. Doughton,1968)
5/10
Marianne & Juliane AKA The German Sisters (Margarethe von Trotta, 1981)
6.5/10

Two sisters (Barbara Sukowa & Jutta Lampe) fight for women's rights in their own way.
The Canterbury Tales (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1972)
+ 5/10
Iron Soldier (Brett Kelly, 2010)
3/10
Lost Girls (Liz Garbus, 2020)
6/10
Threads (Mick Jackson, 1984)
7/10

Nuclear apocalypse focusing on Sheffield, England.

Love Audrey but not one of my favorites from her. Story was fine it was the performances that bothered me. With the exception of Alan Arkin the rest weren't too good. Arkin was fantastic. Biggest problem with Audrey wasn't so much the performance, there were a couple of moments I didn't like, but it was the character. Too much Sam, Sam, Sam and I thought Sam was kind of a jerk. Crenna looked like he was auditioning for Trautman which makes me think he is Trautman and the last guy was just bad cop guy. Little disappointed.

Ford vs Ferrari (2019)

I love that poster, so cool. And I loved the subject matter too. I was entertained and I really dug the vintage race cars! But the script wasn't first rate. The idea of creating an antagonist out of the junior Ford executive for drama and conflict was bush league. I mean come on it's called Ford vs Ferrari, and yet none of the drama comes from that conflict. The conflict should've been in the challenge of building world class race cars and winning at LeMans. I could've done without the personal story scenes of Ken Miles and his wife. The silliest one had to be while she's driving the family station wagon and breakneck speed and scaring her race car driver husband. It was just a go nowhere padded scene and most of Ken Miles scenes outside of the race world wasn't interesting to me. I liked the cast, they did a good job, just got 30 minutes of fluff off this one and it might go somewhere.

+

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-03-14 17-57-36.png
Views:	296
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	61400  

Tokyo Gore Police (2008) - 5/10. Violent, campy, enjoyable. But is it a good movie, hell no. Kinda something to kill some spare time. Over the top would be an understatement. The action sequences are not that well choreographed as well.

Dead Night (2017)

A cheap horror film that has nice ideas but fails to properly utilize them. The first half is utterly boring but the second half gets quite a bit more interesting. It tries to be weird for the sake of it but at times it's hard to be sure if some scenes are really weird or just poorly done. If you can appreciate good ideas in a somewhat bad movie, it's maybe worth a watch.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
But is it a good movie.
Yes.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Voyage à travers le cinéma français - 6/10
Not a very good documentary. Yes, there are some great movies presented, but a lot of duds, too. What I disliked most was the constant going back and forth to a movie already talked about; this happens constantly. 3 hours long, took me over a week to finish it - something to fill the crevices of a dull day.

Kentucky Rifle (Carl K. Hittleman, 1955)
+
A few people do get shot with the title weapon, sadly though I wasn't one of them

(A very, very, very long shot for my Westerns list, more likely to make my Worst 25)

American Assassin (2017)

Pretty up and down but the main players did well. The lad Dylan O'Brien especially.

Solid

I was prepping for an action flick and this isn't one. Most of the movie is a crew of Yakuza hanging out in a beach house waiting for orders and dealing with boredom. Strangely funny, never boring and not what I was expecting. At all.
Peak Kitano I think Hey Frederick. Combines the mundane with the downright scary so well.