Coronavirus

Tools    

No tp at my store last night. Shaking my head indeed...

No idea. Your guess is as good as mine. People are weird.
Ha, no arguments there...people are weird alright! But I was wondering if some official or some web site suggested stock piling toilet paper.

The ONLY toilet paper available in our local store the other day was Cushelle ..... doesn't really say much for that brand does it

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I've been stocking up on food for some time now, and probably have a month-worth for a sensible person. I'm not sensible. Oh, and I'm ordering food, too. They closed all restaurants, so they turned delivery-only.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

My Sisters Boyfriend Works at Walmart and is first to know when the Toilet paper comes in. We have a big pack already but he's gonna get another pack when its delivered on Tuesday

Why the toilet paper shortage? Has this ever happened before with say people stocking up for an expected hurricane?
Not in my experience, Rules.

When storms are announced people do go a bit nuts, but the things that usually empty off the shelves are bread and milk, and bottled water also. (On Thursday, my supermarket was almost out of packaged bread, lots of people were stocking up on bottled water, but the milk supply seemed normal.) No one had TP in their cart because it had already sold out at least the day before.

Sometimes snow shovels & rock salt (or ice melt) will sell out when a big snow storm is predicted. With hurricanes Irene & Sandy, I remember the stores being cleared of batteries and flashlights. This is the first time I recall TP being hoarded.

Now I'm wondering if there will be price gouging on TP when new shipments get delivered to the supermarkets.

When storms are announced people do go a bit nuts, but the things that usually empty off the shelves are bread and milk, and bottled water also. (On Thursday, my supermarket was almost out of packaged bread, lots of people were stocking up on bottled water, but the milk supply seemed normal.) No one had TP in their cart because it had already sold out at least the day before.

Sometimes snow shovels & rock salt (or ice melt) will sell out when a big snow storm is predicted. With hurricanes Irene & Sandy, I remember the stores being cleared of batteries and flashlights. This is the first time I recall TP being hoarded.

Now I'm wondering if there will be price gouging on TP when new shipments get delivered to the supermarkets.
I first went 'supply shopping' some 2 1/2 weeks ago and I seen people stocking up on water and TP then, but just a couple people. I bought the usual groceries, but did buy more than usual, just in case. I was actually going to make a thread that night and call it Pre-Apocalyptic Grocery Shopping, just because there was this weird vibe in the store, it felt like static electricity caffeine. My wife didn't notice it, so I'll chalk it up to precognition.

Anyway little did I know I should have bought TP that day! Well, my plan was to go to Costco the next day and get TP, but I was tired so we postponed Costco. By the time we finally got there TP was gone! Price fixing? We had to pay a lot for TP on Amazon, emphasize a lot.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I first went 'supply shopping' some 2 1/2 weeks ago and I seen people stocking up on water and TP then, but just a couple people. I bought the usual groceries, but did buy more than usual, just in case. I was actually going to make a thread that night and call it Pre-Apocalyptic Grocery Shopping, just because there was this weird vibe in the store, it felt like static electricity caffeine. My wife didn't notice it, so I'll chalk it up to precognition.

Anyway little did I know I should have bought TP that day! Well, my plan was to go to Costco the next day and get TP, but I was tired so we postponed Costco. By the time we finally got there TP was gone! Price fixing? We had to pay a lot for TP on Amazon, emphasize a lot.

We've seen a lot of crazy stuff when storms are coming, but nothing like this. The supermarkets shelves are almost completely empty around here. In addition to things like TP, water, and Lysol and Clorox wipes, there's no leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, kale, etc., no raw chicken or beef, no bread, no orange juice, etc.

In addition to all that stuff that wasn't available, Costco had no eggs at all, not even the brown eggs. They had no canned chicken or tuna, no vitamin C and Ester C, and there was a line that went almost the length of the entire store for bottled water.

Children can spread it to parents and grandparents. The elderly are at a risk of dying from coronavirus. I'm sure all the school closings etc, are being done as a necessity for the public's health.
Yes, that is evidently the logic. However, according to the articles, it's not that children are getting it and simply not showing any symptoms, thereby having the potential to pass it on to adults; but they're not getting it at all very much. Reportedly 2.4%, although I don't know how they've ascertained that percentage since they don't test people without symptoms.

Here are some other surprising facts from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), and JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association):

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2762130
"No deaths were reported among mild and severe cases. The CFR (case-fatality rate) was 49.0% among critical cases. CFR was elevated among those with preexisting comorbid conditions—10.5% for cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for diabetes, 6.3% for chronic respiratory disease, 6.0% for hypertension, and 5.6% for cancer. "

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ce-hcf.html#f1
“Recent reports suggest that approximately 80% of COVID-19 patients (of all ages) have experienced mild illness[i].

Note that "mild" means few or no symptoms while having the virus.

So neither mild or severe disease infection causes death. Only those "critical" cases, mostly elderly, who have co-morbitity of cardiovascular disease, diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, hypertension, and cancer (in decreasing importance) have the chance of dying. Among that reported group who've gotten the disease it's a 49% mortality rate. I'd add to that tuberculosis, which was the case in Italy, due to high numbers of migrants.

But one really has to dig online to find meaningful statistics which are crowded out by the doom and gloom.

Instead we get pronouncements like this one by Dr. Brian Monahan, who is the attending physician to the U.S. Congress and Supreme Court:
https://www.mediaite.com/news/congre...t-coronavirus/

"Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court, told Senate administrative office staff that he expects 70 million to 150 million people in the United States, roughly 1/3 of the population, will contract the coronavirus."

So using the death rate in the U.S. of 2%, he is stating that 3,000,000 people will die from the virus in the U.S.!! China has 1.5 billion people, and only 3189 have died from it, while there are currently far fewer new cases.

Monahan's statement is unconscionable, reckless and harmful. At the very least he should be fired. But this is the kind of exaggeration and half-truth that the media continues to try to panic the public with.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
All this talk about toilet paper Anybody ever hear of babies and cloth diapers? I'm sure you got some white rags and bleach around the house somewhere.

If you're going to continually suggest people are panic-mongering, you should probably address the inherent catch-22 I've been pointing out to you over and over. The failure to provide an answer is getting pretty conspicuous.

And really, let's use some common sense: the idea that medical professionals are saying absurd things which are easily fact-checked with back of the napkin math doesn't even pass the sniff test.

We've seen a lot of crazy stuff when storms are coming, but nothing like this. The supermarkets shelves are almost completely empty around here. In addition to things like TP, water, and Lysol and Clorox wipes, there's no leafy greens like lettuce, spinach, kale, etc., no raw chicken or beef, no bread, no orange juice, etc.

In addition to all that stuff that wasn't available, Costco had no eggs at all, not even the brown eggs. They had no canned chicken or tuna, no vitamin C and Ester C, and there was a line that went almost the length of the entire store for bottled water.
I don't get the hording of bottled water, hell a person can drink tap water, it doesn't contain viruses. I stopped buying veggies unless they're sealed in a bag. When I went shopping a couple of weeks ago, I watched this woman pick up and handle at least 10 different bell peppers before she decided on one. I might as well just licked her hands for all the contact she had with the peppers

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't get the hording of bottled water, hell a person can drink tap water, it doesn't contain viruses. I stopped buying veggies unless they're sealed in a bag. When I went shopping a couple of weeks ago, I watched this woman pick up and handle at least 10 different bell peppers before she decided on one. I might as well just licked her hands for all the contact she had with the peppers

We always buy bagged lettuce, but we checked several supermarkets today, and nobody had any in stock. Then we went to a farmer's market that we had never been to before, and they were fully stocked with just about every fruit and vegetable that people wanted, including a lot of bagged salads. And their lines were only about 1 or 2 people per line. They're a little bit more expensive than the supermarkets, but not high enough to be considered price gouging. (Basically the same as buying at a 7-11 or other convenience store.) They even had toilet paper and bottled water in stock, but no sanitary wipes.

All this talk about toilet paper Anybody ever hear of babies and cloth diapers? I'm sure you got some white rags and bleach around the house somewhere.
That's what I've been saying. Worst case scenario soap, water, a rag and lots of cheese. I grabbed stuff that treats the flu last trip to the store - the Quils, Tylenol, Advil and Korbel. Not that I could have grabbed TP if I wanted to. There hasn't been any for days. Today, all paper products are gone and the canned goods are now taking a hit. Agent K said it best: