Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

NACHO LIBRE
(2006)

I re-watched it yesterday and was dying of laughter the entire time. Still holds up as an underrated comedy made by the same guys who brought us the cult classic Napoleon Dynamite. Jack Black is a riot.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Spenser Confidential (2020)

This felt like a boring pilot for a series that won't be picked up by any network. Characters don't have any chemistry and the plot seems way too big for Spenser (I haven't read the books but I'd remember the old series being quite down to earth).

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

I remember this fondly. Remember. I use to think the Running Man was great, too.

Leprechaun 4: In Space
(Brian Trenchard-Smith, 1997)

Joining the likes of Jason Voorhees, James Bond, the Brave Little Toaster and other franchises that inexplicably went to space, Leprechaun 4 finds the diminutive horror icon attempting to wed, bed and bury an alien princess to become king of her planet, only to have his plan thwarted by a platoon of cock-blocking space marines. (No mention of the "sneeze once, sneeze twice, she'll become my bride if she sneezes thrice" bullsh*t from the second film, as either this iteration of the leprechaun prefers relationships that are more consensual, or continuity is an abstract concept.)

The franchise's silliness has reached new heights, with cartoonish deaths, cross-dressing cyborgs and a scientist who is half human, half ice-cream cart. I learned that it's a death sentence when an alien princess flashes her glittery breasts. And I'll never piss on the dismembered parts of a leprechaun after witnessing its magical spirit swim up urine like a parasite and re-spawn in a man's erection. The tone of Leprechaun 4 is self-aware, but the sudden emphasis on Aliens-style action fits the movie about as well as a Magnum XL on the dick of a gnat. Sets are noticeably cheap. Special-effects are a mixed bag: 90's CGI is PS1 quality, but there's some effectively goopy practical effects, most notably in the creation of a half-scorpion, half-tarantula, half-android monstrosity that makes Brundlefly look like Brad Pitt. The movie boasts a higher body count than every previous installment combined, but apparently the FX department didn't have any buy-one-get-one-free coupons to splurge on gore.

Leprechaun 4 literally ends with a giant middle finger to its audience. I'm sure that act is reciprocated among many viewers for having 90-minutes of their lives wasted on such idiocy.

Best Kill: Pan Face

Could have been called Iwao:Portrait of a Serial Killer. Great performance by the lead actor as Iwao. Iwao commits two murders, then we follow him as he tries to stay one step ahead of the police. It's not a cat and mouse flick though. The camera stays with Iwao and we know about the pursuit from tv reports and wanted posters. A majority of the film takes place in a House of Ill Repute as he hides out pretending to be a professor, getting it on on with the locals and figuring out ways to swindle folks of their money while laying low. This is a serious movie, not one that goes for shock value and it's pretty good.

Welcome to the human race...
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot -

turns out Rise of Skywalker wasn't the most pandering fan-service movie of 2019

Her
(2013)

Her explores the possibility of a romantic relationship between a human and a machine and although something like that might sound unrealistic at first, the setting of this film made it seem like the opposite. It was a perfect combination of being futuristic enough for the human-machine relationship to be believable, while still staying close enough to the real world to make it seem like this is something that could truly happen. Combine that setting with great performances by Joaquin Phoenix as Theodore and Scarlett Johansson as Samantha, and you get an unusual romance that nevertheless feels very real.

Spike Jonze has done a great job by managing to make sure that all parts of this film fit together very well. The dialogues are beautifully written, the performances, and especially Joaquin Phoenix's, are very convincing and emotional, the soundtrack and sound effects complement what we see and make it even more emotional and all of that is bundled in a perfect looking package, which has a distinct style with beautiful colors.

The direction that the story takes near the end was different from what I expected and for me, it took away from the realism of the rest of the film, so I was a bit disappointed by that.
WARNING: "Major spoilers for her" spoilers below
In a conversation between Amy and Theodore about halfway through the film we discover that Theodore isn't the only one that's starting to grow very close to his Operating System. Amy then says that she was scared that the only reason the Operating Systems behave as they do is because of how they were programmed and that's what I thought was happening too. I did like that the Operating System slowly became more intelligent and with that seemed to drift away further and further from Theodore but when the Operating Systems started to create new OS's and became something they couldn't describe in words anymore, the story started to lose its realism for me.
The realization that deep connections between OS's and humans were starting to get fairly common, made me think about how powerful the company that has created the Operating System must be now because they could potentially deeply influence a lot of people. Another scene that made me think about this and which I thought was very powerful was when Theodore discovers that his relationship isn't as exclusive as he thinks when we see him looking around on the street and all everyone is paying attention to is the devices they are carrying. I would have liked to see the film go a bit more into this direction and show more about the effects of these technological advancements on daily life.
Also, the scenes between Theodore and Chris Pratt's character Paul felt a bit unnecessary and they didn't add much to the story for me.

Although I had these problems with the story itself, I think the story was told in a great way. I loved the dialogue, the performances and the look of this film. On top of that, it's about a very interesting subject which I think will become more and more relevant as technology continues to improve and as humans will keep growing more dependent on machines. I'd recommend this film and I think it would be really interesting to watch this again in the future to see how it holds up with reality.

⬆️ Love this movie.

Account terminated on request
On top of that, it's about a very interesting subject which I think will become more and more relevant as technology continues to improve and as humans will keep growing more dependent on machines.
Have you seen the first season of Altered Carbon? You might really enjoy one of the primary characters Poe (an AI modeled after Edgar Allan Poe). Plus they dive into AI briefly in other ways as well, even though the point of the show isn't AI specifically. I say the first season, because it's the one I've seen in its entirety, and it was meant to stand alone as a story.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Account terminated on request
WARNING: "Major spoilers for her" spoilers below
Another scene that made me think about this and which I thought was very powerful was when Theodore discovers that his relationship isn't as exclusive as he thinks when we see him looking around on the street and all everyone is paying attention to is the devices they are carrying.
WARNING: "her" spoilers below
I wanted to mention this section of the movie separately, because to me it was both a major impact on the main character and I believe the audience.

I found myself feeling his angst about this in a very real way; this was a brilliant part of the film. In love stories, we're led into a path that we can relate to, or at the very least long for. When suddenly that path landed in completely unknown territory (she's in love with hundreds of other people and can somehow do that without a lessening of any one of them), I was left feeling floating between "ok with it" and "totally not ok".

I was trying to figure out if I could handle it myself. The answer was a "no" within a nanosecond. I felt the main character's love for her, and then his sudden feeling of ....... almost betrayal? Was it betrayal? What category do I put it in? It was an unusual place to be.

I prefer "happy" movie endings, but I'm impressed with where this one brought me emotionally.

Color Out of Space (D-)

So disappointed with this one. I'm such a huge fan of Hardware and Dust Devil, and not to mention Lovecraft. This movie should have kicked ass. Sadly, it did not. Not in the least. I hated every character, nothing that interesting ever happens. To sum it up, everything and everyone just felt...lame. It was a very lame experience.

If you're thinking about seeing this, don't. Go watch The Void (2017) instead.

1917 (2019)

Quite bland war film that seemed to be off in many ways. I didn't like the pacing due to "one-shot" gimmick, the soundtrack was terrible (assuming that the film tried to be intimate and make you feel like you're in the middle of war yourself, it would have been better completely without music) and the protagonist felt more like 21st-century soy-boy than a man from over a century ago (my buddy was just killed by a hun for trying to be nice so maybe I'll try the same thing myself). Some good looking scenes though.

Hello! I liked the good movie "Sonic" 8/10 How do you like this movie?