TokeZa's inane ramblings about film

→ in
Tools    

I'm Going Home (Je rentre à la maison) (2001) by Manoel de Oliveira
One of my faves

Thanks! It's a super obscure film that I grabbed from KG. At least you saw it in its best possible state if your arthouse club actually flew in the film. By the way, a newly restored copy of the Iranian classic Brick and Mirror has recently surfaced online, and I absolutely can't wait for the proper english subtitles to be made available.
Hah, yeah, it is a pretty serious movie club. They got funding from the state art foundation and last time they showed 3 movies by Rosalind Nashashibi, where she attended the screening. Next time it a screening of Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles by Chantal Akerman. All of it is for free.

I will definitely check up on Brick and Mirror, though i do not have much time to watch movies regularly anymore.

I've gone back and forth with that one so much, haha, far more than I've done compared the rest of his films.

A few years ago when I first watched it, I thought it was good, not great. The second watch I thought it was impeccable. Last year I watched it for a third time, after I'd watched nearly every other film of his, and felt like it was was middling. Then a few months ago I revisited for the 4th and most recent time, and it moved up the ranks yet again into my top 25 Godard films, haha.

I honestly can't think of any other film of his that I've been so wishy-washy about after each rewatch. There's films like Breathless that have steadily dropped in my rankings — but no other film of his went from a 4/5 to a 5/5, down to a 3/5, back to a 4.5/5. I guess surprises like that come with the territory though, haha.
Hmm no, I definitely think that some of Godards material is quite dubious, though he is certainly one of the directors i have seen the most from. I am at 35 Godard films as we speak and he is probably one of the most prolific directors out there.

I guess my favorite is still Pierrot le Fou. What is your favorite?

I've gone back and forth with that one so much, haha, far more than I've done compared the rest of his films.

A few years ago when I first watched it, I thought it was good, not great. The second watch I thought it was impeccable. Last year I watched it for a third time, after I'd watched nearly every other film of his, and felt like it was was middling. Then a few months ago I revisited for the 4th and most recent time, and it moved up the ranks yet again into my top 25 Godard films, haha.

I honestly can't think of any other film of his that I've been so wishy-washy about after each rewatch. There's films like Breathless that have steadily dropped in my rankings — but no other film of his went from a 4/5 to a 5/5, down to a 3/5, back to a 4.5/5. I guess surprises like that come with the territory though, haha.
Hmm no, I definitely think that some of Godards material is quite dubious, though he is certainly one of the directors i have seen the most from. I am at 35 Godard films as we speak and he is probably one of the most prolific directors out there.

I guess my favorite is still Pierrot le Fou. What is your favorite?

Germany Year 90 Nine Zero, or "Origins of the 21st Century"

Last bunch of films

Parasite (2019) by Boon Joon-Ho
+

Kinoglaz (1924) by Dziga Vertov
+

Paris Belongs to Us (1960) by Jacques Rivette
+

Uncut Gems (2019) by Josh Safdie and Ben Safdie

The Two Roads (1973) by Mani Kaul

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) by Jeff Fowler
+