21st Hall of Fame

Tools    

The Tree of Life

My 4th Malick film after Badlands, Days of Heaven, and The Thin Red Line, all pretty good movies. I don't feel like it's a particularly impressive resume for a director who seems to be held in such high regard, unless it's predominantly attributed to how his movies look. This movie looks amazing, although I will say it's the simple moments that wowed me. The 10 minute sequence after about 20 minutes in and the end sequence didn't do much for me. It was during these times that I felt the movie was trying to do too much, and I also believe these are the same times when the film's fans will say wow look how deep this is. Because otherwise, is this a deep film or an amazingly simple one? I think most of the movie is extremely basic, but there's extraordinary beauty in that, even if it's a very somber ride. I loved most of this movie but there were times when it fell flat. Malick is supremely talented but he ain't no Kubrick.

Just finished The Tree of Life so I'm done watching all the films. I still need to write two (or more like one and a half) reviews and finish ordering my ballot. Like The Hunt, Malick's film was pretty much as I expected it to be. I don't even know if I'd call it a movie or maybe a video installation. I'll ponder that in my review soonish.

So everyone has confirmed, awesome! Just checking in to see that @TheUsualSuspect and @edarsenal are still with us, I'm sure both of you are as you're active/reliable members!!!

Jagten (2012)
aka The Hunt

Sometimes living up to expectations can be an issue. I've meant to watch The Hunt for a long time, but I was kind of worried that I already knew how the film plays out. Now that I've seen it, I can safely say that I was right, and I'm not particularly happy about it.

On the positive side, The Hunt feels realistic. It's a modern-day witchhunt where logic and reason get tossed aside. Some accusations seem to have so much weight behind them that they become true without any evidence, and former friends turn to demons with just a few words. While this mass hysteria and complete lack of objectivity feel real, it doesn't necessarily make an entertaining movie (just like it doesn't make the world any better).

The Hunt is a depressing movie, but not for just the right reasons. It feels like watching an alcoholic friend, but instead of one sick person, you're observing a flaw in the whole species. Lucas doesn't make it easy to feel sympathy for him either (at times, it looks like he tries to imply his guilt like the oddly out-of-place church scene near the end). Somehow his response to the situation is even more pathetic than the mob's senseless anger (I guess it's safe to say that I hated the ending).

It's not a bad film, but it takes a too safe and familiar approach to its topic. It has no major technical flaws, and it's well-acted (especially the girl playing Klara), but it lacks real emotional punch due to its predictability and non-likable protagonist. I hoped The Hunt would be better, but I'm not surprised it ended up being mediocre.

The trick is not minding
Jagten (2012)
aka The Hunt

Sometimes living up to expectations can be an issue. I've meant to watch The Hunt for a long time, but I was kind of worried that I already knew how the film plays out. Now that I've seen it, I can safely say that I was right, and I'm not particularly happy about it.

On the positive side, The Hunt feels realistic. It's a modern-day witchhunt where logic and reason get tossed aside. Some accusations seem to have so much weight behind them that they become true without any evidence, and former friends turn to demons with just a few words. While this mass hysteria and complete lack of objectivity feel real, it doesn't necessarily make an entertaining movie (just like it doesn't make the world any better).

The Hunt is a depressing movie, but not for just the right reasons. It feels like watching an alcoholic friend, but instead of one sick person, you're observing a flaw in the whole species. Lucas doesn't make it easy to feel sympathy for him either (at times, it looks like he tries to imply his guilt like the oddly out-of-place church scene near the end). Somehow his response to the situation is even more pathetic than the mob's senseless anger (I guess it's safe to say that I hated the ending).

It's not a bad film, but it takes a too safe and familiar approach to its topic. It has no major technical flaws, and it's well-acted (especially the girl playing Klara), but it lacks real emotional punch due to its predictability and non-likable protagonist. I hoped The Hunt would be better, but I'm not surprised it ended up being mediocre.
While I enjoyed the film more then you did, I too was disappointed by the ending. But for a different reason.
After all they did to him, he pretends it never happened and rejoins them on the hunt.
It reminded me of Malena, where the ending shows she’s been accepted back into society after all they did to her, and the humiliation she suffered at their hands.

While I enjoyed the film more then you did, I too was disappointed by the ending. But for a different reason.
After all they did to him, he pretends it never happened and rejoins them on the hunt.
It reminded me of Malena, where the ending shows she’s been accepted back into society after all they did to her, and the humiliation she suffered at their hands.
I had to re-read what I had written after this because that's exactly my main issue with the ending as well. I'm pretty sure it falls under the "pathetic response" even though I didn't specify it any further. But yeah, I don't understand why he stays in his little town when all of his "friends" have shown that they don't trust him a bit and are willing to throw him under the bus without even considering that he may be innocent. I wouldn't want anything to do with such "friends" afterward.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Wedding Crashers

A movie that showcases the funniest dialogue ever put to screen in my opinion. Comedy is so subjective, and in a general Hall of Fame, it really goes against odds from the beginning of having any chance of winning, but I usually am not hung up on winning and I wanted to nominate a real personal favorite this time.

The cast is as good as it can get. Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn are the perfect one two punch for a movie like this and they are super hilarious to me in this. Both of their best movies for me right here. Add in Rachel McAdams who is completely gorgeous in this plus Ilsa Fisher, Chris Walken, Jane Seymour, Will Ferrell and others and we have quite the cast of characters that is probably unrivaled for any comedy for me.

I really like the first 45 minutes of the movie with all the wedding stuff. Since watching this movie weddings have just been more fun and all the one liners are totally awesome. I use them a lot with my friends. Phrases like "people helping people, powerful stuff", "erroneous", "crab cakes", it's all hilarious and just thrilling to me to watch over and over again. Puts me in a real great mood.

Obviously not a perfect movie but I usually rate movies based off of how entertaining they are and this is one of the best in those regards.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
So everyone has confirmed, awesome! Just checking in to see that @TheUsualSuspect and @edarsenal are still with us, I'm sure both of you are as you're active/reliable members!!!
not going anywhere
I'll be writing my review on Wedding Crashers this evening. Going to watch either Tree of Life or The Hunt tonight.

The trick is not minding
Being There

Chance the gardener is a simple man. He has simple needs, Speaks simply. It’s apparent he has a learning disability of some sort. Or so we think. Chance, much like this film, is nothing like he seems.
Chance is thrown out of his former employers home after he dies, and you get the impression he has never been in the outside world previously. He eventually gets hit by a car and taken in by the Rands.
Ben Rand is an old man dying of a “young mans disease”. He is tended to by his doting wife, Eve.
At first they want to ensure he doesn’t take a claim out against them, so they have their private doctor care for him. Soon, however, Ben is taken by his words of “wisdom”.
Soon, after a meeting with the President of the US, he becomes a sensation. TV appearances follow. And everyone wants to know “Who is Chauncey Gardener?” (The name he is mistakenly given)
No one has any background on him. And of course he wouldn’t, it’s not his name. And what we have is a man who everyone tries to figure out, along with the audience.
Is he a simple man? Or is there more to him? The ending provides a clue.
Chance is played magnificently by Peter Sellers, among his best performances and should have earned him an Oscar for it.
The others actors are decent.
However, I do find MaCLaine as Eve was not written well. She’s an actress who has already proven that with the right material she can be
Amazing. Here she’s made to be desperate, and has an embarrassing scene.
But what does is all mean? What is Hal Ashby, the director trying to say? That perhaps the answers we seek aren’t all that complicated?
And just when you think you have the film and Chance figured out, it surprises you.
It’s a wonderful film, and it definitely deserved a rewatch.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

The Wedding Crashers

Jeremy Grey: I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.
John Beckwith: Soft mattress?
Jeremy Grey: Yeah, it could have been the soft mattress. Or the midnight rape. Or the nude gay art show that took place in my room. One of those probably added to the lack of sleep.

Reading over raul's review I could almost go point/counterpoint with him on this one. Since I had been avoiding this film since it's release; and, my apologies, raul, I was happier for it.

Like you say, comedy IS subjective and for me, this doesn't work. The scenarios, characters and the story format is cookie-cutter checklist made specifically for the actors involved. Reminding me of similar films like Meeting The Parents which I cared even less for. More accurately, utterly hated.

Wilson is on my dislike list. I've only liked him in one film, Armeggedon and that might be cause he's barely in it and then he dies. He's in that group with Sandler and Stiller. I see their name and I will not watch it. I've tried previously and it's been horrible every time. Many times stopping the film because I can't take anymore. So now, I see the name, I move on.

I have been on again, off again, with Vince Vaughn and while he does do his usual shtick, I did enjoy him and felt for the guy quite often.
Rachel is ALWAYS a pleasure, but not enough to turn the tables on this.
The same goes with the rest of the characters who could have been pulled from a hat of generic "odd" family members. Seen 'em, prefer to ignore 'em, and no, keep the t-shirt.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Well I like him too although I haven't seen him in much. But I like him in this and Shanghai Noon and his part in Tenenbaums is decent too

Well I like him too although I haven't seen him in much. But I like him in this and Shanghai Noon and his part in Tenenbaums is decent too
You must have seen him in more than that. What about Bottle Rocket and The Life Aquatic, you seen those?