Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

Account terminated on request
Deadpool/Deadpool 2
What was it about these?

I loved these films, but could only take them maybe 30 minutes at a time before the oneliners wore me out.

Had I seen them start to finish, I would have had a more negative view of it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
A Clockwork Orange. I know it's considered to be a big classic, but I felt that the story became repetitive in the last third, and didn't really know how to end or explore it's subject matter that it introduced.

Saving Private Ryan (1998)

Pretty much anything directed by Spielberg actually, but very specifically Saving Private Ryan. Just my opinion, but the movie really offends me. My reasons?

I hate the violence which I feel is unrealistic and done in such a manner as trying to be grotesque, novel and entertaining, and I find it inappropriate and in poor taste. I found the characters and script to be likewise silly, unrealistic and overall misrepresentative (not that I was there at the time, but I'm an avid enthusiast of the history and have my own impressions). I think it's an insult to the men who were there on all sides. Richard Todd who appeared in The Longest Day (1962) and was actually there and serving on D-Day allegedly called it "rubbish" and "overdone", with which I agree.

Welcome to the human race...
Other ones I forgot include every David O. Russell movie that isn't Three Kings (and even then that's just okay) and High Fidelity.

I don't hate them, I don't hate anything, I don't like them:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
- Citizen Kane (1941)
- Mulholland Drive (2001)
- North by Northwest (1959)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
- Casablanca (1943)
- Amadeus (1984)
- Inception (2010)
- The Departed (2006)
- Braveheart (1995)

All of them I watched at least five to ten years ago, I might like them now. Some of them I consider watchable... I might enjoy Pan's Labyrinth if I watch it again...

This ones I didn't see because I know I will dislike them:

- Alien's
- Starwars
- Gone with the Wind (1939)

Other ones I forgot include every David O. Russell movie that isn't Three Kings (and even then that's just okay) and High Fidelity.
High Fidelity was great fun for me to watch. Not stellar, not terrible, but easy to coast through. Jack Black is a riot, and the way it ended was perfect IMO.

One of those "Technical: 7/10, Personal Enjoyability: 9/10" things for me.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Welcome to the human race...
Yay for you. Might as well mention that I put Glengarry Glen Ross on my last top 100 and it stands a fighting chance of making it on there again.

I don't hate them, I don't hate anything, I don't like them:

- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
- Citizen Kane (1941)
- Mulholland Drive (2001)
- North by Northwest (1959)
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
- Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
- Casablanca (1943)
- Amadeus (1984)
- Inception (2010)
- The Departed (2006)
- Braveheart (1995)

All of them I watched at least five to ten years ago, I might like them now. Some of them I consider watchable... I might enjoy Pan's Labyrinth if I watch it again...

This ones I didn't see because I know I will dislike them:

- Alien's
- Starwars
- Gone with the Wind (1939)
I like your list...2001 and Braveheart bored the crap out of me. And I've never even seen five movies on the list

Why do you hate this movie? I love this movie
Probably for the same reasons most all of us will love one version of a film, but not the other version...

People tend to bond to the first film version they see (if they like it)...then when they watch another version of the same film there's no way it can be match the first version, so their mind decides it's inferior.

I see you recently watched the movie Cats and rated it really low. I bet if you've never seen the stage play of Cats (which I believe you said you loved) then you'd have nothing to compare Cats the movie too, and so the movie would've received a higher rating from you. That would be true of me with Little Shop of Horrors. The original version is the one I seen first and bonded to, it then became my template for what Little Shop of Horrors should be like. So when I then years later see a completely different version, that second version didn't match my idea of what the film should be, thus my brain decided it was inferior to the original first version.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

I like your list...2001 and Braveheart bored the crap out of me. And I've never even seen five movies on the list
That surprises me that there are 5 on the list you haven't seen. Which ones were they?

I don't have any interest in seeing Mulhullond Drive, or Pan's Labyrinth, but I've seen the others.

Probably for the same reasons most all of us will love one version of a film, but not the other version...

People tend to bond to the first film version they see (if they like it)...then when they watch another version of the same film there's no way it can be match the first version, so their mind decides it's inferior.

I see you recently watched the movie Cats and rated it really low. I bet if you've never seen the stage play of Cats (which I believe you said you loved) then you'd have nothing to compare Cats the movie too, and so the movie would've received a higher rating from you. That would be true of me with Little Shop of Horrors. The original version is the one I seen first and bonded to, it then became my template for what Little Shop of Horrors should be like. So when I then years later see a completely different version, that second version didn't match my idea of what the film should be, thus my brain decided it was inferior to the original first version.

Hopefully that all makes sense.
I don't know where you got this, but I have never seen Cats onstage...I tried to watch a DVD of the stage show a few years ago but turned it off after abut 25 minutes,

I don't know where you got this, but I have never seen Cats onstage...I tried to watch a DVD of the stage show a few years ago but turned it off after abut 25 minutes,
My mistake I thought you had talked about watching it on stage.

I didn’t hate it but I find Fight Club very overrated.
I get a lot of incredulous responses in regards to it.
So long as you understand that his name is Robert Paulson, I'll be ok.

It was SUCH an inventive film to me. That and 12 Monkeys live in a certain kind of cult classic that the only name I have for is "like Fight Club or 12 Monkeys".

You're lucky. I saw it live, and it's simply an absurd bunch of cats on a stage. I couldn't even focus long enough on it to squeeze any kind of storyline out of it. And lackluster music! Ugh. I'm a HUGE Andew Lloyd Webber fan, but this?

I was looking for a fork to stick in my eye after those 25 minutes....