Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

James Mangold, 2019

I liked the story actually, it wasn't boring, the movie didn't seemed very long because I had the remote in my hand, also liked how they managed to show Ken Miles, anyway, it had one great actor and nothing else with him, the same old, same old. The racing looks like a video game, not to mention how unrealistic they've made it, breaking doing corners, doesn't work like that, up-shifting, downshifting, everything smells of Hollywood. Caricature of Italians, the bad guy, good guy, real Hollywood.

Deadshot - Action thriller with Iko Uwaiss. Not as good as the Raid but fairly good anyway.

War - Highly stylized action adventure from Bollywood which i enjoyed a lot. Had some great action scenes, lovely locations and lots of nods in the film to other action films like Face Off and such.

Star Wars the Force Awakens (2015) 3/5 Fun entertainment, impressive smorgasbord of visual effects, and fantastic cinematography.

Still, it seems to be a hyperbolic version of "A New Hope." Two items that made me wince: 1. Millennium Falcon is portrayed as a multipurpose tool of diverse capabilities - spaceship capable of hyper-light speed, bulldozer/snow blower, forestry log splitter (all without a scratch) 2. Rey 's no-notice command of the Force is miraculous. She makes Kylo Ren and Luke Skywalker look like incredibly slow learners.

Maybe I misread, but my point is that I don't think it was an excellent movie.
Dark and creepy is OK Gideon, pretentious and up it's own fundament is another!

Amusing re-watch.

TOY STORY 4
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Amusing re-watch.

I LOVE this movie...i was pretty sure I was the only person on the planet who had ever seen it. It's on my list of favorite Lemmon performances and my list of favorite guilty pleasures.

BANNED
Redman - Freestyle (Funk From Hell)

Dark Waters (2019)

Good and gripping true tale about a fight against the chemical giant DuPonts knowing use of carcinogenic material.

Ruffalo is exceptional. And is ably supported with a great cast.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Escape from the 'Liberty' Cinema (Wojciech Marczewski, 1990)
- 6.5/10
Baltimore Rising (Sonja Sohn, 2017)
6/10
The Flying Ace (Richard E. Norman, 1926)
+ 5/10
The Blood of Jesus (Spencer Williams, 1941)
6/10

The congregation has to choose between Christ and the Devil.
Hungry Soul (Yûzô Kawashima, 1956)
6/10
A Thousand Suns (Mati Diop, 2013)
6/10
Whitmer Thomas: The Golden Ones (Clay Tatum & Whitmer Thomas, 2020)
6/10
Courage for Every Day (Evald Schorm, 1964)
6/10

Philosophical look at life in Communist Czechoslovakia.
The Girl from Chicago (Oscar Micheaux, 1932)
5/10
Holiday (Edward H. Griffith, 1930)
+ 6/10
Mickey and the Bear (Annabelle Attanasio, 2019)
5/10
A Million Little Pieces (Sam Taylor-Johnson, 2018)
6/10

Charlie Hunnam talks to his brother (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) about the latter's present stay in a drug rehab center.
The Magic Sword (Vojislav Nanovic, 1950)
6/10
The Miracle of the Sargasso Sea (Syllas Tzoumerkas, 2019)
5/10
The Elephant God (Satyajit Ray, 1979)
6/10
Hua yang de nian hua (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
7/10

Stylishly edited musical short.
The Thing About Harry (Peter Paige, 2020)
6/10
Every Time I Die (Robi Michael, 2019)
5/10
Golden Eyes AKA Booted Babe, Busted Boss (Jun Fukuda 1968)
6/10
A Taxi Driver (Hun Jang, 2017)
+ 6.5/10

In 1980, misanthropic South Korean taxi driver Song Kang-Ho agrees to drive German photojournalist Thomas Kretschmann into the dangerous city of Gwangju.

The Night Listener (2006)

I taped this off of Film 4 with only the idea that I had never heard of it and Robin Williams was in it. Interesting thriller with RW playing a radio DJ that strikes up a long distance relationship with a young lad who has had a terrible past (and present). The Gabriel character is going through some life changes too, so on the suspicions of his friends and family, starts to dig a bit deeper. Not all is as it seems. I found this an effective low-key thriller that wasn't showy at all and concentrated on character (particularly Gabriel).

Can't Come Out to Play/The Harvest (2013)

Effective little early evening thriller/horror....great cast and the youths hook up quite well. Predictable in the big "tell" but around that a meaningful storyline. First McNaughton film I've seen since "Henry".

Out of the Furnace 2013 Directed by Scott Cooper

Recommended by JoaoRodrigues.
Solid drama / crime / revenge flick with some Deer Hunter elements, big cast, great acting.
Features a nice track from one of the best grunge albums ever.

+

That's the America I know and the one no one cared about, then Trump came. Small town with one factory, harsh conditions, I know what's like working in steel. The pressure of a young girl to start a family before it's too late, the aging, forget the romance, one of the greatest dramatic scenes I've seen in a movie. The lack of opportunities, either factory or the army, fight in some war, come back, nothing is waiting, just the same old. The town disappearing, come back from prison and everything is changed, doors closed, people fleeing. The movie could fall into a genera with the revenge, I don't think it fallen, it completed the point, there's nothing for them there, nothing to lose. I liked Christian Bale very much, his a great actor, the character is prefect... introspective, very decent, it smells old American morals and codes and how circumstances just ended up breaking him.