Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

High Strung Free Dance (Michael Damian, 2020)
Three young people connected to an upcoming Broadway show go through many obstacles to live their dreams in the heart of NYC. They include an aspiring dancer, a piano player, and the choreographer of the show, who inevitably form a love triangle of sorts but altogether, a pretty good dance film with sporadic musical numbers and a feel-good final act.

Carol of the Bells (Joey Travolta, 2020)
This movie made me shed both happy and sad tears. Members of the cast and crew have developmental disabilities and this is a very heartwarming and tearjerking tale of a man who finds his biological mother after so many years but is scared when he learns she has Down's Syndrome. His wife decides to do something about it and will go to great lengths tto bring mother and son together in time for the holidays.

In the Cut (2003)

Supposed to be an erotic mystery drama of some sorts. The acting is overwrought and self-important (including, sadly, Ruffalo, but Ryan really takes the biscuit here). The direction is indulgent but so self-appraising that it leaves no space for the story to breathe or develop beyond caricature.

Can remember Meg Ryan at the time parroting repeatedly in interview that Jane Campion was the director as though that was somehow a seal of quality. Patchy and deeply average at best.

City Lights (1931) Delightful movie, especially Chaplin's boxing sequence. His physical ability is remarkable and incredibly smooth. A good example is in the living room scene where Chaplin attempts to mount the piano bench and winds up in the stuffed chair. I wonder how many "takes" scenes like that took to get it right and resulting bruises...a masterpiece.

1917 (2019)

Ahh, it was OK I guess. A fun watch, but nothing I'd want to rewatch again. It was like a one trick show...We keep seeing the solider go from one level to the next level to the next level, all while trying not to get blown up. It was like a video game, exciting and fast past, but nothing of deep substances...We just watch our player trying to make it to the next level.

After while the only thing that was interesting to me was wondering what the film maker would come up with for the next scene. I never really bought into the story and so never believed in the film. I was always acutely aware of the movie making aspect of it. Especially the music score was way over done...and people say movies from the 1940s had overly exuberant movie scores.

Some of the adventure scenes were overcooked, especially the city at night looked mega fake. So did the raging river with steep rock wall banks, (I thought he was in France not in the Pyrenees).

I'm probably being too generous with my rating...
-

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	7d8b252ed336884e284e3135d6935b2fff9388a3.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	60749  

In the Cut (2003)

Supposed to be an erotic mystery drama of some sorts. The acting is overwrought and self-important (including, sadly, Ruffalo, but Ryan really takes the biscuit here). The direction is indulgent but so self-appraising that it leaves no space for the story to breathe or develop beyond caricature.

Can remember Meg Ryan at the time parroting repeatedly in interview that Jane Campion was the director as though that was somehow a seal of quality. Patchy and deeply average at best.

LOVE this movie. Book is excellent too. Amazing how people view movies differently.

This is an excellent movie.

Re-watch of a classic of British cinema.

Re-watch of an excellent movie. @matt72582 would like this movie if he’s never seen it.

Re-watch. Meg Tilly was excellent in this movie. Pivot: never knew she had a son with Colin Firth.

Olivia Wilde slayed this rôle. Dark, violent. Good movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Re-watch of a classic of British cinema.

Re-watch of an excellent movie. @matt72582 would like this movie if he’s never seen it.
Thanks for tagging me. I've never seen it. Why do you think I would like it? I've added it to my watch-list, but was wondering why its rated so low, but I might check it out sooner than later.

[quote=Stirchley;2068185]LOVE this movie. Book is excellent too. Amazing how people view movies differently.

Cannot take to Meg Ryan at all Stirchley, do not think she can act,

Thanks for tagging me. I've never seen it. Why do you think I would like it? I've added it to my watch-list, but was wondering why its rated so low, but I might check it out sooner than later.
Probably very few people saw this movie. I never look at ratings myself.

It’s an excellent unusual story written & directed by Day-Lewis’s wife (Arthur Miller’s daughter). Excellent cast & well-acted.

Cannot take to Meg Ryan at all Stirchley, do not think she can act,
She can act, but I have rarely seen her in a movie. I thought Ruffalo was fantastic in In the Cut. Huge fan of his.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Light in the Water (Lis Bartlett, 2018)
6.5/10
100%: Julian Edelman (Kyler Schelling, 2019)
6/10
Living on Soul (Jeff Broadway & Cory Bailey, 2017)
6.5/10
Everything Beautiful Is Far Away (Pete Ohs & Andrea Sisson,2017)
6/10

A talking robot head helps two lost people navigate in the desert in this vague but beautiful sci-fi.
B.B. King: On the Road (Jon Brewer, 2018)
6.5/10
The Red Phallus (Tashi Gyeltshen, 2018)
5/10
Decision Before Dawn (Anatole Litvak, 1951)
+ 6.5/10
The Girl on the Broomstick (Václav Vorlícek, 1972)
+ 6/10

Aspiring witch Petra Cernocká is transported to the modern world and practices her spells.
Pariah: The Lives and Deaths of Sonny Liston (Simon George, 2019)
6.5/10
Ali & Cavett: The Tale of the Tapes (Robert S. Bader, 2018)
7/10
After Parkland (Emily Taguchi & Jake Lefferman, 2019)
6.5/10
Girl on the Third Floor (Travis Stevens, 2019)
+ 5/10

Wandering husband Phil Brooks doesn't realize all the trouble he's getting into with the title character (Elissa Dowling) in this haunted house flick..
The Cage AKA Klec AKA Suspicion (Jirí Strach, 2019)
6/10
Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer (John Schultz, 2011)
5/10
Miss Virginia (R.J. Daniel Hanna, 2019)
6/10
Untamed Romania (Tom Barton-Humphreys, 2018)
6.5/10

The Carpathian Forest is home to some of the most spectacular wildlife and natural beauty on Earth.
The River (Juan Pablo Richter, 2018)
5/10
Who Wants to Kill Jessie? (Václav Vorlícek 1966)
5.5/10
So Pretty (Jessie Jeffrey Dunn Rovinelli, 2019)
4/10
Sorry We Missed You (Ken Loach, 2019)
+ 6/10

Just trying to have a job and support a family can make people literal slaves.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

1917 (2019)

Ahh, it was OK I guess. A fun watch, but nothing I'd want to rewatch again. It was like a one trick show...We keep seeing the solider go from one level to the next level to the next level, all while trying not to get blown up. It was like a video game, exciting and fast past, but nothing of deep substances...We just watch our player trying to make it to the next level.

After while the only thing that was interesting to me was wondering what the film maker would come up with for the next scene. I never really bought into the story and so never believed in the film. I was always acutely aware of the movie making aspect of it. Especially the music score was way over done...and people say movies from the 1940s had overly exuberant movie scores.

Some of the adventure scenes were overcooked, especially the city at night looked mega fake. So did the raging river with steep rock wall banks, (I thought he was in France not in the Pyrenees).

I'm probably being too generous with my rating...
-

Bummer man. I loved it.

I never really bought into the story and so never believed in the film.
I won’t be seeing 1917 any time soon (too many other movies to see), but this would be the kiss of death for me.

1917...Bummer man. I loved it.
That's cool. I didn't hate it, but I wanted more humanistic story and less action. But action is real big today, so I'm not surprised the film went that way. But the illusion of the continuous take was a nice thing to see.

I won’t be seeing 1917 any time soon (too many other movies to see), but this would be the kiss of death for me.
You might love it? Maybe not? Either way I'd be interested in seeing your thoughts whenever you do get around to watching it. I believe you said recently you didn't like Dunkirk? I didn't care for that movie myself. BTW I'm working on watching the Oscar Best Picture nominations...and while I usually don't post in this thread I will post my thoughts after watching them.

LOVE this movie. Book is excellent too. Amazing how people view movies differently.

This is an excellent movie.
I'm with Marco on this one...this movie was dark and creepy.

I believe you said recently you didn't like Dunkirk? I didn't care for that movie myself.
Hated it. Didn’t believe in it for one second. Compared to something like Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers where, in both instances, I was totally invested in all the characters.

Account terminated on request
[...]especially the city at night looked mega fake.
Yeah, I get stuck on "fake" looks a lot in movies, though I didn't see 1917 so I can't judge in this case. But I always harken back to the large number of times I've seen a city as the airplane I was on descended for a landing.

I've always remarked about how toy-like and uber-fake it looks. Part of it, no doubt, is the lack of visual parallax because of the distance....it tends to flatten things oddly. But I think most of it is because at a distance, all of the surfaces seem far "too clean". You can't see the imperfections that we're used to close up that lend to what we view as realism.

I've always loved that effect. It's like I'm looking at a bad photoshop of a city at night when we land.

I pointed out the effect to my kids once. They were all "whoa, weird!".
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Primal (2019)

For some reason I though Nic Cage might of been done making not very good movies but he's not done yet

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Account terminated on request
Primal (2019)

For some reason I though Nic Cage might of been done making not very good movies but he's not done yet

Oooof! Yeah, that guy did some movie and financial @#$%ing up, huh.

A couple "sources" online claim he's now worth "only" 25 million. Yeeks. He's been at this a long time for only that. Apparently he was near 150M at one point.

Ouch. Some people revel in seeing the successful fail. I always personally hate it.