Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Account terminated on request
But I think most of us just wing it, when it comes to ratings.
Probably for the best, since this is by definition a subjective endeavor after all.

I don't wing it at all.
I don't think Citizen Rules was saying that you're in any way random or haphazard with your ratings, if that's how you took it.

For instance, you rated this movie, this way:

It Came from Another World! (Christopher R. Mihm, 2007)
- 5/10

But a 5 out of 10 is flunking if we use the metaphor of grades, and conversely, mathematically a 5 out of 10 would look like this:

So there's a method behind it that might be hard to pin down since the rating_2 you gave doesn't fit into either category(?)

Nothing at all wrong with that! I'm just wondering aloud about how folks do it.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

A Fistful of Dynamite 1971 ‘Giù la testa’ Directed by Sergio Leone
aka Duck, You Sucker and Once Upon a Time...the Revolution
(Blu-Ray US Dubbed version)

Rod Steiger and James Coburn in an epic Italian Zapata Western.

+
75/100

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Overview of my rating system. I've used a 1-10 scale since I was 17 - 47 years ago. I've adapted it to the MoFo system.

9.5/10 or 10/10 A+
8.5/10 or 9/10 A
8/10 A-
+ 7.5/10 B+
7/10 B
6.5/10 B-
5.5/10 C or 6/10 C+
5/10 C-
+ 4.5/10 D+
4/10 D
+ 3.5/10 D-
3/10 F+
2/10 F
1/10 F-

Since I rate few movies at the extreme high or low ends of my scale, I'm not as concerned with differentiating all those ratings, but in the middle ground, I think it's more helpful - at least to those who get something out of my ratings. Since I had my stroke, it's difficult for me to type longer posts.

But I think the ratings are actually more of how we were graded in school. F/D/C/B/A, with F at 1 star.
Except not everyone is graded in school like that

In Finland elementary through high school is traditionally rated from 4 to 10 (though in these odd times the elementary school is moving away from ratings altogether because you can't have anyone doing better or worse than someone else). Vocational school and the university have been using a 0 to 5 scale.

you can't have anyone doing better or worse than someone else
LOL. Who knew Finland was really America.

Death Rides a Horse 1967 ‘Da uomo a uomo’ Directed by Giulio Petroni

A Bullet for the General 1966 ‘Quién sabe?’ Directed by Damiano Damiani

+

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Thought I would revisit this after watching it over 10 years ago since I think I might have missed some of the underlying themes of the movie. I also wanted to continue marching through some of the more highly recommended subtitled movies! Pan's Labyrinth is an enchanting film that depicts war and childhood in a rather unique light. I enjoyed most of it, though the ending felt like it missed a step somewhere....

The Bib-iest of Nickels
This isn't, exactly, the last film I watched, but, most interestingly, I recently watched Parasite. I have been an avid fan of South Korean cinema for many years now and I am happy to see a Korean film receive attention on a global-scale. That said, I also thoroughly enjoyed the film. I found it had a lot of layers, an attention to detail that, in some ways, reminds me of Jordan Peele (in modern years, I mean), and I found it had a very timely, approach story-line. I also believe it's a film that could be a proper "gateway" to South Korean cinema for some because of how novel the concept is and how approachable the characters feel. Sometimes the best South Korean movies I have seen are difficult to recommend to a casual moviegoer. I wouldn't recommend I Saw the Devil to someone (I mean, I would, and do, but I wouldn't expect them to enjoy it), but this film I believe could have farther reach.

Laissez bronzer les cadavres (2017)
aka Let the Corpses Tan

French spaghetti western set in modern-days. A prime example of style over substance but still oddly intriguing for a majority of the time. Showing the times on screen was pointless and some close-ups served no function at all. Even after a couple of days, it's a hard film to rate. So this is subject to change...

--

Dirty Little Billy (1972)

Dirty and kind of nasty slice of life about the early days of Billy the Kid. There's no plot really, just Billy dealing with the life he hates. Like above, this is really hard to rate. It's a little dull at times, some of the action looks awful (especially the knife fight between the ladies) but at the same time Billy, Goldie, and Berle are a great trio of characters. Also, the ugliness of everything becomes a thing of beauty. Again, this is a preliminary rating...

--

Dead Birds (2004)

Yet another western but this time a horror film. I'd seen this before when it was new and I remember that my thoughts were pretty much the same as today. The first hour or so are pretty solid and atmospheric horror with some brutal scenes of violence. Towards the end, the plot gets away from the writer's grasp and the twist, in the end, is rather stupid. It's a nice film but there was much more potential, especially as the cast is quite good.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

The Night Clerk (Michael Cristofer, 2020)
Tye Sheridan is excellent in this film in the titular role of Bart, a man who has high-functioning Asperger's who has a voyeuristic thing because it helps him with communication. During a shift as a night clerk at a hotel, he finds himself the suspect of a murder, but did he actually do it? The film has a bit of a neo-noir vibe with an excellent supporting from the new Bond Girl, Ana de Armas, as a woman who sees Bart as a means of escape from a complicated relationship and John Leguizamo as the detective in charge of the case. I wish there was a bit more from Helen Hunt and Johnathon Schaech in their performances but I learned some things in a recent interview with Schaech (See my interview thread for the link). Still a solid film nonetheless.

Gargoyles (1972)

Just Before Dawn (1981)

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Watched the Dorothy Kilgallen: The Reporter Who Knew Too Much video:

Shaw has really done his research, and I'll be looking forward to reading his recent book on the Kilgallen/Ruby/Oswald JFK assassination subjet, Denial of Justice.

Shaw's main focus of interest is on Kilgallen's disclosures regarding Jack Ruby, and his real reasons for shooting Oswald. Shaw is not an expert on the general subject of the JFK assassination, but his research into the subject of Kilgallen/Ruby/Oswald goes to show that there was definitely a plot to Kill Kennedy, and that the book which Kilgallen was writing for publication by Random House, following several interviews with Ruby, would have provided shocking disclosures that could not have been left without public awareness and further investigation. He concludes that this was the reason for her murder.

The lecture itself is about 75 minutes, with the remaining time devoted to questions and answers. Powerful stuff.

Hopefully the film based on Shaw's research being developed by the Dowdle Brothers (No Escape; Waco) will refresh the public's interest in the most important crime of the 20th Century and its subsequent coverup. Reported working title Kilgallen, it will be either a feature film or cable presentation.

~Doc

The Mask of Zorro: 7/10

It's entertaining, but the pacing and the awkward tone-shifting brought it down for me, plus Hopkins' Britishness stuck out for me, I had trouble seeing Zorro in his performance as opposed to seeing Hopkins, though his line delivery's pretty good.