Locke and Key

Tools    

Yesssss:

This is based on a series of graphic novels written by Joe Hill (Stephen King's son). They're excellent. Totally bucked the King thing of premises that far outstrip their conclusions. Can't recommend them enough.

Naturally, people tried to make it a show before this, about a decade ago. Even filmed a pilot and some people got to see it. Then there were plans for a movie trilogy. Both, obviously, fell through. Netflix is a pretty good fit, though, and it's a very good story. Can't wait.

Not really familiar with this but I'll probably check it out due to Joe Hill alone (I've liked all of his books I've read, obviously doesn't yet have the quantity of his father but average quality seems to be better). I also liked NOS4A2 series last year so maybe there's a reason for some positivity

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I keep getting distracted by Horse Girl's movie thumbnail.
=/

So much L>O<L

Dude, I stared at that thing for so long. Allison Brie is amazing in how drop dead gorgeous she can look or so burnt out house mom faced she can appear. I can't think of anyone else that oscillates in such a manner.

I'm changing my sleep pattern today, so good chance I finish this show and still don't watch Dark or Mindhunter...

Sherri Saum is not Rae Dawn Chong, but she sure looks like it.

Enjoyable stuff. If I can see this stuff coming, then it must be beyond obvious, but it's fun. Gave me those Umbrella Academy feels. On board and waiting for s2.

I do notice how some of these binge shows have a hollow feeling that I can't describe. It feel like 2 hours of content made to hold you for 8. There needs to be a genre/sub-category to label something like this versus a prestige show of the same run-length.

It does feel weird to be pulled in to a YA(?) show when you are much older. I'm going to say growing up on John Hughes movies gave me the condition.

I'm a little let down: the graphic novels are amazing, and a lot more grown-up. So far it's not as sanitized as I'd worried, but it still feels a little too whimsical for my tastes, and I'm not nuts about some of the early changes. But, I'm only a couple of episodes in, so we'll see. The premise, and some of the key concepts, are clever enough that if someone is new to the material that might be more than enough to make the show a winner, even if it's nowhere near the best translation possible.

I do notice how some of these binge shows have a hollow feeling that I can't describe. It feel like 2 hours of content made to hold you for 8. There needs to be a genre/sub-category to label something like this versus a prestige show of the same run-length.
Yeah, this is a legit problem. Netflix has gotten better, remember all those Marvel shows that were 13 episodes? But yeah, many are still a couple of episodes longer than they need to be.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Just finished season 1 last night. Binged it on computer monitor #2 while putzing around online on computer monitor #1. Two episodes were on the big-ass TV downstairs last evening.

I've not read the graphic novels, though I've been curious about them since I really like Joe Hill's writing. This definitely had an Umbrella Academy vibe to it. And the end of season 1 felt like the stereotypical "The END???" ending to me. They could have wrapped everything up neatly and left it alone... and perhaps they should have. Not saying I didn't enjoy it, just that I'm not sure I need multiple seasons like this.

Having said THAT, I want to point out that I think the binge-watch phenomenon should change how shows are written and made. Generally speaking, if I go back now and binge my way through a series I *had* to watch one episode at a time (week to week), I find that it too suffers from that quality of feeling like too little content stretched out over an entire season (or series!). So the problem might be that show-writing hasn't morphed and changed enough yet to accommodate the way so many people now watch TV shows.

Just a stray thought on that.

Having not read the graphic novels, I do have to say that it felt sanitized, based purely on how Joe Hill's books read. I'd read warnings from friends in various threads on Facebook that this is NOT a YA show (for those asking if their teens should watch it), but honestly, why isn't it? Aside from a few swear words and perhaps an intense scene here and there, it definitely felt like it could pull into the YA category.

Just another stray thought on that.

Definitely read the graphic novels. They're really good. Great ideas, well-written, portions out a fascinating back story at the right pace, and has a satisfying conclusion.

A system of cells interlinked
I've seen two episodes so far, and have enjoyed them. Pretty cool premise, and the characters seem fairly interesting.