Your 10 worst/best films of the 2010s

Tools    

The 2010s were perhaps the weakest decade since 1950 for me (although I guess it is also because I stopped watching many movies in 2013), even the superhero movies were weaker than the ones of the previous decade, despite the massive number of those. The decade was very good for animation though and had the first actual Hollywood adaptation of manga (adaptation in the sense of actually translating the plot of the manga into the movie instead of just using the names of the characters and replicating some visual elements as that horrid Ghost in the Shell movie).

1. In this Corner of the World (2016) 10/10
2. Little Witch Academia (2013) 10/10 (short film)
3. Tale of Princess Kaguya (2014) 10/10
4. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) 9.5/10
5. A Silent Voice (2016) 9.5/10
6. Interstellar (2014) 9.5/10
7. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) 9.5/10
8. Wind Rises (2013) 9/10
9. Lore (2012) 9/10
10. Alita: Battle Angel (2019) 9/10

Only three 10/10 movies but looking back at all those movies 10 it still looks like it was a nice decade. Also, Interstellar is Nolan's best movie IMO and one of the last examples of great science fiction. There are also 3 movies from the greats: Takahata, Miyazaki, and Scorcese's, the first one died and the last two are perhaps the two greatest living directors.

Also, representing the increase in gender diversity I have two movies directed by women in there: A Silent Voice (2016) and Lore (2012).

The truth is in here
Us and American Hustle on a worst list I don't like that
Haven't seen American Hustle, but I definitely disagree with Us. Especially since I actually prefer it over Get Out. I like both, but there are more things about Get Out I have problems with. Plus Us was very, very creepy in places. Lupita Nyong'o really nailed her performance in that movie.

Japanese way more introvert as compare to western society like America. But in context of their acting's culture, their approach in acting that was theatrically convey their emotion: being more excessive or over the top by movement, gestures, and expression; but at the time this aesthetic also applied to, for extent, the like silent film and classical hollywood. The different i guess, in Japan the stage acting influences --of the traditional play like kabuki, noh or even classic Western play, like Shakespeare-- pave their way to the contemporary and across media(manga, anime, even tv shows).

As matter of generalization, I believe the term Shakespearean actors still the best to describe most performers in japan today.
I do not see a higher degree of explicitness in the depiction of emotion in Japanese fiction if compared to Western fiction. In fact, it is even standard for Japanese characters to hide their emotions (see Ozu's films for an obvious example).

I guess that a person that is not acquainted with Japanese culture might perceive it as more explicit because it lacks some of the elements of discretion that are typical of Western culture. In the same way, the Japanese see western culture as extremely lacking in terms of discretion.

The biggest cultural differences regarding Japan and the West in terms of culture are:

1) Western culture is very unsexualized in the sense that sexuality is rigidly constrained to certain domains where it is regarded as appropriate, in Japan they lack this constraint (hence why they were the first to have tentacle hentai).

2) Western culture values realism in representation, especially when it is trying to depict something serious western art tends to become more realistic. For example, nobody would ever think about doing a movie like Schindler's List animated while in Japan they had made an animated remake of Sansho the Bailiff already in the 1960s: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054631/, while there is a lot of western cartoons it almost never is serious, instead it tends to be just simplistic and aimed at small children or be crude comedy, and in the few times it tries to be serious it tries to be more realistic.

While only in Japan they managed to make something like EVA, which is completely unrealistic in multiple dimensions but takes itself more seriously than almost any western fiction. That explains why the Japanese did not have a problem with the very unrealistic depiction of characters in Ozu's films.

I do not see a higher degree of explicitness in the depiction of emotion in Japanese fiction if compared to Western fiction. In fact, it is even standard for Japanese characters to hide their emotions (see Ozu's films for an obvious example).
because the portion of the stuff that western(and the world in general) consumes is, by impression speaking more in the external form of explicitness. To be more specific, there more of Kurosawa in Miyazaki that far more popular internationally than Isao Takahata that echoing Ozu or even Naruse realism~naturalism.(that is not goes by saying, there lack of underlying Subtlety for the former but it gave far more extroversion than the later)
The other one is based on the craving need of mental escape for this kind of discretion culture. Shounen is the finest popular example where the premise circling on characters that will not shy away to speak their dream or what is on their mind, and even against the conformity. That one of the big reasons why a personality like Oda Nobunaga so big and important in their culture, so did project (on the extent) in anti-conformist idiot like Goku, Luffy, Hanzawa Naoki, and ofc

I guess that a person that is not acquainted with Japanese culture might perceive it as more explicit because it lacks some of the elements of discretion that are typical of Western culture. In the same way, the Japanese see western culture as extremely lacking in terms of discretion.
what I believe is the westerner usually has more the tendency for culture shock because they have perceived, a preconceived idea based on the portion or surface that they have consumed and missed the little social nuance when they meet actual Japanese in reality. in fact, I'd read the story often where outsiders could become far more alienated(at first) in this kind of social maze.