NFL 2019 Season

Tools    

Russell Wilson does the same things Patrick Mahomes does, and The Niners face him twice a year. The Chiefs can score points, so I don't think it will be a blowout, but I see San Francisco winning.
I think Mahomes might be a tougher version of it, but this is a good point even so. Mahomes, as good as he's been the last two weeks, was facing two pretty bad pass defenses and SF has definitely had to gameplan for a QB who can beat you two ways.

I'm moderately confident Andy Reid can enact a strong offensive game plan that's more rushing-oriented, anyway, but it's true that he hasn't been tested the way San Francisco will presumably test him, either. The fact that they won with Jimmy G throwing eight passes is bananas. Not sure what the odds on Raheem Mostert as Super Bowl MVP are, but that's an intriguing bet.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Not sure what the odds on Raheem Mostert as Super Bowl MVP are, but that's an intriguing bet.

And puts the final nail in the coffin of any running back contract, not tendered by Jerry Jones.

Well, today's the day. Pretty excited, this has the potential to be one of the closer/better matchups, on paper, in years. That said, even a lot of the "worse" on-paper matchups produced unbelievable games, so I'm not sure if that matters.

The Chiefs probably drew the worst possible opponent for them here, because their run defense is very bad and San Francisco's run offense is great, and has looked great recently. It's hard to imagine the 49ers not putting up a decent point total barring turnovers or crazy special teams or something, because they should be able to move the ball reasonably well most of the game. And that means limited KC possessions. One also wonders if Mahomes can fend off their pass rush, which is much better than the ones on the defenses he's faced the last two weeks (which he destroyed). He's mobile enough it might not make a huge difference, but that seems like the game. And it seems like he'll need a few of those Houdini game-changing plays to match San Fran, assuming they do score at a solid clip with that running game.

Would say it's particularly big whether the Niners jump out to a lead, then, because they're built to just grind you down if they do. And Jimmy G, though he hasn't been asked to do much, is totally capable of keeping them in more of a shootout anyway, if he has to.

Can't wait to see what happens. Chiefs are only 1.5 point favorites, and I'm awfully tempted to say the 49ers are gonna pull this one out, just because of that huge run offense/run defense mismatch. I think if the Chiefs win it's going to be on the back of big, unpredictable plays like huge ST efforts, turnovers, or just pure Mahomes magic even as they generate an effective pass rush on him, all of which are pretty hard to predict because they turn on just a few moments. Ditto for the handful of downfield shots Garoppolo might take. Those kinds of plays are all really marginal, but they seem like they'll be what the game turns on.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Glad The Chiefs won. Officiating was terrible. Really getting sick of Goodell's lame NFL product.

Great game. Happy the Chiefs won. Pretty bizarre, though, since the 49ers clearly did most of what they needed to. Their success rate matched KC's and under the hood they kinda "should" have won. Have to look closer, but I'm guessing it came down to sequencing and conversions. But they checked off most of the items they probably wanted to check off in order to win, and the Chiefs won anyway.

Easy to imagine KC being perennial contenders with Mahomes at the helm, in part because he didn't even have a particularly good game here.

Ditto for the handful of downfield shots Garoppolo might take. Those kinds of plays are all really marginal, but they seem like they'll be what the game turns on.
This aged well, given that Garoppolo had Sanders open for the go-ahead score at the end there but overthrew him.

I think he's a pretty good QB, but last night he basically made all the throws he was supposed to and not many of the tougher ones, contra Mahomes, who was more the opposite early on but seemed to settle in. Think he'll be fine long-term, and it's not like they need to change the way they do things given how little you'd have to change to make them champions last night, but they could be downright scary if they lean on Garoppolo a little more and he responds. Which might at least get him in the habit of having to make those kinds of throws, as opposed to throwing eight passes and then taking two weeks off.

As an Eagles fan, I'm very happy to see Andy Reid finally get that long overdue ring.

I also suspect that, in a few years time, we're going to be sick of seeing Mahomes and the Chiefs in the Superbowl every year, much like we are with Brady and the Patriots

Could be, though the threshold for that figures to be higher because they're a much more explosive/exciting team. I imagine being both exciting and consistent is pretty difficult, though.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't think they will really be a dynasty. Maybe one more in the next coming years but I don't see them over taking the league year by year like New England.

If anything, they will be the new version of Pittsburgh/Seattle.

I don't think we are looking at the beginning of a dynasty here. One has to think that teams will figure them out soon. Keep in mind they came back from double digit deficits in each playoff win this year, so if teams would just hold their lead...

Could be, yeah. People always talk about dynasties like they were inevitable looking back, but the truth is it's probably impossible to have them unless you're good and lucky.

Tough call. I think Jackson's probably easier to "figure out" than Mahomes, who just makes insane throws from positions and angles that we've never really seen (50 yards off his back foot in the Super Bowl? Huh?), but it's also easy to imagine him becoming a moderately better passer and being just as scary, at least for the next few years before the acceleration takes a little hit. Could be a fun few years in the AFC.

I don't think they will really be a dynasty. Maybe one more in the next coming years but I don't see them over taking the league year by year like New England.

If anything, they will be the new version of Pittsburgh/Seattle.
I don't see a dynasty either. That QB is going to get a lot of money preventing them from keeping other players, and I fear he will have injury problems.

It'll certainly take some luck, like all dynasties do. But I think QBs taking less money to be on better teams is going to be an increasingly common thing, especially when they make so much so fast, and so much from endorsements.

It's a well known fact that Giselle has been the MVP of the Pats dynasty. It's easy to take less money when your wife is pulling down 44 million a year. To Brady's credit he didn't need/want the "highest paid QB" label he could have held for the past decade plus.