Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Raising Arizona, 8/10

Classic Coen Brothers comedy.

Also one of Nicholas Cage's wackiest films, but he ironically plays the straight man for most of it.

Hombre 1967 Directed by Martin Ritt

Almost perfect first hour! It was really looking like this was going to be one of my favorite Westerns. Sadly the last couple of scenes were somewhat lackluster for me.
+
For me it took awhile to believe Newman's character, one of his strangest roles. Richard Boone was chilling as the sadistic bad guy-- one of the best in films IMO.

Raising Arizona, 8/10

Also one of Nicholas Cage's wackiest films, but he ironically plays the straight man for most of it.
I agree. One of the first and very best Coen Brothers' films. It's a timeless classic that's still hilarious today, 33 years later.

Account terminated on request
Raising Arizona, 8/10

Check, check, check, +1, agreed, etc.

I've always broken Coen Brothers into two categories:

1. Classic Coen Quirky (it's own category IMO)
2. Coen Brothers perhaps trying to make more standard films, but not quite getting there.

In my experience, people either "get"/love the first category right away, or they never do. Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy and Oh Brother are perfect examples...kinda sad. The world wouldn't be right without their films. The quotes from these movies will live forever.

"Well ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere."
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Big co-sign. And props for mentioning (positively!) The Hudsucker Proxy, which gets a weirdly bad rap given how incredibly funny and quotable it is. Love that movie.

Account terminated on request
Big co-sign. And props for mentioning (positively!) The Hudsucker Proxy, which gets a weirdly bad rap given how incredibly funny and quotable it is. Love that movie.
Our entire family lives and dies by movie quotes.

and of course, this brilliance:

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Raising Arizona, 8/10

Check, check, check, +1, agreed, etc.

I've always broken Coen Brothers into two categories:

1. Classic Coen Quirky (it's own category IMO)
2. Coen Brothers perhaps trying to make more standard films, but not quite getting there.

In my experience, people either "get"/love the first category right away, or they never do. Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy and Oh Brother are perfect examples...kinda sad. The world wouldn't be right without their films. The quotes from these movies will live forever.

"Well ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere."
Even Fargo and Lebowski have so many of the farcical elements from these films

I just watched Jumanji the next level. Fairly enjoyable movie, without it being special.

I appreciate the fact they made an actual effort to introduce interesting characters in Devito and Glover. And the change in Kevin Hart's character (won't reveal what it was) was smart, largely because Hart did great with that character.

They have already shown what the next part will be about.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Coldest Game (Lukasz Kosmicki, 2019)
6/10
Little (Tina Gordon, 2019)
5/10
Goran (Nevio Marasovic, 2016)
6/10
Ma (Tate Taylor, 2019)
+ 5/10

Ma (Octavia Spencer) smiles at danger but also dishes it out.
The Plagiarists (Peter Parlow, 2019)
6/10
Obsession (Goran Dukic, 2019)
+ 5/10
Painless (Jordan Horowitz, 2017)
6/10
Can You Keep a Secret? (Elise Duran, 2019)
+ 5/10

Alexandra Daddario is insecure about her flaws but trusts Tyler Hoechlin, at least up yo a point.
A Demon Within (Ayush Banker & Justin LaReau, 2017)
5/10
The Isle (Matthew Butler Hart, 2018)
6/10
Nighthawks (Grant S. Johnson, 2019)
5/10
Wildling (Fritz Böhm, 2018)
6/10

What's a wildling? Bel Powley and you will find out, sorta.
The Cruise (Marek Piwowski, 1970)
5.5/10
Desolate (Frederick Cipoletti, 2018)
5/10
Touch of Pink (Ian Iqbal Rashid, 2004)
+ 6/10
Balkan Spy (Dusan Kovacevic & Bozidar 'Bota' Nikolic, 1984)
+ 6.5/10

Danilo 'Bata' Stojkovic is one of two crazed brothers whose politics have a paranoid clarity to them in this absurdist satire.
A Faithful Man (Louis Garrel, 2018)
5.5/10
Perfect Skin (Kevin Chicken, 2018)
5/10
Road to Roma (Andres Clariond & Gabriel Nuncio, 2020)
- 6.5/10
Give Me Liberty (Mikhanovsky, 2019)
+ 6/10

Just got to try to live your life the best you know how. You know? And you'll be OK. Anything else?

Blade Runner (The Final Cut): 9/10 (Had previously watched this film, but dunno which cut it was back then)

Harley Quinn:Birds of Prey, it's a big step up from Suicide Squad in that the movie is okay borderline good but if you've seen the trailer you basically saw the film. It's a little sad when the hyena has more charisma than half the "team". The strength of the film is it borrows heavily from John Wick all the action scenes are great...though a bit slower.

Margot Robbie is very good in this, it feels like a Quinn solo film and it's strongest and funniest when they go down that route. Ewan McGregor is a great villain and we have one good running gag with Huntress but at the end of the day it's a three star movie.

Color Out of Space (2019)

It's been too long since I last read Lovecraft's stories but I'm pretty sure Color Out of Space has never been a favorite of mine yet it's (I think) adapted to film more often than any other of his works. Despite interesting director, Nicolas Cage and producers of Mandy had kept my expectations rather low. The end result is too much like Yuzna & Gordon's collaborations from the 80s. Visually it's properly alien but also very cheap looking. I hope the next film is going to be a bit more serious and less over the top.

English title is Let the Corpses Tan. I'm usually a fan of Canal+ stuff but this was an extreme case of style over substance. Some dudes steal some gold bullion and are hiding out at the home of an artist. Cops show up, there's some shooting, some double and triple crossing, etc. It's a mess with a lot of artsy fartsy camera work, fx, blood splatter and really vivid colors all set against a deserty backdrop, so it looks good but it's boring.

Jumanji: The Next Level (2019)

Been meaning to watch this since I found the first Jumanji reboot to be surprisingly entertaining and I was not disappointed the second time around. Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart shine above everyone else through the little twist added to the movie at the beginning. Dwayne Johnson has used his charisma from his wrestling days to really make a name for himself in hollywood and it shows once again in this film.