The Outsider (HBO series)

Tools    

The hooded figure seems to feed off of the rippling destruction of the act more than the act itself.
he loves to have powerful and mysterious figures show up over and over, often with totally different names and forms, only to reveal in one of the The Dark Tower books that it's actually the same person.
Yep, both of these were made clear in the last episode. Have felt very in-tune with this series and it's King tropes from the very beginning.

They've mostly gone there already but I'd expect a bit more of the "what if the things we've called Devils throughout history have just been these awful warlock things?"

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
This show is gonna finally get me to quit hoarding Dark s2.

What a great idea for a thread, "Why do I hoard TV shows?" .

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Loving it, wish I hadn't started it so I could watch it all at once.

Like True Detective Stephen King edition.

The cinematography is really impressive. I see they've had four different guys do episodes repectively: 3,3,2,2. I don't know who's done the first few, but they're top shelf. Makes me wonder if having several different photographers causes them to compete with each other for excellence.

Also there are two music composers, but they've both worked on each episode. The scores are very absorbing and really help set the tone.

There will likely be Emmy noms for photography and music; and probably Mendelsohn, directors and writers.

Hope the show keeps up the high caliber!

~Doc

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
The cinematography is really impressive. I see they've had four different guys do episodes repectively: 3,3,2,2. I don't know who's done the first few, but they're top shelf. Makes me wonder if having several different photographers causes them to compete with each other for excellence.

Also there are two music composers, but they've both worked on each episode. The scores are very absorbing and really help set the tone.

There will likely be Emmy noms for photography and music; and probably Mendelsohn, directors and writers.

Hope the show keeps up the high caliber!

~Doc
Agreed. I was kinda taken back to discover some episodes were directed by different people. That's a first for me on learning of two composers too. The consistent quality says a lot about collaboration, trust, and ego for each episode to blend so seamlessly with each other without odd spikes here and there. Everything appears to be one director, one writer, one photographer, and one composer.

Really nice stuff all around.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The look that Anderson gives when he looks at the boy's sketch? It is so obvious that his dead son is gonna tie-in, but how?

Has he seen the "I'm your boogeyman, I'm your boogeyman, dun-dun-duuhhh" before? Was it involved in killing his son (which I still don't recall them saying how he died) and somehow Anderson stopped the spiral out because of something he did by chance/intrinsically?

The look that Anderson gives when he looks at the boy's sketch? It is so obvious that his dead son is gonna tie-in, but how?

Has he seen the "I'm your boogeyman, I'm your boogeyman, dun-dun-duuhhh" before? Was it involved in killing his son (which I still don't recall them saying how he died) and somehow Anderson stopped the spiral out because of something he did by chance/intrinsically?
I assumed that the odd-looking sketch just reminded him of the Maitland girl's description of the man she's seen. And I really hope they don't tie in his son's death with this case (I personally hate the way how many books/films/series are written so that seemingly every event in the world is tied to its main character).

Still loving the show after four episodes.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Well, I skimmed a bunch of these posts because I'm only up to episode 2. I'm delighted to say this does NOT feel like most other King adaptations. It's compelling so far. Unfortunately I watched the "behind the episode" bit at the end of episode 2, and King said a few things that really should not have been shown that early in the series. (It was deliberately an episode 1-2 BTS bit.) That irks me.

So now my dilemma is this: I typically prefer to read the book before seeing the movie. Almost invariably. I hadn't read this book yet, though I bought it the day it came out. So now... do I stop watching and go back and read the book, which wasn't really next up on my to-be-read pile? Or do I watch the series and then eventually go back and read the book, to see how it differs?

(sigh) First World problems.

I learned with GoT to AVOID interview commentary between episodes, end-of-episode previews for the next one, and previous episode summaries at the start of a new episode.

They ALL SPOIL SOMETHING!!! lol

I'm assuming we got a new ep this week? Seems like HBO has a history of putting shows on a Super Bowl hiatus.

I'm assuming we got a new ep this week? Seems like HBO has a history of putting shows on a Super Bowl hiatus.
Yarp.

What a scurry f'n episode. So glad it's over. Wonder if that had anything to do with me not sleeping?

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Season 1, of course.
There is only 1 season of True Detective as far as I'm concerned.

So "the guy" was SO in the waiting room. Just so creepy.

What is the kick, the ketch . The thing that just keeps him from mowing people down, why does he make someone else do it? It's like he physically or "magically" can't do the acts himself, yet he he wields the ability to control people.

WARNING: spoilers below
There is something about Ralph and that damn dead son. It was like he was a grief feast that set something in motion all these years back. We're gonna find out that Ralph was responsible for the son dying and yada-ya.

Enjoy it now friends. You know how this stuff goes, these planes are hard to land. 50/50 that the ending is unsatisfying.

I've watched the first 6 eps, and it's been enjoyable. The story is now steering full into the supernatural aspect.

Even though the overall premise is easy to follow, it's somewhat tricky to recall the interplay of the characters from week to week. I always wait to watch two at a time, so it's necessary to completely re-acquaint before every viewing.

The innovative music score really keeps the mood rolling.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Yeah, we're definitely hip-deep in Stephen King territory now. And this is where I become more guarded in my optimism that it'll continue being as enthralling as it's been so far. Because I can smell around the edges, with Hoskins now transforming into El Cuco (or whatever), that it's going to veer into too-familiar King territory for his readers. He does the gross transformation thing well, with accompanied fear, panic, and despair in the person being taken over... but he does it too often. It starts to feel as if he takes a fascinating premise (how could the suspect be in two places at once?) and then gives it a deus ex machina explanation just because he's a horror writer and can get away with it.

I mean, once we're tossing facts and evidence out the window for supernatural legends, anything goes and he no longer has to explain anything to us.

See, now I let my guard down. Sorry.