Why is Parasite nominated for best picture, when it's a foreign film?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I love over the top, if it's done right.
Yeah maybe... I will give it another watch.

I guess the Academy isn't xenophobic after all!!!!

Hopefully this will now inspire people to watch a tonne more foreign language films, and in turn, mean that a whole load more foreign language films get put in theatres.

“I was cured, all right!”
I'm happy for Parasite! Happy for Bong joon ho (this is not even his best imo)! But what I'm most happy for, is for South Korea and asian cinema in general! I always told everyone that I knew to watch more films from other countries (specially asian ones). Here in Brazil, most people watch American films only, the cinemas are 98% American. ScarletLion's words above summarize what I hope for this victory. I was rooting for Ford v Ferrari 'cause I didn't believe the academy would have the balls to give Best Movie for a foreign.

Welcome to the human race...
The thumbnail would indicate otherwise.

EDIT: heh, it's now been marked as private and is now literally unwatchable.

I guess the Academy isn't xenophobic after all!!!!

Hopefully this will now inspire people to watch a tonne more foreign language films, and in turn, mean that a whole load more foreign language films get put in theatres.
Hopefully it will encourage people to stop hating on America, Americans and anything made in Hollywood.

Next up China! I saw the Abominable a few weeks ago and that was a blatant Chinese sell out to get over 34 movies limit. Not to mention how they are slowly taking over Hollywood. Korea wins the artistic merit. China buys the whole industry!

I think the reason why Parasite won though for the academy, maybe it wasn't a hugely great year for Hollywood movies, so Parasite's story really stood out from the crowd maybe? I have only seen two other of the best picture nominees, and they were good, but not near as good as Parasite I felt... so I am just guessing maybe that's the case, why the Academy picked Parasite perhaps?

I don't think this is a case of the Oscars going 'woke', like in the video, but more of a case, that it was slimmer picking this year for really good Hollywood movies? I mean of the Oscars were to pick a movie like say Ip Man 4: The Finale, then can argue the Oscars are doing it to be 'woke'. But Parasite is actually best picture material though.

I suppose the guy in the video does have a point though, is how can it be nominated for best foreign film and best picture, which is what my OP was originally about.

Hopefully it will encourage people to stop hating on America, Americans and anything made in Hollywood.
True.

My No.1 film of the last year was an American movie. There are good American films out there. You just have to look a bit harder.

This is well worth watching.

The guy makes a good point. Foreign films have two chances to win a "Best Picture" Oscar, whereas U.S. films have only one. Accordingly, perhaps there should be a Best U.S. Picture category.

Well there is also this video commentary on it here:

In the video, the one guy on the left, says perhaps the filmmaker who submits their foreign film to the Academy should be given the option of which category they should submit to: Best Picture, or Best International Picture. That way, the fillmmakers can pick which category they want to submit to, and do not get two chances of winning. Would this be more fair?

Well there is also this video commentary on it here:

In the video, the one guy on the left, says perhaps the filmmaker who submits their foreign film to the Academy should be given the option of which category they should submit to: Best Picture, or Best International Picture. That way, the fillmmakers can pick which category they want to submit to, and do not get two chances of winning. Would this be more fair?
The problem is, the best international film award doesn't go to the Director. I believe it technically goes to the country of origin. Which is why Bong won 3 oscars and not 4.

Asking people what awards they want to be up for is never really going to be a good look.

This is really crazy, and more crazy thing is that I haven't even watched it

Yes, countries submit films to be considered for the Best International Feature, not filmmakers.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes, countries submit films to be considered for the Best International Feature, not filmmakers.
What do you mean the 'country' does? The government of a country is not involved in submitting to the Oscars, are they?

They're submitted by some kind of film organization from that country, so it necessarily varies. It's usually not the top of the government, formally, but sometimes a committee formed by it, or something. Various levels of involvement.

Oh okay, I thought it was up to the producers.

What do you mean the 'country' does? The government of a country is not involved in submitting to the Oscars, are they?
Yes.

HERE is a recent article about the process.

The creative forces behind the project must be from the submitting country and each country designates an organization or film academy of their own to determine what the country's one submission per year will be. The AMPAS has no oversight of these bodies. If a country is open about their process, that's great, but if it is a regime like China they can suppress or promote whatever they want.

If there are say five amazing movies made in France in a given year they can only submit one for the Best International Feature Film Oscar. But how they make that determination is up to them.

It's the film board of every country that submits what they feel is their best chance of winning. That is what I know. And the boards are governmental wings.