Best Picture Hall of Fame Part 2

Tools    

The trick is not minding
I have seen all of these already. A few notes:

Gandhi: first time I tried watching this I turned sit off because I found in boring. Made a second attempt a few years laters and managed to finish it. Kingsley is great in this, but’s it stuffy, and filmed at a glacial pace. Will rewatch.

Platoon: one of my all time top films and my nomination.

Unforgiven: also one of my all time favorites. I nearly nominated this film but decided to leave it for the Western HOF 3 we had been discussing. Won’t nominate it there now. 😜

Braveheart: also love this movie. Everyone mentions the historical innacuracies, but one must remember that we’re not going to a movie for a history lesson. Artistic liberties are expected. as long as it’s not driven by an agenda, and I don’t think it was here.

American Beauty: really love this movie despite what happened with Spacey. I’ve learned long ago to separate a film from a persons personal life. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to enjoy Sinatra’s films. (That guy was a piece of work)

The Departed: I really enjoyed this movie, saw it twice in the theatre. Always thought the script was overwritten. Despite how much I enjoyed it, It’s a shame Marty won for this over his more impressive works. Basically a career achievement.

The King's Speech: saw this in the theatre as well. Liked the story and the acting. Been meaning to rewatch it to see how it holds up.

...we’re not going to a movie for a history lesson....
I’ve learned long ago to separate a film from a persons personal life...
I agree with both of those. That's why I like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, seriously, I like that movie. Despite the fact that Lincoln never chopped up that many vampires in his life!

The trick is not minding
...we’re not going to a movie for a history lesson....
I’ve learned long ago to separate a film from a persons personal life...
I agree with both of those. That's why I like Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, seriously, I like that movie. Despite the fact that Lincoln never chopped up that many vampires in his life!
Are we sure he didn’t? 😏

The trick is not minding
Are we sure he didn’t? 😏
Have you seen it? It's a blast, cheesy as all hell, but deliciously so.
I haven’t yet. I remember seeing the books years ago and remarking to my brother “I bet they make a movie out of that.” Lo and behold....

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I've seen 5 of the 7. Will rewatch them all as I always do.

Gandhi and The King's Speech are my two blind spots here.

I'll open it off with American Beauty since that's on Netflix. I own Braveheart, Unforgiven, Departed and Platoon.

Who nominated Unforgiven? I read the thread again, but didn't see who it was.

Gandhi - CR
Platoon - Wyldesyde
Unforgiven
Braveheart - Raul
American Beauty - Ahwell
The Departed - Sarge
The King's Speech - Edarsenal

Seen 'em all, if it was the other way around I would've joined.
Strong nominations, I would rank them:

1. Braveheart
  2. Unforgiven
  3. American Beauty
  4. The Departed
  5. Platoon
  6. The King's Speech
  7. Gandhi

I'll be rooting for Braveheart.

Legend in my own mind
Be interesting to see if my opinions on how I currently rank these films changes on viewing.

I am going into it with the intention of being as open minded as possible.

1. American Beauty
2. Unforgiven

Both masterpieces to me

Braveheart, The Departed, and Platoon are all right there too just a shade under the other two.

Saw The King's Speech recently and just thought it was decent.

Gandhi is already in my queue and I'll try to get to it before this is over.