21st Hall of Fame

Tools    

The trick is not minding
Pride

Which was a wise choice, since the heart of the story is the relationship between the Minors and the gay and lesbian community.
Oh man, you stole the joke I was planning
Gah! Stupid auto correct! I meant miners!
😳

The trick is not minding
Hoping to rent Quills (love this film! Can’t wait to rewatch it!) and Tree of Life (have been looking forward to seeing this for years) this weekend.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Breakfast Club (1985)

Of course highschool isn't the same depending on which country you live in. But there's a certain type of stereotypes, or archetypes, you always find among teenagers, regardless of where you grow up. This movie does incredibly well at presenting these archetypes, in a way that is immensely relatable.
It's one of those movies immensely rewatchable that becomes different each time, depending on how old you are and how far away are you from what is usually a very difficult time, highschool.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Moonstruck

A middle of the road story with some decent performances I guess. I'm not sure that Cher's performance was exactly Oscar worthy but I also don't know what she was up against so I guess I'll have to reserve on judgment until I see the competition. I usually like Nic Cage actually but his character did sometimes annoy the hell out of me. Mainly I didn't find their love to be all that believable really. But I also didn't find her love with Johnny to be believable either, so there's that.

The screenplay is pretty good and there are some decently funny moments. The family and cast overall also annoyed me too, just seemed like a phony Italian family to me. Had I cared for some of the characters a bit more maybe then I would have enjoyed the film a bit more but this is the definition of middling for me unfortunately.

-

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Dark City

Inspector Frank Bumstead: So Husselbeck, what kind of killer do you think stops to save a dying fish?

I've always enjoyed watching this film ever since I first witnessed it in the movie theater when it came a couple years after The Crow using a similar shadowed world; this time in a noir setting that could, or could not, be somewhere in the forties. Though purposely keeping it vague, considering the ever changing landscape of this night time city and it's denizens who continually walk the circular maze that is their existence.
Until John Murdoch "wakes up" and begins to see what is hidden behind the curtain of their lives.

Starring Rufus Sewell (whom I do enjoy when he plays the villain in other films) who must figure out, not only, who he is, but what is truly occurring as the very buildings change just as much as the citizens do. And The Strangers that orchestrate it. The best of them, Mr. Hand is played by Richard O'Brien the creator of Rocky Horror as well as my favorite character from that film, Riff-Raff.
Along with Sewell's Murdoch is Det. Bumstead (John Hurt) who finds out that it isn't simply a serial killer he's been assigned to find, but, why no one has memories of day time or of anything remotely recent.
The truth of it all is known by Keifer Sutherland's Dr. Schrieber, who seems to channel Peter Lorre as the nervous doctor The Strangers force to aid them in their experiments.
Finally, we have a beautiful Jennifer Connolly who I just sigh with delight during her opening scene, singing "Sway" with a Veronica Lake hair style.

With a crazy mix of noir and science fiction with a story line that comes from a Twilight Zone episode and a camera style that follows the illustrations of many great graphic novels; I have, and continue to enjoy this heavily shadowed cosmos.

Moonstruck

Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!

Considering many of the reviews for my nomination I should begin with an apology for putting many of you through this average film. Even if it may be a fun lil gem for me.
Specifically when it comes to Olympia Dukakis - I just love her in this little RomCom that plays (loosely) from inspiration of the opera "La bohème".

The reason I had went with this was simply to add a little light fluff into what, normally, when it comes to a number General Hall of Fames, some very heavily emotional films.
It was amusingly ironic that this HoF has quite a number of "lighter" films in it.
Go figure lol

Still, SOME ONE has to take up the final position and looks like it's going to be me on this one.

Any ole way, I do enjoy - well, a lot of the things and the secondary characters that most of you, did not. They make me smile. And, at times, laugh. And I do enjoy the interactions between a lot of them as well. And I just love that house of theirs. All those knick-knacks and family photos. There's a kind of nostalgia to it all that puts a warm smile on face.

The trick is not minding

Moonstruck

Rose: Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I'm gonna kick you 'til you're dead!

Considering many of the reviews for my nomination I should begin with an apology for putting many of you through this average film. Even if it may be a fun lil gem for me.
Specifically when it comes to Olympia Dukakis - I just love her in this little RomCom that plays (loosely) from inspiration of the opera "La bohème".

The reason I had went with this was simply to add a little light fluff into what, normally, when it comes to a number General Hall of Fames, some very heavily emotional films.
It was amusingly ironic that this HoF has quite a number of "lighter" films in it.
Go figure lol

Still, SOME ONE has to take up the final position and looks like it's going to be me on this one.

Any ole way, I do enjoy - well, a lot of the things and the secondary characters that most of you, did not. They make me smile. And, at times, laugh. And I do enjoy the interactions between a lot of them as well. And I just love that house of theirs. All those knick-knacks and family photos. There's a kind of nostalgia to it all that puts a warm smile on face.
I actually really enjoyed this film. And I’m not a big fan of Norman Jewison.

Considering many of the reviews for my nomination I should begin with an apology for putting many of you through this average film.
Absolutely no reason to apologize for choosing any movie, as long as it's one you genuinely enjoy.

Absolutely no reason to apologize for choosing any movie, as long as it's one you genuinely enjoy.
you keep being such a sweetheart and we may have to take away your "Bitch" title

THANK YOU, my dear.

Been in these long enough to know how they go, so, at this point, it's just simple courtesy, really.

you keep being such a sweetheart and we may have to take away your "Bitch" title
That day will never come.

Also, I may or may not sometimes let my choice of nomination be influenced by who I think won't like it and how much pleasure I get out of annoying them.

That day will never come.

Also, I may or may not sometimes let my choice of nomination be influenced by who I think won't like it and how much pleasure I get out of annoying them.
LOL
you are SO my kind of sass!!

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Moonstruck

I had no idea what this movie was about, all I know of it was Cher on an Oscar and the "famous" scene where she slaps Nic Cage across the face to "get out of it". So I went in completely blind, figured it was a romantic comedy of sorts.

Then we get a film about infidelity. I didn't know if I was supposed to be rooting for these two people to get together in the end or not. I certainly didn't believe the love aspect of their relationship, but Cher was 100 percent committed to the role and turned in a really great performance. She's the type of woman who stands up for herself, tells it like it is...which is why I was so surprised to see her fall victim to a demanding Cage. I want you in my bed, boom she goes for it?

Olympia Dukakis also turned in a great performance and you get the sense of why Cher's character is so strong willed. These woman tell it like it is....then allow their "lovers" to walk all over them? it's definitely a mixed message for these characters. Overall, I liked the characters and the performances.

The film was short on laughs, but it picked up for me after the Opera house. Really enjoyed the final scene at the breakfast table, sheer awkwardness and anticipation. Well done. I also enjoyed the scenes with Fraiser's dad and Dukakis, they had a great energy to them. Not a bad nomination, but not really memorable.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Pride

I saw this film when it was first released and the ending got to me. It works because the characters go through so much pain and suffering and to witness someone have your back, in such a grand scale, was an emotional moment. Pride was a movie that I suspected no one had seen and not only that, but many of you had not even heard of it. So I'm glad that I was able to get some more eyes on it.

Not wanting to shine the light on just one character, Pride is an ensemble piece, highlighting moments from these characters who go on a mission to help the helpless. The cast is stacked and everyone turns in solid work. The entire film feels passionate about something and it comes through in the direction and performances. The film is an under the radar movie that sneaks up on you with how good it actually is. It's a bit of a surprise and I'm glad that (most) people are reacting positively towards it.