I didn't understand part of the plot to Touch of Evil (1958)

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
I feel it was really far fetched how the villain, Quinlan, was able to frame Vargas's wife for murder. All he did was have the woman raped and drugged and kidnapped, and then planted her at the scene of a dead body. But is that really enough evidence to hold up for framing someone for murder. Back in the 50s, if a woman is shown evidence to be kidnapped, drugged, and raped, and then planted next to a murdered body, would the court by it as a enough evidence to stick, as oppose to her just being drugged, raped, and planted there by someone else? It just seemed so flimsy, evidence wise

Another thing, why was the Janet Leigh character trying to keep her husband in the dark, near the beginning, of she talked to, but then changed her mind once she was delivered the note? Why not just be honest with her husband and tell the truth?

I don't believe that Quinlan actually believed that Mrs. Vargas (Leigh) would be convicted of Grandi's murder. He put her in that uncompromising position merely to shame and discredit Vargas-- because of how bad it looked.

As far as her being mute about her initial encounter with Grandi, I think she believed it was silly, and did not want to upset her husband.

Oh okay, but if she wouldn't be convicted than why did Vargas kept acting like it was the end of the world for his wife then? Why didn't he think oh this won't stick at all?

Plus how is this suppose to discredit Vargas? If a detective is investigating the corruption of a top police officer, then all of a sudden, a few hours later that detectives wife is kidnapped and drugged, possibly raped, and then ends up next to a dead mob boss, doesn't that raise suspicions like maybe the officer being investigated is making it personal against the detective investigating him?

Oh okay, but if she wouldn't be convicted than why did Vargas kept acting like it was the end of the world for his wife then? Why didn't he think oh this won't stick at all?

Plus how is this suppose to discredit Vargas? If a detective is investigating the corruption of a top police officer, then all of a sudden, a few hours later that detectives wife is kidnapped and drugged, possibly raped, and then ends up next to a dead mob boss, doesn't that raise suspicions like maybe the officer being investigated is making it personal against the detective investigating him?
Well, in the 1950s all the things that Mrs. Vargas was attempting to be insinuated about and framed for would be tremendously scandalous, especially for the wife of a man in Senor Vargas' position and stature.

Oh okay, but just because you kidnap a woman and drug her and then plant her next to a dead body, that doesn't mean she was mixed up in anything bad though. If she goes public and says someone kidnapped her drugged her and raped her and put her next to the dead body, isn't that a plausible explanation and the public could easily take her side of the story, if her husband stands by her too?